Music

ET(WE)Sutton

Lantern Swinger
Am Quite Curious To Know What Sailors Music Tastes Are Like From Back In The Day Of The 70s All The Way Up To Know.

Personally I Love House Having Been A House Deejay I Love It... Anything From Latin & Twisted House To The Down Right Dirty, Tribal And Minmal House...

What About Yourself?

What of the 60s - some say the music started from then....

My other half keeps badgering me to get rid of LPs/45s, but I resist claiming its memories :D

ET(WE)Sutton

Lantern Swinger
you should never get rid of your vinyls.. (i did though) only mine was a small collection as i use cds.. because i travel alot more obviously in the navy.

my brothers lp collection is onto like 3000 all house and bout 1000 others.

I like most music from the seventies onwards.
Was lucky enough to be brought up on the likes of Santana, Camel, Steve Hillage etc etc with some Cars, Marillion, Iron Maiden and Venom thrown in as I got older.
Nowadays its more like SOAD for me, but I still like classical as well ;)
(Bit confused really, aren't I :D)

whitemouse said:
What of the 60s - some say the music started from then....

My other half keeps badgering me to get rid of LPs/45s, but I resist claiming its memories :D
I agree with Pooley - keep your vinyl Whitemouse. I've got recordings of the same concert on both vinyl and CD and have played them through my CD system (Cyrus CDXt transport and seperate Cyrus DAC) and can tell you that they still sound better on vinyl even playing them on my old Rega P3, RB300 tonearm and my old £130 MM cartridge! (Which is saying something!). They sound even better on a Michell turntable though. And may sound better still when I upgrade to a VPi next year.

Just compare Kate Bush's (original) 45 Wuthering Hights with the CD version - there's no competition - vinyl wins hands down.

Ah, but the point is Steve - will your cds last as long as my vinyls ?

Recent research alleges that cds suffer from degeneration - come to think of it a bit like some of us old salts really..... 8O

:D

whitemouse said:
Ah, but the point is Steve - will your cds last as long as my vinyls ?

Recent research alleges that cds suffer from degeneration - come to think of it a bit like some of us old salts really..... 8O

:D
I'm agreeing with you Whitemouse... keep the vinyls... I'm buying NEW vinyl again where I can (eg NAIM have their own label and make recordings available in both CD and Vinyl formats). I've still got a 78 (shellac) of part of King George VI's Coronation in good condition (one of my former work colleagues sang in Westminster Choir at that Coronation). Nothing beats the atmosphere of vinyl!

Steve. :D

andym

War Hero
BeBopDelux,MinkDeVille,Asia,Boston,Whitesnake,PinkFloyd,AC/DC,Saxon, Iron Maiden,Status Quo,Bob Dylan,Thin Lizzy. I think thats enough to be going on with!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Stones, Beatles, Pacemakers, Sandy Shaw, Manfred Mann, Animals, Quo, Pink Floyd, Elvis, Johnny Cash, etc

2badge_mango

War Hero
Sunday nights in Gunboat Yard huts (HMS Hornet) in the 50's, illicitly listening to the top 20 on Radio Luxembourg over the SRE (if the Duty PO hadn't turned it off). Ahhh! Bring back Doris Day!!!

2BM

higthepig said:
Shit, why did i waste my time abroad.
The glamour, the excitement of being in foreign parts (countries as well as ladies !! :wink: ) convivial atmosphere partaking of local brews (and local ladies), the occasional get together, coupled with strong disagreements, with the members of another country's navy - usually the elmers.
And not forgetting the odd penny per day (taxed) of extra pay for being there....the list is endless

If you had your time again, what would you do ?

:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Grassroots Music venues to be saved by government cash MoD News 0
Stirlin Music with bollox. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 2
soleil Mountbatten Festival Of Music - 2020 Virtual Concert The Corps 0
MoD_RSS Music firms illegally prevented discounts, CMA alleges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New National Plan to shape the future of music education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Week in Paraguay celebrates education, music and more MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Travel tips and advice if you're heading to a music festival in Portugal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK Music Industry Backs #BeSafeBeSound Campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Not-for-profit music enterprise boss banned for second time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Revisions to music and dance GCSE, AS and A levels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Consultation on changes to performance rules in GCSE, AS and A level music and dance MoD News 0
Capn_Pugwash Last Post and Reveille - sheet music History 2
MoD_RSS News story: Record numbers learning instruments in class thanks to music hubs MoD News 0
soleil LIVE STREAM: The Mountbatten Festival of Music 2018 - Live from Saturday 10 March at 19:25 PM The Corps 1
janner I'm strangely attracted to this music genre!! Diamond Lil's 4
MichaelBully1 A classical music concert to commemorate Jutland-The Barbican 15th June Charity 0
BillyNoMates Every Forum should have its' own theme music. The Gash Barge 1
janner Music 1960-2013 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 5
W What music do you run to? Health & Fitness 23
soleil Mountbatten Festival Of Music - 13th/14th/15th March 2014 The Corps 1
drewfester Star shaped man in a music video Current Affairs 0
soleil RM Chaplain Speaking On R4, "Soul Music - Brothers In Arms" The Corps 3
janner Cemetery Music......... Miscellaneous 0
Topstop A nice bit of music, a sobering film. Motoring 4
BillyNoMates MJ's *THRILLER* music video to be re-released (updated content). Diamond Lil's 5
S Ambulance Drivers Bring Music to Camp Bastion The Corps 2
scouse My choice of music. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
the_black_strat Which Song or Music sends shivers down your spine? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 61
jesse Help, anybody know the title of the theme music to the 1956 film "The March Hare"? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 5
S New Music Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 18
2 arms drill music Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
F For anyone who likes music or girls look at this Diamond Lil's 15
tug1970 Dodgy Music........... Diamond Lil's 61
soleil Mountbatten Festival Of Music 2011-Tickets On Sale 01/11/10 The Corps 9
S "Music" by John Miles Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 9
chieftiff Workout Music Health & Fitness 27
Gombear Music to die by Diamond Lil's 43
soleil Mountbatten Festival of Music The Corps 10
Ninja_Stoker How to Make iPhone Ringtone From DVD Music/Music/Video? Site Issues 14
NotmeChief Is this the smoothest man in the music industry? Social & Reunions 3
soleil Mountbatten Festival of Music at the Royal Albert Hall The Corps 7
scouse Best classical music. EVER!! Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 12
A The End of popular music as we know it. The Gash Barge 3
daffy1 Streaming music The Internet - Best and Worst 3
Lynx101 Music Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
soleil Cambridge Music and Fireworks Spectacular Charity 0
Andrew_1980 Playing music in't Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
S Music Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Rock music at Nelsons this Tuesday (23rd Sept) Social & Reunions 7
S Rock Band: "British Sea Power", two interesting music videos History 3