Mtb 781

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Parade_Ho, Mar 7, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have an elderly friend was was an officer on MTB 781 - he's in the picture at this link :-

HM MTB 781 at commissioning

He's just emailed me :-

I have been having second thoughts about the photo of MTB 781! It says it is the commissioning, but when did the Royal Navy ever commission a warship without any guns? It mystified me all along. And of course the answer is that this is not the commissioning at Grimsby but the DE-commissioning at Great Yarmouth in 1945 where all the armament has been removed and just prior to sailing off to the graveyard with a skeleton crew. I shed a tear!

Your thoughts on his question, as ever, much appreciated.
  2. Survey ships never used to be armed and were commissioned warships (dis-regarding small arms), submarines haven't carried deck guns since 1974 so would that count. I'm sure there's others.
  3. Many thanks Wrecker.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There's about 12 or more commissioned P2000's without armament too:

5. Goes a long way to explaining why the frogs felt they could pin one against the harbour wall I guess......
  6. Which was last to carry a deck gun Wrecker? Im surprised that its as recent as 1974.
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

A boats had the four inch refitted for the Indonesian confrontation. O/P Boats had the Orelikan (sp) fitted mid 1960's if they were going to the Far East. Its a job to find clear pics of the Oberon with her deck gun but there are a couple on the Dorset Submariners website.

I thinks its Andrews gun that is on the jetty beside the Alliance. Gun action surfaces with the four inch were interesting, the plus side being that it pissed the Steward off because the Bunhouse got a bit damp
  8. Must have been bloody good gun layers in the service. I would say a boats deck not the most stable platform for gunnery.
  9. HMS Andrew was the last one, she came into Harwich in 1973 and all us Ganges boys got shown around.

Incidentally, one of the guns crew was jack dusty who I later served with on an S boat. We had a few wets together at the recent SM2 re-union, he's still got the phots of the last time they fired the gun before de-commissioning.

Barrow Submariners Association
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Andrew berthed alongside us on Hardy in 74.
    During the night the buggers had got on the bridge
    and unbolted the skippers chair, then slung it over
    the side. He did not see the funny side of it.
    We got it back with grappling hooks although a bit muddy.
  11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Have a look here Dorset Submariners Thumbs

If you count down 22 rows there are three or four pics of Auriga's last gun action surface. Including a pic of the steely eyed gun crew.
    • Like Like x 1