Muster by open list

Discussion in 'History' started by lesart, Mar 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On Beira patrol on Minerva in 1970 we were due a Captain D's inspection. We were due for divisions but wet weather forced a cancellation and instead we had what we were told was a "muster by open list".

Daddy D was set up in the cabin flat with the skipper's table and we had to march up to the table, chop one off and give name, ship's book number and number of good conduct badges that we had.

We were told that this was an old tradition whereby the ship's books were checked to make sure that our captain wasn't entering non-existent ratings on the books then drawing their pay (and badge money) for himself.

Since then I've occasionally tried to find out more information about this but so far no luck. Can somebody tell me if I'm right about the muster and where I can find out more.

2. Never heard of it myself and i did oodles of biera

3. It just so happened that daddy d's inspection came up while we were on Beira and he was on the other ship that was on Beira at the same time as us(I think it was the Cherry B).

4. Muster by the Open List - This is a muster of the entire ship's company, wherein each member reports name, rank and duties on board. This practice originated in the Royal Navy, to counteract the practice of some ship's pursers of having non-existent people on the ship's rolls (and thereby pocketing the pay and benefits of these non-people).

I googled open list and came up with this.
    I remember having to do it once, but did not know what it was called.

5. I never did it once glad we got to the bottom of it though !! :D

6. Never did it on Beira patrol, but it was quite common in the early 50s.

Incidentally Rumrat, when did Repulse take the place of Nelson (in your signature song)?

"This is my story, this is my song.
    We've been in commission too f***ing long,
    Roll on the Nelson, Rodney, Renown.
    This four funnelled bastard is getting me down."

Originally penned by someone lucky enough to have served on one of the fifty obsolescent septic destroyers we gained early in WW2. You can vary the amount of funnels to suit your current ship.
    P'raps the sundodgers changed it when RNB Pompey hi-jacked the name of our patron saint.

2BM

7. 2Badges, my old, just like the Karma Sutra I guess there are several versions and you incline towards those you first tried & enjoyed (Listed or Unlisted :wink: ). Here are a couple I recall:

"This my story, this is my song,
    I've been in the Andrew too Furgling long.
    So roll on the Rodney, the Nelson, the Hood,
    This (n) Funnelled Press Stud is no Ferking good!

"This my story, this is my song,
    I've been in the Nay-vee too Furgling long.
    So roll on the Nelson, the Rodney, Renown,
    You can't get the Hood 'cos the Barsteward 's gone down"

Chorus:
    Hold your own,
    What d’ye say?
    From China to Chathams’ a ferkling long way!

8. I was in Cherry B around that time, we were Capt D1, but I don't recall that we did this exercise, Bilgepump might recall something.
    We replaced Tartar IIRC, so you might have replaced us ?

9. I tried googling it once before but obviously I put the wrong wording in. GIGO.

10. Just shows to go ya. :D Your last Chorus used to belong to an entirely different dit sung to the tune of "Villikins and his Dinah", in my time, and much as I've tried, I can't recall any other words. :(
    Great stuff, this geriatric amnesia. :oops:

2BM

11. I wrote it that way because I was taught it that way. Any complaints jack see your DO. :D :wink:

And when I get lonely, from too long at sea,
    Please don't let the knobbers, start preying on me,
    And roll on the Rodney, and the rest of the fleet,
    I've just got a draft chit, now my life complete. :wink:

12. :lol:

2BM