MP salary increase?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MaiBelle, May 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What do folk reckon to the below:

MPs in line for dramatic pay rise

Giving MP’s a 10-20k salary increase in return to tightening regulations on their pensions and expenses?

According to the article, the lower figure of £10,000 is more likely and given the excessive spending of some MP's, if expenses were reined in dramatically it could work out better for the tax payer if they were given this set increase…though it would depend on exactly how pensions/expenses would be limited.

Personally, for the current salary of £65,738 I think you'd be pretty bonkers to want to take on the job - and even with the increase it's still not very appealing!

2. Kill them.

• Like Like x 2
  3. AAF

AAF Badgeman

As they do very little I think they are overpaid, most politicians local as well as national are only interested in power anyway. Introduce a bill from time to time to keep your seat and please the local electorate, wave your paper when on TV..... and tread the streets for a couple of weeks come election time. I would do that for half the money having taken into account the high price of rental property in the smoke.

• Like Like x 1
  4. You have to take into account the add ons. subsidised bars, caffs and restaurants, have they a health scheme, bullet proof pension, parachute payments, and expenses, and if their pensions and expenses are reduced I'll show my bum on the townhall steps

5. If those muttonheads were on performance related pay they would all be in the red.

6. Nice they take there rises whilst the workers get kicked in the teeth (again)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Personally I also think you have got to be pretty bonkers to take the job on but that has nothing to do with the salary and, as far as I am concerned, the majority of MPs are grossly overpaid for what they do. A pretty much guaranteed 4 or 5 year contract with a tasty pay off if you lose your seat, shed loads of benefits in kind and, at the end of the day, provided you haven't been a total tw4t you can look forward to a lucrative commercial gravy train calling at your station in the form of directorships, advisor and consultancy roles etc etc etc - and that is without even getting a ministerial appointment - pah!!!!

8. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

What's the betting that MPs will take their super-inflation-busting pay rise with an agreement to "look at and consider" their expenses, at which point the expenses will be raised in line with inflation plus London weighting leaving the poor MPs with an increased pay and increased expenses.

Cynic, Moi?

9. A bonkers job or not there seems to be no shortage of willing candidates for each job come election time.I note the MPs haven't gone down the "because we're worth it" in attempt to justify any pay increase and it strikes me as rather odd to say "pay us more money then we won't claim so much in expenses".Either way the public will quite likely say "we thought we were all in it together but not any more".

10. Perhaps they should have performance related pay. Take note of all the promises that the lying Scumbags make an then pay them their due on the delivery of said worthless promise

Hey-Presto! Government on the cheap!

11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I have been a critic of our parliamentary members for a long time. For all the Chris Huhne's and Denis MacShane's et al., the large number of our MPs who do not appear in the media in order to feed their fevered egos actually do a good job for their constituents. I have not yet seen anything that states that the proposed pay rise has been approved, I imagine it is likely to go ahead. But if the usual suspects - here or otherwise - feel that our current incumbents are not worthy of the salary or status of a public representative, perhaps they could put themselves up for election and do the job better themselves..?

12. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I agree that 65k for a job in London is not a huge amount, but; how much time do they actually spend in London? If their allowances and perks were totalled how much would it add to that salary? How much do they get paid for TV interviews etc off the back of their careers (think I'm a Celebrity, her name escapes me at the moment), but how often is she on the box now compared to before that, when she should have been doing her day job? In times of austerity our leaders should lead by example IMO.

13. I think the main bugbear the electorate has with MPs is the preaching of one message and looking to do the opposite themselves.The worthiness of their case is not so much the issue.Any scepticism the general public may have about MPs and the motives/motivation to be MPs they have brought about themselves in the recent past.While many may think they would be more honest and straight in their dealings may be tempted to stand themselves but unless you join a recognised political party and brown nose your way through the system you're unlikely to be selected.If however you should manage the climb up the greasy pole I would suggest you will have been tainted by the same affliction that any of the current crop of MPs seem to have.

• Like Like x 2