Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Spry, Jan 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. about 2 years ago i was offered a position to play bass in the national jazz orchestra, and i would like to carry on playing when in the Navy. How much of a hassle is it to take an instrument on board and get time to PLAY it? Ive heard there are bands on board.

2. When you say "Bass" do you mean Double Bass big violin shaped jazz bass?
    Or do you mean Bass as in looks like a Guitar but with four strings?

If its the big violin, then good luck with taking it and keeping it onboard.
    If its the four string guitar then no problems, in fact most ships bands have a clear need of musical direction in the bass department!

3. Most shore establishments will have its band and always seem to be looking for new members to join in.
  4. Things have changed a lot since I left, Many establishments had a Blue Jacket Brass band and they were usually very good and also usually meant you got special duties (whoopeee).
    Also many ships seem to acquire a ships group, just a few lads who wanted to play music. On the old Ark Royal we had some excellent groups many who played gigs wherever the ship docked.
    So hopefully things haven't changed too much and you can continue enjoying your music. :p
  5. Ipods seem to have taken a place .............
  6. I know Sultan still has a band, so do most ships, of some form or other.
    Quite a few on my ship play guitar, and a couple play keyboards too so I can't see you having any problems :)
  7. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I never had enough space to stash all my kit never mind a double bass.
  8. Nor me, I even had a locker built in some gash space in the hanger access space on the Euryalus!!!!!

How many beer cans does a bass geeetar take up? Mind you a double bass could hide a goodly number of cans!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
  9. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

must have been a different 'Euryalus' to mine(1953), we never had helicopters.
  10. Do you mean one of these.... :biggrin:

Or one of these? :lol: