Mr Bean

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Jack_McHammocklashing, May 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone else on here missed their ship, due to their own fault?

Well did you remember that you had to "pay" your own flight to catch said ship up, then take the time lost as annual leave, and do your punishment usually 9's

What will Mr Bean do, cry and sell the story, to cover the air fare

Or face it like a man

My guess is the Mob will do nothing, and provide another free flight, or maybe a private jet if the Glasgow office pull their fingers out

Does any terrorist want a military passport, lost his I.Pod now his bloody passport

Every ship, every village has it's idiot, we know who Cornwalls is

Our ships idiot hung onto the sack of spuds as he threw it down B hatch on store ship, helo off with broken legs and knees, returned to ship six months later in Guzz and it was families day, Where he proudly showed Mum and Dad what happend, and threw himself down the hatch again :)
  2. Mr Bean, done to death.
  3. I agree Hig. Leave him alone!
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good man. He didn't eventually become an MEO did he? Short guy, buck teeth, japanese-sniper glasses & a face distorted like someone staring into the sun?
  5. All correct except for the MEO he bacame a Golly, RO1 ew :lol:
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Bugger, he must have a double.

7. Agree "hig" all getting a little boring now, how's the french bird by the way , haven't heard lately , :wink:
  8. I despair, I really do. I know we’ve abolished NAMET which enables us to recruit from the educationally challenged sectors of this wonderful country … but FFS!! First the bloody iPod, then the whinging to the press, then the idiotic (and tasteless) photographs in the nightclub and now his bloody passport.

I’m with Jack M on this one. He should be rollocked severely, billed for the bloody passport and his flight, marked absent for every day he is not on board and lose a day’s pay for each one. After all, I’m certain that he can now afford it all. This has to be a disciplinary situation now – leave breaking, losing government property (they paid for it), bringing the RN into disrepute, etc, etc.

I’d also consider never allowing him out alone again … just in case he causes further embarrassment to the RN. Perhaps we should consider re-naming him from Mr Bean to DISTEX!!

9. Ninja_Stoker

Calm down dear! It's only a conversation.

NAMET's got nowt to do with recruiting, never had. The Recruiting Test (a completely different beastie) is the same today as it was in 1943, the percentage of people passing & failing remain unchanged.

Everyone despairs of the "younger generation", they did when you or I joined & it''s been proven the drips about the quality of recruits are no different today than they were during National Service in the 1950's.
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Can I just mention that there are 13 other Cornwalls that have behaved as most of us would expect them to, well done them!
  11. Sorry mate but NAMATdoes have a lot to do with it. When I joined back in 72 you could not get out of Raleigh if you didn't get a minumun of 5/5 - you stayed there until you passed it. Only way round it was if you had GCE/CSE's
    A few years ago they dropped the standards so that now you can have a 9/9 pass in NAMAT - in '72 that would have been clased as brain dead!
    The baby Mr Bean would not have got out of Raleigh let alone bean (Sorry no pun intended) let loose on a RIB - and what the hell was he doing with an IPOD?
  12. Would that make him a,

Wait for it..................

I'll get me coat then, oh and me hat? Sorry Chief
  13. Ninja_Stoker - How dare you be calm and reasonable when I'm having a rant!!! Now where are me bloody pills? :lol: :lol:

14. Ninja,
    The recruiting TEST may well be the same as in 1943, but the recruiting test SCORE has certainly been reduced over the years. To my certain knowledge it was reduced twice in the late 60's/early 70's when I was instructing at Raleigh. The first time was when recruiting "fell off" in late '67. Following mutterings from instructional staff, Flag Officer (recruiting) addressed a "clear lower deck" of instructors in the cinema, and the "question and answer" session afterwards engendered some lively discussion during which a PO asked why we were now accepting recruits who "had just dropped out of the trees", to which the Admiral replied, "When you go outside PO you'll meet the people who couldn't climb the trees in the first place."
    The second was related specifically to shortages in the seaman branch, by the re-introduction of a basic seaman rate, and those instructors, of whom I was one, who were to guide these recruits through training, were briefed as to their potential. As far as I can recall, the dit went something like -
    " They will require extra time to absorb the basic syllabus, and are never expected to attain more than being a reasonably competent Able Seaman".
    As a result of this lowering of standards, the parade training syllabus was reduced, leaving out all the "fancy bits" (funeral drill, sentry duties, etc.), responsibility for which was passed to ship's/establishment's GIs on an ad hoc basis.
    The first class, of course, just happened to be allocated to my Division, and the Domestic Instructor, (a dedicated and experienced seaman PO), and myself, put in hours of voluntary dogwatch instruction, just because we wanted to prove the "powers that be" wrong, but the class still required an extra week of intensive drill to even attempt the parade exam, and the Chief GI, with steam coming out of his ears, was even then, unwilling to pass them. I don't know how they fared in their other exams, (I had four other classes who needed my attention), but they were hard work, though strangely rewarding, in that when they DID do something well, it felt like a real bonus.
    I went to Raleigh as a guest, last year, and was made welcome by the current parade staff. I watched Friday Divisions, (unfortunately "wet weather routine"), and was amazed at the antics of the guard, individual ranks continually changing arms when not actually being inspected, and generally moving about, chatting to their PO, who seemed to be free to wander about at will. I realize that the SA80 requires more movement than either the SLR or the Lee Enfield since you cannot rest it on the ground, but surely a few minutes standing still whilst the guard is being inspected is not too much to ask?
    Off topic, but as a contrast, I attended my Grandson's passing out parade at Sandhurst last August. The intermediate term (saluting those passing out) held the "present" for over six and a half minutes whilst the seniors slow marched off the parade, Prince William included.
    I am loath to say it, since I love "our" Royal Navy and all it stands for, but I think that the "touchy-feely" bit has probably gone a mite too far.

15. 2BM

The rule with SA80s is that it cannot be held in one arm for more than 7 minutes. After 7 minutes with it at the shoulder in one arm, the parade/guard commander must give the order to change arms. Order arms is not done with an SA80 and as you say it cannot be rested on the ground.

Sometimes however the parade commander forgets about the change arms - this resulted in the Glasgow Remembrance Sunday guard last November having their rifles at the shoulder in one arm for 21 minutes (he forgot the change arms twice). I believe some of the girls were close to tears with the pain - probably the guys too - it gets very heavy after even 7 mins.

Please also remember that standing indoors in a hot drill shed in full blues is a tad warm ;)

I do sympathise, however, with your sentiments about "pink and fluffy".
  16. Dunkers - Hi!
    Thanks for the info on timing for SA80's - bit late for me I'm afraid!!!!
    It was November. The drillshed was not warm. My Wife and I had been caught in a sharp downpour of "West Country sunshine" whilst in the metropolis of Torpoint and were soaked. The sun came out as soon as the decision had been made to call "wet weather divisions". The guard were dry, and were BUSSED from the East to West drillsheds!!!!!
    Does that come under the heading of "pink and fluffy"?
    Incidentally, when I had to take men-under-pun for an hour's drill, we used to do "change arms" by numbers, with the SLR, with unlimited time between movements, and frequent orders of "as you were". Does that sort of drill now constitute unnatural practices, or worse?

17. Ninja_Stoker

1. It was NAMET- Navy, Army Maths And English Test. (Ooh, an acronym, how unusual.)
    2. You needed 5/5 to be rated Leading Hand at a later date. If you did not attain that at Raleigh, you still passed out, but could not be promoted until you re-sat the test. there were many OD's with a 9/9 NAMET in the fleet-they stayed that way.
    3. The recruits now undergo a basic skills test to ensure they reach a minimum standard. (Maybe we don't trust GCSEs!)
    4. NAMET never was a condition of entry, that's what the recruiting test was for.
    5. I rest my grip.
  18. Ninja_Stoker

2BM you are quite correct, Recruiting Test scores have come down, but they've also gone up! They are always in a state of flux, due to the changing syllabus of Phase Two training- the idea being that we raise or lower the bar to ensure the candidate has the intellectual ability to pass the training. Some, though granted, not all, is harder than when you or I joined-Honest!

As for 'touchy feely',nay tree-hugging, approach I agree fully! Even Phase One trainees claim they are disappointed that it is not stricter.
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Sorry SF, are we better now Dear? :lol: :D :lol:
  20. Thanks for that, Ninja. You seem to have your finger on the pulse of modern recruiting, whereas my input is all based on experience of what seems to be several lifetimes ago!!
    Incidentally, NAMET was called ET1 when I sat it in 1952.