Muslim cleric loses extradition appeal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by slim, Jun 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080620/tpl-uk-britain-cleric-81f3b62.html

Muslim cleric loses extradition appeal
    Reuters - 1 hour 30 minutes agoLONDON (Reuters) - Radical Muslim cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri lost a court battle on Friday to block his extradition to the United States where he faces terrorism-related charges.

He had said the extradition request was founded on evidence obtained by torture.

His lawyers argued that to send him to the United States to face charges dating back to 2000 would be "unjust and oppressive" because of the length of time that has passed since then.

In dismissing the challenge, Igor Judge said: "The 2003 Extradition Act must be applied and our extradition commitments honoured."

Hamza, who is serving a 7-year jail term in Britain for inciting his followers to murder non-believers, is accused of attempting to set up a terrorist training camp in Bly, Oregon, from 1999 to early 2000.

The Egyptian-born cleric, who applauded the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington in 2001, also faces charges that he was involved in plotting the seizure of 16 Western hostages in Yemen in 1998.

Four of the hostages, three Britons and an Australian, were killed when Yemeni troops stormed the militants' hide-out.

Police say his mosque in London had acted as a base for militants.

Is this he first of many sensible judgements?

2. Lets hope this is the start of something useful.
    It's about time this gutless government did the right thing for once.
    As for Mosques being used for terrorist meetings, this was happening as far back as 1991, at least in Manchester it was.
    Mind you, he hasn't gone yet so I won't hold my breath.

3. This like all such decisions is a legal one not a government one. :roll:

4. Ah yes, the legal profession.
    I have had enough dealings with them to have little or no respect for them at all.
    I'm sure they will make a few more grand out of this before it's all over.

5. As stated earlier: one law for Christians who make repeated death threats and another for Muslims who say it just once.

I'll get me 'at!

6. As much as I detest the rather one sided extradition agreement we have with the US, I am rather pleased with this result. Don't be surprised, though, if this goes on appeal to the European Court and he remains here stealing our oxygen and victuals.

7. Perhaps final avenue will be the Lords. Lets hope that they make the right decision and eject him.
    WTF there is no reason that if his appeal is successful why he can't be deported to Egypt on completion of his sentence. Send him and his family back.

8. When was the last time you saw one with plastique strapped to themselves?

9. You must excuse my ignorance in legal matters but what has that un-elected rabble got to do with it?

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If an appeal case was deemed to be one of public importance, cases can be referred to the House of Lords, who will have the final decision on the matter. They may receive cases referred from both the Civil and Criminal Divisions of the Court of Appeal and also, in exceptional circumstances, the High Court.

11. When you say the House of Lords I imagine that the ruling would be made by law lords not the whole 2nd chamber of un-elected old duffers?

12. sgtpepperband

Fink: Your imagination is correct... :wink:

13. Splendid SPB, Splendid.

14. Bloody hell; you've set finknottle off now!

Pray remember The European Court of Justice. If the terr huggers don't get a result in the Lords they still have the ECJ. As the Septics still have the death sentence, that may just be Capt Hook's get out card; as I understand it.

15. I know the lady wife tells me that I am like a coiled spring waiting for certain topics to be mentioned, personally I prefer the cobra waiting to strike analogy.

16. sgtpepperband

An appeal in the ECJ would only be referred or heard there if the case was in relation to a provision of European Law (e.g. Human Rights Act); as this case is in reference to the The 2003 Extradition Act, a UK law, then the UK judicial appeal process is the final one.

As stated previously, the House of Lords is the final court of appeal in England, Wales and North Ireland in both civil and criminal matters (and for Scottish civil matters).

The appeals are referred to and heard by Lords or Appeal in Ordinary, generally known as the Law Lords, of which there are currently twelve. 'In Ordinary' means that the Lords work full time on the judicial business of the House of Lords and receive a salary. Their salary is paid from a consolidated fund (revenues hld in the Exchequer account at the Bank of England), which helps ensure their independence.

A person wishing to appeal to the House of Lords must seek leave to appeal by petition. Petitions are considered by an Appeal Committee of three Law Lords. The Committee's decision to allow or refuse a petition will depend on whether the case involves a point o law of general public importance that ought to be considered by the House. The Appeal Committee works mainly on the basis of written submisions. Each year about hree hundred and fifty applications are made for leave to appeal and about a hundred are allowed.