Muslim cleric loses extradition appeal

slim

War Hero
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080620/tpl-uk-britain-cleric-81f3b62.html

Muslim cleric loses extradition appeal
Reuters - 1 hour 30 minutes agoLONDON (Reuters) - Radical Muslim cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri lost a court battle on Friday to block his extradition to the United States where he faces terrorism-related charges.

He had said the extradition request was founded on evidence obtained by torture.

His lawyers argued that to send him to the United States to face charges dating back to 2000 would be "unjust and oppressive" because of the length of time that has passed since then.

In dismissing the challenge, Igor Judge said: "The 2003 Extradition Act must be applied and our extradition commitments honoured."

Hamza, who is serving a 7-year jail term in Britain for inciting his followers to murder non-believers, is accused of attempting to set up a terrorist training camp in Bly, Oregon, from 1999 to early 2000.

The Egyptian-born cleric, who applauded the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington in 2001, also faces charges that he was involved in plotting the seizure of 16 Western hostages in Yemen in 1998.

Four of the hostages, three Britons and an Australian, were killed when Yemeni troops stormed the militants' hide-out.

Police say his mosque in London had acted as a base for militants.


Is this he first of many sensible judgements?
 
Lets hope this is the start of something useful.
It's about time this gutless government did the right thing for once.
As for Mosques being used for terrorist meetings, this was happening as far back as 1991, at least in Manchester it was.
Mind you, he hasn't gone yet so I won't hold my breath.
 
Grim_Reaper said:
Lets hope this is the start of something useful.
It's about time this gutless government did the right thing for once.
As for Mosques being used for terrorist meetings, this was happening as far back as 1991, at least in Manchester it was.
Mind you, he hasn't gone yet so I won't hold my breath.

This like all such decisions is a legal one not a government one. :roll:
 
Ah yes, the legal profession.
I have had enough dealings with them to have little or no respect for them at all.
I'm sure they will make a few more grand out of this before it's all over.
 
slim said:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080620/tpl-uk-britain-cleric-81f3b62.html

Muslim cleric loses extradition appeal
Reuters - 1 hour 30 minutes agoLONDON (Reuters) - Radical Muslim cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri lost a court battle on Friday to block his extradition to the United States where he faces terrorism-related charges.

He had said the extradition request was founded on evidence obtained by torture.

His lawyers argued that to send him to the United States to face charges dating back to 2000 would be "unjust and oppressive" because of the length of time that has passed since then.

In dismissing the challenge, Igor Judge said: "The 2003 Extradition Act must be applied and our extradition commitments honoured."

Hamza, who is serving a 7-year jail term in Britain for inciting his followers to murder non-believers, is accused of attempting to set up a terrorist training camp in Bly, Oregon, from 1999 to early 2000.

The Egyptian-born cleric, who applauded the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington in 2001, also faces charges that he was involved in plotting the seizure of 16 Western hostages in Yemen in 1998.

Four of the hostages, three Britons and an Australian, were killed when Yemeni troops stormed the militants' hide-out.

Police say his mosque in London had acted as a base for militants.


Is this he first of many sensible judgements?

As stated earlier: one law for Christians who make repeated death threats and another for Muslims who say it just once.

I'll get me 'at!
 
As much as I detest the rather one sided extradition agreement we have with the US, I am rather pleased with this result. Don't be surprised, though, if this goes on appeal to the European Court and he remains here stealing our oxygen and victuals.
 

slim

War Hero
Passed-over_Loggie said:
As much as I detest the rather one sided extradition agreement we have with the US, I am rather pleased with this result. Don't be surprised, though, if this goes on appeal to the European Court and he remains here stealing our oxygen and victuals.

Perhaps final avenue will be the Lords. Lets hope that they make the right decision and eject him.
WTF there is no reason that if his appeal is successful why he can't be deported to Egypt on completion of his sentence. Send him and his family back.
 

AfterSSE

War Hero
thingy said:
As stated earlier: one law for Christians who make repeated death threats and another for Muslims who say it just once.

I'll get me 'at!

When was the last time you saw one with plastique strapped to themselves?
 
slim said:
Passed-over_Loggie said:
As much as I detest the rather one sided extradition agreement we have with the US, I am rather pleased with this result. Don't be surprised, though, if this goes on appeal to the European Court and he remains here stealing our oxygen and victuals.

Perhaps final avenue will be the Lords. Lets hope that they make the right decision and eject him.
WTF there is no reason that if his appeal is successful why he can't be deported to Egypt on completion of his sentence. Send him and his family back.

You must excuse my ignorance in legal matters but what has that un-elected rabble got to do with it?
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
finknottle said:
slim said:
Passed-over_Loggie said:
As much as I detest the rather one sided extradition agreement we have with the US, I am rather pleased with this result. Don't be surprised, though, if this goes on appeal to the European Court and he remains here stealing our oxygen and victuals.

Perhaps final avenue will be the Lords. Lets hope that they make the right decision and eject him.
WTF there is no reason that if his appeal is successful why he can't be deported to Egypt on completion of his sentence. Send him and his family back.

You must excuse my ignorance in legal matters but what has that un-elected rabble got to do with it?

If an appeal case was deemed to be one of public importance, cases can be referred to the House of Lords, who will have the final decision on the matter. They may receive cases referred from both the Civil and Criminal Divisions of the Court of Appeal and also, in exceptional circumstances, the High Court.
 
When you say the House of Lords I imagine that the ruling would be made by law lords not the whole 2nd chamber of un-elected old duffers?
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top