Muscular/Athletic physiques and high BMI?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by hello_there, Aug 3, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What would be the most likely scenario with regards to someone who had a high BMI (not fat, but due to increased muscle mass from previous sporting activities) passing the medical? I am 6ft and around 15 stone. The "healthy" weight range for my height is a max of 13.5 stone. My bf % is quite low and the excess weight is definitely muscle mass, I weight train as a hobby and have even competed in a few events.

I realize that BMI is only a general idea of someone's health and Id imagine a doctor would also factor in bf%, is that true? I just seen in one of the leaflets that's all that your weight MUST be in the healthy BMI range.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As ever a contentious & subjective issue, but nevertheless it's the standard applied for entry into the Naval Service. Many would agree it's ridiculous, outrageous, preposterous, stupid, etc., etc., but it's the standard applied.

Generally speaking a "healthy BMI" is between about 18-25. The Navy, being good eggs, will allow you to stretch it to about 28 if fit as a whippet, with a minimal waist measurement & a low fat count. On rare occasions, I've seen muscle-bound professional rugby-playing indivividuals, with superb CV fitness, able to run 3 miles in sub 21 minutes, be given the benefit of the doubt.

Truth is, most people with a BMI over 28 are just fat & unfit.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thanks. I suppose this is quite good news considering mine is not as bad as I first thought (27.5), Id also have no problem with the fitness requirements. I understand why it is used since its simple and as you mentioned it is an accurate reflection of most peoples health/fitness, probably 90%+. However I don't see how it could be so complex to simply factor bf% into the equation, we all know that muscle weighs more than fat and it is certainly not true that muscle will "weigh you down" in the same way that fat would. A flawed system imo, but now I am starting to go off topic. :)

I am of course willing to lose the weight without a doubt, but its more a question of whether or not I absolutely must since of course id rather not? Would it be better to just play it safe and drop a stone just to be sure, instead of taking the risk of possibly having to retake the medical?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

You're probably OK at 27.5, but obviously, it's not good ju-ju to rock-up on PRNC banging on the door of a 28 BMI.

I need to lie down now, as I've used a bit too much hip jive talk, dude.

5. The rules are sub 28 BMI, but if you are of 28-32 BMI they will check your waist measurement which need to be sub 94cm to be classed to be of "muscular build". BMI is weight(kg)/height(m)^2. I had to lose about 10kg to be classed as "healthy" even though I played regional rugby :') I guess they want people to be able to run the enormous decks of the ship when shit hits the fan not actually being able to lift heavy equipment.... So hello_there lay off the deadlifts :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. 94cm? Good lord, that's massive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

It's a big problem with Royal Marine trained ranks wishing to rejoin. The standards for entry apply equally & at lot of Royals during the Herrick era, like their Army counterparts, undertook Op Mahoosive whilst deployed.

(Not a problem at the moment as we are marginally overmanned in most specs, so turning-away anyone who isn't Armourer, SF, SFC, Tels Tech or VM. )

8. Tels Tech - a very odd SQ.

9. My waist is well below 94 so that's good I suppose I will still diet though just to be sure.

10. Fishead poof.

11. I'm surprised Martin Baker let you sit on their equipment; did you have a special "fat bastard" seat?

12. Equal and opposite reactions old chap; I just stayed put and the aircraft ejected downwards. Same as doing the sea rescue drills; I remained in the water and winched the helicopter down to me :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, one that gets confused with Comms Tech.
    Likewise, when you get in that jumbo jet, the earth drops away? ;)

14. Gravity is a myth - the Earth sucks!

15. There was a girl on my prnc who had a bmi in excess of 28, they took her aside afterwards and did a waist tape meisurement, presumably taking into consideration muscle mass could of affected her weight/bmi. Anyway she was absolutely fine! Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ninja_Stoker

If the fitness test is passed on PRNC but the bmi is high-end, you are given advice and remain on-course to join. If you arrive at Raleigh with a bmi over 28, there is a high probability you'll be sent home.

• Like Like x 1