Mrs Mortimer - the un-PC travel guides of a Victorian lady

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, Jul 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Her observations were based on what she saw at the time, and therefore aren't relevant today. Yes, in Victorian days England was a leading power in the civilised world, but many of the countries she criticised have since developed into major players in today's society.

Perhaps her points of view say more about Slim's 'Victorian' attitude?

I'm waiting for the day when Slim posts something that hasn't been sanctioned by the Daily Wail first... :roll:

2. The Victorian era was a very interesting period in British history.
    They had their own social security system based and run by the towns and villages. If you were no of the town or village and fell on hard times you were given a pass to get you to your home village. it was then their responsibility to look after you. If you belonged to the village you were taken care of, at least your basic needs were. You were given a roof over your head (the poor house) fed (gruel) and given work to do according to your abilities. Life was sustainable but not pleasant. Little wonder people worked hard to ensure that they did not end up in the poor house.
    I reckon today's society would do well to take on some of the Victorian values.

3. Her observations were not based on what she saw at all, her only trips 'abroad' were to my home city and the lands of the frog and poirot.

Her comments seem to be based on the general John Bull attitudes of the day seasoned with her own peculiar religious predjudices.

As for victorian values, it really is a matter of what aspects of victorian life you value, intollerance, lack of forgiveness, employement conditions for most similar to slavery, insanitary living conditions, lack of investment bot public and industrial, (the UK was already on it's downward path as an industrial power by the time old vicky popped her clogs) Family values, (but see earlier comments on intolerance and lack of forgiveness) opportunity to generate large wealth for those who managed to get an education, and so on. There is much to be proud of in the victorian era, but equally there is a lot to be ashamed of.

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Maxi: I agree entirely, and you post my feeling on the subject more eloquently than I did.

5. Thanks for the compliment.

6. Re: Mrs Mortimer - the un-PC travel guides of a Victorian la

I think it is very easy to pour scorn on Victorian values but at that time they were deemed to be correct. We all look back on earlier generations and say that things could have been done better, but that is called progress. In a hundred years time people will no doubt pour scorn on the way we do things.

7. Re: Mrs Mortimer - the un-PC travel guides of a Victorian la

Indeed. Very much of their time, and we can look back now and identify a delta between then and now.

Indeed, as some pour scorn now on the way we do things. I don't see what's been posted above as pouring scorn on the Victorian era. Some can view history, and our present era, in a reasonably dispassionate manner, others don't.

8. Re: Mrs Mortimer - the un-PC travel guides of a Victorian la

Read some Dickens.... :thumright: (Oliver Twist wasn't just a movie eh!)

9. Ah yes, the insomniacs friend!

10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This lady also wrote 'Reading without Tears' which must have brought the written word to thousands of infants, and 'Peep of Day', a series of little books for children.

As to her remarks on the ghastly people who live in all those horrid countries east of Dover, could someone explain which of her comments are mistaken?

If you want to sample genuine travel writing by a Victorian lady, try 'the Golden Chersonese' about Malaya by Isabella Bird ca.1870.