Mum flies out to join son on front line

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by sgtpepperband, Dec 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

[Full story]
  2. "But I've already warned him to call me ma'am and not mum." Class. :thumright:
  3. I know most parents have an Inkling of what their sons face on the front line but i reckon this lads mum is going to find it very tough. Not only will she be aware of every tasking he gets sent on but she will be dealing with possibly lots of serious casualties. Each to their own and all that but If i was Tom I would be threaders about his mums posting to the same region.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I have to agree with Luke, his Mum will potentially be dealing with casualties from 40 Cdo - most people would find it difficult anyway, but it'll be far harder for the Mother of one of their comrades.

I wish them both well and a safe return.
  5. Roger that mate,

All the best and safe passage to them both.
  6. I suspect Debbie Aylett has been questioned and asked to think about all of those things by the powers that be. Having chosen to go I'm assuming that her response was the same as any paramedic/nurse/doc dealing with serious casulaties from RTAs, which aint usually very pretty either. Their sons and daughters may be out driving on the roads but they'll put that fact to the back of their minds while they get on with the job.

Two final thoughts: Firstly, it had to happen eventually and reactions to this story may have been different if it was dad going over. Secondly, Tom will get some stick from his mates, that's for sure!

History in the making, best wishes to you both!
  7. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I think, may be wrong, but there is already a mother/daughter or mother/son combo on ops - Pongo's and in either TELIC or HERRICK. I am sure I saw this on the defence Intranet a few weeks back.

I agree wth HB - my wife's a medic, always forgets the 'person' whilst they are being immediately treated, its afterwards when they reflect that its hard.
  8. WD, I'm sure you are correct. I was think more along the lines of bootneck history. In days of yore they went a shootin', a swingin' and a slashin' with Hannah Snell, now ..... :)
  9. Hope her general nursing skills are up to date - not really much need for cardiac nurses out there ;)
  10. Training jumps in it is after you think! Time my five year old son fell on a spiked rail I had to go against the rule book and lift him off with being on our own and the spikes hidden by grass. Long ago before mobile phones where the norm.

Thankfully he made a full recovery.

Safe tour to them both. And there mates!
  11. Harry

Remember going to a multiple pile up on the M5 about 3 years ago around about the time the NJP was due to be heading home from work. Rocked up with my colleague and saw a car that matched hers and my immediate thoughts weren't good as you can imagine. However i composed myself as there was a definate need to Triage the casualties with our main priority being a man with unstable C-spine injuries. Luckily my colleague came back ASAP and told me that the driver of the identical car was a bloke and that he was ok which obviously left me very relieved and tearful/thankful after the event!!
  12. Part of me wants to say, well done to you mate but it doesn't sound right. You know what I mean.