Muslims in the Royal Navy

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Rausman1, Jan 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys. just wondering. Are there many muslims in the Royal Navy?

As a muslim myself I am joining Raleigh in a few months and just interested to see what it would be like as a muslim.
  2. Might be different nowadays.
    Never knew of or met one in my 20 years.
  3. No different to being a catholic I would imagine, and a lot less aggravating that being a Jehovah's witness.
    I have never had to tell a bunch of Muslims to piss off from my front door and stop trying to give me a pamphlet on the end of the world.

4. Lucky you i live right behind a Jehovah Kingdom hall, the bastards are at my door every week
  5. Nah, not so lucky at all, the KH is about 9 houses down the road.
    Then on Sunday the bells on the church start up and siesta is Kaput.
    The only thing the local Muslims do to annoy me is waft the smell of meat curry in my direction when I'm stuck with a roast diner that I don't really want.
    I love meat curry.
  6. You may have to slit the throats of your own food for scran though
  7. My mate Abi Hurji is a Muslim, did his 22 years, he was a great guy and as far as Iknow had only friends and no enemies.
    Started as an REM(A) finished as a CPOAEA(R).
    Some on here may know Abi as he was the SMR on HMS Manchesters Ships Flight at one time, prior to that he was the R1 on HMS Fife.
    However this was prior to 7/11.
  8. We had a Able Seaman Missleman on the Glasgow who was a muslim. The fact he was a muslim never caused an issue in the mess.

Plenty of international Muslims come through BRNC nowadays a well.

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. ....................We take Jocks, boggies and sheep shaggers; why should we have any issue with taking a muslim?
  10. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'm surprised the question was asked. My view was always how good a soldier the person next to me was and could they do the job. I couldn't give a fig for colour/creed/what God they worshipped etc. The only colour i see is Green and the only religion is Mithras.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There aren't a great deal of Muslims in the RN, but there are a fair few. In the last 18 months I've processed a couple of Muslim Royal Marines for entry and we get a fair few Commonwealth citizens from a variety of faiths, as you'd imagine.

Observation of an exclusively Halal diet can't be guaranteed, but every effort is made to provide an acceptable choice - likewise Kosher and Veggie options. Provision is made on shore establishments for multi-faith religious meetings and everyone will have time during the day, wherever serving, to undertake some form of modified religious observance, should they wish.
  12. Welcome to Rum Ration, Rausman.

Just as a general point, rather than specifically about Raleigh, I thought that you might like to know that, although regular Commissioned Chaplains represent the Christian tradition, they are supported by 5 Civilian Chaplains to the Military (CCM), who represent the major world faiths: Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Sikhism. The Ministy of Defence has also set up a panel of “Religious Advisors to HM Forces”, which has helped to set up a network of local points of contact representing the major world faiths.

This website might interest you:
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  13. Yeah but lets be honest beggers can't be choosers.;-):laughing6:
  14. It will be no different to anyone else. You will get beasted, shag some slapper from another division in the church bogs (it's outside the church, don't worry) you will iron some kit, polish some footwear, have a shit beret, eat shit scran which may or may not be halaal, knock a clubswinger out in wheelers, along with 5 mates consider a gash tattoo of your division, wisely reconsider the gash tattoo, get flashed up at fat ******* on Dartmoor, get a bit tired and as long as you're not a total spastic, pass into the fleet..
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. was my watch chief on 360 squadron, was a great guy. Quick google search and here he is!!!
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  16. Thanks a lot mate.
  17. For the OP (and any other Muslims thinking of joining). The Church of Scotland Chaplain in Raleigh looks after Muslims whilst they are at Raleigh and you just need to let him know your requirements. Raleigh does have a prayer room set aside for Muslim matelots, hope this helps.
    • Like Like x 1