MSc Technology (Maritime Operations)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Blapto, Nov 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My background:
    I'm 20, in full time employment, and I have an interview with my ACLO in January, having already passed the Recruiting Test.

My current job is excellent, but it's not going to give me the opportunity for leadership that I want and my desk doesn't bob up and down. Also, there's no huge pressure on me to perform, which is something I know I enjoy having been in a high pressure job in the past.

The document "DNR0171_L3_WO" (available from the Royal Navy website here until they change everything again) says:

Everybody I've spoken to about this has been a little vague so I was hoping that someone, somewhere had been through this, or put someone through this. Any feedback would be great. I'd love to go the AIB, say I want to do this and when they ask me what it entails actually be able to answer them.

I'm expecting to be told that I should go to university first and get a degree in case my training fails due to injury but if I'm honest my IT career is going pretty well and I'm past the point where a degree will help me in this specific field. Of course, I'm not at that point in Maritime Operations, which is why I'd like to know more about the degree!

Thanks in advance

Martin

Edit:
    Ah-hah! Found this!
    It's confused me even more. :thumright:

2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I am entirely willing to be shot down here but I see that MSc and the new Aircrew Degree as little more than recruitment and retention tools. They won't add a great deal to your CV that will get you a great job in civvie street after your RN career.

I did an in service MSc that was little more than a sweetner that my appointer gave me because promotion is slow and I'd done a few difficult jobs back to back that they couldn't get people to fill. Its nice to have the MSc (which is your area of interest) but like you say in IS/IT people are more interested in experience and ability rather than academic prowess.

If you have a decent IS career and are happy why change? If you want a career change and are looking for something totally different then a career in the RN is great. Despite what is bandied around on this site and in the press I'd still advocate a career in the RN - as long as you head into knowing the issues.

What I would certainly not advocate under any circumstances is joining as an IS Officer.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good question!

It's all rather straightforward: If you complete all the accredited units required in addition to those taught on course, as verified by Plymouth University, you can gain those qualifications. Basically it's distance learning, not full-time attendance.

None of the qualifications are compulsory, nor awarded as a routine part of your Naval training. The reason advice is vague is that it's not a core essential of the job & is something an individual may wish to undertake in their "spare time". As with all academic qualifications it is constantly in a state of flux & most likely subject to change by the time you embark on it. Costs can be covered by the Enhanced Learning Credits offered by the Royal Navy.

As with all additional training courses, you can only attend if you can be spared by your appointer & you should not join up in the expectation that this will automatically be granted.

Good Luck

4. Ninja_Stoker, looks like I'm just going to have to wing this one with whoever deals with whatever's going on, whenever I get in.

Wave Dodger, the reason I want this degree is because it would open up more doors for me in the future. It would be nice to have to work in IT, not that I don't want to, but I'm sure there'll be some Maritime Operations jobs going in Dubai 12 years down the line. Another string to my bow and all that.
    I'm happy in my IT career, but I think I'd be even happier in the RN is the answer to your question. I can't join as an IS Officer as they want an accredited degree, and even if they accepted my professional qualifications and experience I don't think it's a job I'd want anyway. "Sometimes I just turn it off and on again" is too similar to civvy street for my liking, not to mention the fact that the ships and submarines are running Microsoft Windows for Warships and I'm a UNIX man myself. (http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39171272,00.htm)

5. wave_dodger

Ignore that recruiting claptrap - because we all just turn servers off and on when they have snags especially the Unix one's because they handle that sooo well.

There is just so much more to doing IS as an Officer - sadly after Lt you don't get to be very hands on though, its gets into planning, architecture, projects and programme management, procurement - the bigger picture.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To the best of my knowledge-you're spot on!

7. That's the interesting bit though, you get to mess with how people think rather than just f**k them up on a routine basis.

:D

8. Turn things off and on again? I am a professional you know! :afro: We call it "power cycling" (so we don't have to say "turn it off and on again").

The only thing I turn off and on again is a cisco box I haven't done a copy running-config flash on. Then I swear profusely.

I'm in a hands on role at the moment, and I've been in a bigger picture role in the past, and if I'm brutally honest, that's not what I'd want from a Naval career, I'm in it for the leadership experience, and I'd get the most of that from Warfare (yes, yes, lazy bar stewards, etc.)

So the conclusion is I can get a degree, but it's practically worthless, awkward to get and a pain in the backside? I want to drive ships (or submarines) and as such I'm going to join the Navy. I'd quite like a degree while I'm in, but it looks like I'm going to have to think about that after AIB. Navy first, bits of important looking paper second, other than my commission of course.

9. wave_dodger

Notice my uncommon restraint! Pot, Kettle, radio check over.

10. Oh I didn't claim that I haven't in the past, merely highlighted that messing about at the organisational level is far more interesting than mere technology.

Kit is dull, what people do with the kit and influencing that is equal parts interesting and frustrating.