MP's Complain over New War Game

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by trelawney126, Nov 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. £60 is a bit much to claim on expenses for a game...

2. Fcuk sake.

There's a rant about a game that's fantasy, yet ARMA2 markets itself (or marketed, I'm not sure if they still do) as a "combat simulator". Was there any row? No.

The ARMA2 standalone expansion pack- Operation Arrowhead- is going to be loosely based on the war in Afghanistan.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon rising markets itself as "a tactical shooter designed to realistically represent modern infantry combat."

Why the big row over a video game? It's rated 18, and anyone over 18 should have enough sense not to go around shooting Russians whilst pretending that they're Andy McNab.

It's only £35 from GAME.

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Glad to see irony is not lost on you... :wink: :lol:

4. The MP's should get along to Sainsburys or ASDA to purchase for £26 or £32 respectively and spend the rest on beer and pizza, file claim next day - job done.

5. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

If the 18 to 35 year olds who play these games want excitement why don't they join the Army and do it for real? Save them a lot of money and they'd be much more useful. The games may be rated 18 but they get into the hands of children who are then de-sensitised to violence. They then think that it's the norm. 'Don't want to go out and play, I've got to kill a few people for fun'. The whole 'game' business is a bit sick to me.
    Rant over.

6. Well this game is awesome its not real hence the reason its called a game. I have been lucky enough to have got hold of it a couple of days ago and it really is good. And with regards to kids have you seen the level of violence portrayed on TV every day. Things change wether they should or not remains to be seen ...

7. Playing online i see 8 year olds talking about how he is gonna axe someones head in, thats a 3+ game. So whats the difference?

8. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Looking at your 'avatar'.... nuff said!

9. That's an aspect of "harmless" games that bothers me, too. I often wonder if some of the hoods taunting the Police and racing round in stolen cars are extending their video skill. Got cracking scores on the game and can't wait to try the real thing. The other aspect is that having numerous "lives" could distort some people's concept of reality.

10. Looking at my avatar.... nuff said.

11. It's a game. It's fake, fiction, not real. I think anyone with an ounce of sense knows that.

I've come to realise that it's always older people that have a problem with video games. Did you ever play soldiers when you were little? I remember running around my garden when I was 5 or 6 (teen) with my friends, pretending to shoot each other with sticks. Is it really any different?

http://www.kidsarmyshop.co.uk/home.html < Surprised nobody's outraged about this!

A shop selling fake (see my first sentence) weapons for children as opposed to a company selling a game for adults.

EDIT: Looking at that site: http://www.kidsarmyshop.co.uk/products/army-toy-guns/camo-ak47.html

"Realistic sound" and "1:1 scale model". A full size replica of an AK-47 that sounds real. I'm sure that'd mess with more heads than a video game.

13. Tim, you’re right; it does assume common sense. Common sense and grasp of reality isn’t as common as you might assume, though. The danger is always that we legislate against the “sensible†for the sake of idiots who may only make up, say, 1% of the population.

Having played cowboys and Indians as a lad (with a fairly convincing toy Colt 44) and modern computer games since, I must say that the computer games are more absorbing and all enveloping. I went for quite a few years without flying and played Combat Flight Sim during that time. It was addictive and I found it had significantly buggered up my real flying skills when I went back to it. I wouldn’t underestimate the degree to which realistic simulations implant themselves in a person’s mind. Example; how can engaging pretend fighters in the air raise your heart rate, make you sweat and leave you elated and shaking when you get your “television†Spitfire parked back on the grass?