Muslims too sensitive ?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
chieftiff said:
Clothing, often linked directly to the Muslim religion by the press, is of cultural significance not necessarily religious although Muslim women are urged to dress modestly. A lot of the people claiming racial intolerance due to issues of facial covering are simply charlatans playing up to our modern rights/ litigation led society and simply attracting attention to their own agenda, many will never have lived within the culture to which the rules apply.

Fortunately these people tend to be the exception rather than the rule, I like to compare them to the hoody culture where criminals insist on their right to dress in a manner which conceals their identity. There are people who have been brought up with these local dress customs who may well rightly feel aggrieved at our perceived intolerence, these people are generally not the types to push the law and seek the limelight pursueing occupations and lifestyle which permits them to remain true to their beliefs. There are common sense reasons why our society insists unveiling is necessary- ID cards being one of many, teachers another, security checks etc When these reasons don't apply people should be allowed to live their own lives and dress how they wish, we do still live in the free world!
And for a condensed version of the above - read my last post!

(Sorry CT!)

Jarhead said:
good point AAC but i'm referrng to the vast majority of muslims period, not muslims in the UK.

Some woman in florida tried to get her driver's license taken with her face covered - it was unanimously shot down.
Jarhead,

Just be careful not to conflate how a majority of Muslims appear to behave in Muslim dictatorships, and a minority of Muslims in democracies, with what their actual opinions are. Take Iran for example. Publicly most Iranians appear to be radicals and in support of their government. The reality is very different. We are used to speaking freely. In Syria, Iran, increasingly Iraq and to a lesser degree (but only marginally) Egypt, expressing your real opinions risks torture and imprisonment, even death. What people say when they think government spies are around, or TV cameras are trained upon them, and private feelings are usually very different.

After all, when many Brits think about Christianity in the US their minds focus upon people like Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and my old friend (tongue in cheek) Fred Phelps. :lol:

AAC.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Always_a_Civvy said:
What people say when they think government spies are around, or TV cameras are trained upon them, and private feelings are usually very different.

AAC.
Correctomundo! Just think "Arthur Batchelor, Faye Turney, etc.,"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shakey Diamond Lil's 1
F The Gash Barge 53
higthepig Diamond Lil's 70