Music

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Lynx101, Jun 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I was wondering as there are so many clubs and organisation to take part in such as diving and skiing etc, are there ways you can learn a musical instrument when you are in the service?
    Many Thanks

2. I hear that one eyed piccolo playing may be practised :p
    Also every station has a Muff Diving club :oops:

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Royal Marines Band Service seem to manage training an individual from scratch to Grade 8 on a second instrument in two years eight months, so there's no shortage of volunteer bands & trained RM Band musicians that may be willing to assist a budding amateur musician.

There are plenty of adventurous training opportunities & sports clubs within the RN & RM - have a look on the RN website for listings of available sports.

4. I joined as a naive 16 year old and within 2 years I could play the big O.D. :D

5. Brilliant, all the clubs (Muff diving especially) sound great! I have always wanted to play the trumpet, I took lessons when I was in year 4 and was quite good but then had to stop when I changed schools. Cheers all for a speedy reply!

6. There will always be someone in the mess who's good at blowing their own trumpet (gives you a crick in the neck though...allegedly)

7. I thought you needed your bottom ribs out for that one?

8. Depends who's offering!! :D :D

9. My bottom doesn't have any ribs.

10. Does that mean you can fcuk yourself? :D :D :D