Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muslims in the Royal Navy

Rausman1

Midshipman
Hi guys. just wondering. Are there many muslims in the Royal Navy?

As a muslim myself I am joining Raleigh in a few months and just interested to see what it would be like as a muslim.

Rumrat

War Hero
No different to being a catholic I would imagine, and a lot less aggravating that being a Jehovah's witness.
I have never had to tell a bunch of Muslims to piss off from my front door and stop trying to give me a pamphlet on the end of the world.

SphynxPawww

Badgeman
No different to being a catholic I would imagine, and a lot less aggravating that being a Jehovah's witness.
I have never had to tell a bunch of Muslims to piss off from my front door and stop trying to give me a pamphlet on the end of the world.

Lucky you i live right behind a Jehovah Kingdom hall, the bastards are at my door every week

Rumrat

War Hero
Lucky you i live right behind a Jehovah Kingdom hall, the bastards are at my door every week

Nah, not so lucky at all, the KH is about 9 houses down the road.
Then on Sunday the bells on the church start up and siesta is Kaput.
The only thing the local Muslims do to annoy me is waft the smell of meat curry in my direction when I'm stuck with a roast diner that I don't really want.
I love meat curry.

slim

War Hero
My mate Abi Hurji is a Muslim, did his 22 years, he was a great guy and as far as Iknow had only friends and no enemies.
Started as an REM(A) finished as a CPOAEA(R).
Some on here may know Abi as he was the SMR on HMS Manchesters Ships Flight at one time, prior to that he was the R1 on HMS Fife.
However this was prior to 7/11.

tommo

War Hero
We had a Able Seaman Missleman on the Glasgow who was a muslim. The fact he was a muslim never caused an issue in the mess.

Plenty of international Muslims come through BRNC nowadays a well.

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I'm surprised the question was asked. My view was always how good a soldier the person next to me was and could they do the job. I couldn't give a fig for colour/creed/what God they worshipped etc. The only colour i see is Green and the only religion is Mithras.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
There aren't a great deal of Muslims in the RN, but there are a fair few. In the last 18 months I've processed a couple of Muslim Royal Marines for entry and we get a fair few Commonwealth citizens from a variety of faiths, as you'd imagine.

Observation of an exclusively Halal diet can't be guaranteed, but every effort is made to provide an acceptable choice - likewise Kosher and Veggie options. Provision is made on shore establishments for multi-faith religious meetings and everyone will have time during the day, wherever serving, to undertake some form of modified religious observance, should they wish.

soleil

War Hero
Welcome to Rum Ration, Rausman.

Just as a general point, rather than specifically about Raleigh, I thought that you might like to know that, although regular Commissioned Chaplains represent the Christian tradition, they are supported by 5 Civilian Chaplains to the Military (CCM), who represent the major world faiths: Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Sikhism. The Ministy of Defence has also set up a panel of “Religious Advisors to HM Forces”, which has helped to set up a network of local points of contact representing the major world faiths.

This website might interest you:

http://www.afma.org.uk/index.html

Last edited:

Rumrat

War Hero
I'm surprised the question was asked. My view was always how good a soldier the person next to me was and could they do the job. I couldn't give a fig for colour/creed/what God they worshipped etc. The only colour i see is Green and the only religion is Mithras.

Yeah but lets be honest beggers can't be choosers.;-):laughing6:

G

guestm

As a muslim myself I am joining Raleigh in a few months and just interested to see what it would be like as a muslim.

It will be no different to anyone else. You will get beasted, shag some slapper from another division in the church bogs (it's outside the church, don't worry) you will iron some kit, polish some footwear, have a shit beret, eat shit scran which may or may not be halaal, knock a clubswinger out in wheelers, along with 5 mates consider a gash tattoo of your division, wisely reconsider the gash tattoo, get flashed up at fat ******* on Dartmoor, get a bit tired and as long as you're not a total spastic, pass into the fleet..

Last edited by a moderator:
My mate Abi Hurji is a Muslim, did his 22 years, he was a great guy and as far as Iknow had only friends and no enemies.
Started as an REM(A) finished as a CPOAEA(R).
Some on here may know Abi as he was the SMR on HMS Manchesters Ships Flight at one time, prior to that he was the R1 on HMS Fife.
However this was prior to 7/11.

was my watch chief on 360 squadron, was a great guy. Quick google search and here he is!!!

http://www.cambsfire.gov.uk/images/Content/Central_Task_Force_rdax_88.jpg

Last edited:

Rausman1

Midshipman
Welcome to Rum Ration, Rausman.

Just as a general point, rather than specifically about Raleigh, I thought that you might like to know that, although regular Commissioned Chaplains represent the Christian tradition, they are supported by 5 Civilian Chaplains to the Military (CCM), who represent the major world faiths: Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Sikhism. The Ministy of Defence has also set up a panel of “Religious Advisors to HM Forces”, which has helped to set up a network of local points of contact representing the major world faiths.

This website might interest you:

http://www.afma.org.uk/index.html

Thanks a lot mate.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
For the OP (and any other Muslims thinking of joining). The Church of Scotland Chaplain in Raleigh looks after Muslims whilst they are at Raleigh and you just need to let him know your requirements. Raleigh does have a prayer room set aside for Muslim matelots, hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Muslims at Sea , National Maritime Museum History 0
MoD_RSS News story: Mordaunt Cohen: A Jewish officer commanding African Muslims in Burma MoD News 0
soleil Independent: "Muslims In The Armed Forces: A Proud Tradition" MoD News 21
soleil BBC Asian Network: "UK's Muslim soldiers ‘fighting extremists not Muslims'" Current Affairs 3
andym Muslims Against Remembrance Day The Gash Barge 4
wet_blobby Muslims get Queens medal banned Current Affairs 12
Oil_Slick Bishop warns of no-go zones for non-Muslims Current Affairs 29
slim One in 11 British Muslims backs suicide bombers, says Brown Diamond Lil's 1
NotmeChief Mortgages for muslims Diamond Lil's 10
slim EUROPE TELLS BRITAIN: DON'T SAY 'MUSLIMS' Diamond Lil's 67
slim One in four Muslims thinks the state was involved in 7/7 att Diamond Lil's 15
N Why We Have Problems with Muslims Current Affairs 68
P Muslims too sensitive ? The Gash Barge 42
Shakey Christians and Muslims, unite and fight! Diamond Lil's 1
F Muslims The Gash Barge 53
higthepig muslims upset? Diamond Lil's 70
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Mail to collect COVID-19 test kits 7 days a week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Immigration Act receives Royal Assent: free movement to end on 31 December 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
Rai999 Permanently medically unfit ( Royal marine commando Joining the Royal Navy 4
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Royal Marines train with cutting-edge autonomous technology in Cyprus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Helen’s Law receives Royal Assent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Appointment of Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Prisons MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sentencing Code granted Royal Assent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New partnership with The Alan Turing Institute and Royal Statistical Society to support Joint Biosecurity Centre COVID-19 response MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil Royal Marines Charity: "Mark Ormrod Awarded MBE" The Corps 1
soleil Daily Mail: "Proud Dad Gordon Ramsay Reveals Son Jack, 20, Has Joined The Royal Marines" The Corps 5
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21
MoD_RSS Royal Air Force A400M showcased in Kazakhstan MoD News 0
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil FB: The Bands Of HM Royal Marines:: The 31st Anniversary Of The Deal Barracks Bombing The Corps 2
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
MoD_RSS Royal Marines accommodation in Lympstone reaches milestone MoD News 0
H Royal Navy Push up standards Joining the Royal Navy 5