MPs' Not Real Medals (Merged Outrage Bus Trips)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by hnhnwilliam, Feb 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have not visited Rum Ration for a while, but I have been scouring the site to see if you have heard of Members of Parliament receiving campaign medals for their day visits to Iraq and Afghanistan. See the petition I received yesterday in an e-mail.
    http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/notompmedals

2. Re: Iraq/Afghanistan campaign medals for visiting MPs

Well first of all you're talking out of your arse, it isn't a 'campaign medal' at all, it is an unofficial medal to show than an MP has been involved for 10 years or more in the Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme. The scheme requires those in it to spend 22 days a year with the armed forces getting to be more familiar with their work and their needs. If you look at the background of those involved when it comes to supporting the forces in the House then you will see signs that the scheme serves its purpose well.

If these people want to get what is effectively a commemorative badge then let them, any number of dribbling footballers, actors and television presenters have big medals given by the Queen as honours every year, why don't you drive your outrage bus in that direction before criticising the few in parliament who actually back our forces and have done since before it was the latest fashion to do so!

3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Re: Iraq/Afghanistan campaign medals for visiting MPs

From the linky in the first post
    The supporting outrage statement above is toppers with errors, misconceptions, ommisions and ignorance. Members of the AFPS could do with a lesson in how to wear military uniform rather than a chocolate medal. Well intentioned perhaps but unless I'm (and lonestar ) are mistaken, bollocks.

Gash Barge for comment and or ridicule.

4. Don't let these people get a medal!!

Subject: MPs medals "So wrong"

Can you all take time to read this and add your names please. I didn't know this but MPs get a medal for visiting a war zone. They don't have to do time in country like our service personnel and they don't have to wait months afterwards to get presented with the thing. Medals are all the recognition we as soldiers get for spending long months in staggeringly deprived locations getting shot at and blown up. The most action and flak an MP sees is over their expenses. As we saw with the Wootton Basset petition thousands of signatures in a short space of time did make the government act. They cannot ignore the voters. Especially now with elections looming. Please take the time to sign this petition and please encourage all your family to also do so. Where it asks for your name also add on the same line former military if you were. You will see what others have done. I think this adds just a little more bite to the petition. Once again get everyone with an email address to sign, including neighbours. Lets do our service personal this small service for all the danger they face and hard work they complete in the name of our country.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/notompmedals
    Don't let them get a gong!!

5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Re: Don't let these people get a medal!!

This has got to be a piss take, who in their right mind ever believed that medals are the reserve of the Armed Forces and only awarded for valour or bravery, entertainers get medals for being famous, sportspeople get medals for doing sport, Kings and queens get medals for being Kings and Queens, service people even get medals for turning up regularly and not getting caught being naughty. I don't see an issue with MP's getting a medal because they put some time into something that is actually worthwhile, it's not as if they are being awarded a VC is it. The petition is just another small minded and petty reaction to a Daily Mail outrage article.

6. Re: Don't let these people get a medal!!

Not like they have to go to visit the troops either is it? If they are awarded a choccy civpop gong for taking the time to fly out and see what it's all about, fair play.

7. Re: Don't let these people get a medal!!

Polycell, I received an e-mail on this subject yesterday and fortunately I visited Rum Ration for verification before I entered into the petition, It is untrue that MPs receive these medals.Read the reply from Samson to your post.I have posted this untruth to the sender and his addressees from where I received this petition.Now how the 14000 that have already signed be told the facts.

8. Re: Don't let these people get a medal!!

Please see:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...icised-for-accepting-Mickey-Mouse-medals.html

And it aint the Daily wail

9. Re: Don't let these people get a medal!!

It's not the OSM or GSM though is it? I don't see an issue. And why do we need a purple heart type medal? Surely a campaign medal is enough?

10. Re: Don't let these people get a medal!!

Thanks Slim, I was recovering from an op on 17 Jan 2009 and missed this one in the DT.

11. Re: Don't let these people get a medal!!

It's a medal of no importance, however MPs are taking the piss out of the electorate enough without them Walting it up :twisted:

12. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

It's just a little souvenir thing to jolly their egos along. Not a pukka gong at all. The petition signatories obviously don't understand this. It's pretty pathetic that it takes this sort of bling to get our MPs to take an interest, but perhaps more of them know a bit more about the Forces than would otherwise be the case.

13. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I think this is exactly the point, to you and I it is of no importance at all, to them it is something that they can be genuinely proud of and it illustrates that they spent a considerable time being subjected to the lobbying influence of the MoD, which lets face it probably doesn't involve talking with the most charismatic of folk. It's a bit like the award my company gave me last year (only that's probably worth significantly more than all my medals let alone one of the defence committee gongs)

14. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Its a commerative bling given to those who spend 10 years on the scheme - absolute rubbish being spouted on this all over the place. MPs do not, and never have got the OSM for visiting Op theatres - those who have it were there for real with the reserves.

I suggest people calm down and stop getting worked up about nothing!

15. Re: Don't let these people get a medal!!

And in the same way not every Muslim is a West hating, Sharia law wanting Jihadist. Not all MPs are lying, cheating, self serving, corrupt toads. Some of them are very good and have genuine interest and concern for the Armed Forces.

16. Re: Don't let these people get a medal!!

Are they getting it for being non sea going?

17. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Re: MPs' 'Medals' (Merged Outrage Bus Trips)

Threads merged and first one restored to Current Affairs in the interests of recalling the outrage bus. Someone needs to take charge of the keys and the VUR. The bus is wheeled out erroneously (dictionary for dinner) too often.

Still no update from the those who went on the HSBC trip.

18. Re: Don't let these people get a medal!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D 10/10

Did you know that Starbucks won't serve members of the armed forces (or something like that)?

It's true.

Smudge told me.

19. Re: Don't let these people get a medal!!

I heard those who wear the H4H wristband won't get served in Tesco's if they also wear PJ's