moving afco

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dee_muppet, Nov 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys and girls

i am scared that this question may have already been answered and have searched it but not found what i was looking for. So please be gentle with the abuse! lol

There is a possiblity that i may be moving house, which would mean that i would have to transfer my application to a different AFCO, however i am just waiting for my medical to be given to the aviation board and then be given my start date. Does anyone know whether by moving this will affect or slow down my application?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

2. I can't see it making any difference to be honest. The AFCOs put your details into a centralised national database, so another AFCO should be able to access your details easily. There may be some hard copies of things which need to be forwarded, but they can be posted.

What are you applying for?

3. Sol's answer seems quite on the ball I'd guess. As to switching AFCO, Let your current lot know the date you move on, and the nearest AFCO to your new address. They will then send your paper file to the new AFCO and once you move, give it a week or two and call in to the new place to check they have you and to find out who your new CA is. Best of luck in the new place if you do move buddy

4. Thanks thats really good to know, and i am joining as an aircraft controller. I just didn't want to add yet more time to the already painfully long wait!

Thanks agaiin! :)

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

When I first saw this thread, I thought you'd sussed out an AFCO was physically moving (we do that from time to time just to see if any candidates notice). But, scanning the thread whilst reading silently, (but lips moving, admittedly), one has to admit there's nothing to add that hasn't already been correctly stated.

Don't you hate it when you read a new post, but are none the wiser at the end of it?

6. On the subject of moving AFCOs there was talk Pre-SDSR of Regional AFCO Centres. i.e South West AFCO, North West AFCO etc. Selling off the current AFCOs in city and towns would generate income for the MOD.

Has this idea now been axed as I haven't heard anymore about it. Personally I think this is a very bad idea because the AFCOs keep the forces in the public eye and also attract a lot of passing trade of people interested in joining up.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The idea hasn't gone away unfortunately. Each AFCO is "sponsored" by a nominated service & they fund the lease, upkeep, fixtures & fittings. There is a danger of re-inventing the wheel in the name of supposed economy as inevitably there will still be significant costs involved.

Years ago there used to be separate careers offices, funded by individual services in the same area. The further out from the town centre they were, the correspondingly less recruits they processed & the greater the cost in advertising to entice recruits.

Whilst recruiting is buoyant, due to a depressed economy, the services are looking at reducing individual costs & as leases come up for renewal, the AFCO sponsors naturally look for "cheaper" premises. When recruiting becomes more competitive with the private sector, doubtless someone will come up with another "no-brainer".

A good example of this 'saving' mentality is that one of the first AFCOs which is one of the the busiest Army AFCOs, the busiest RAF AFCO & in the top 3 of RN AFCOs will be moving into 3 premises next year. The Army & RAF into an old TA Centre, 6 or 7 miles out from the town centre, the RN to an RNR unit a mile out from town, but all three services maintaining a smaller "walk-in/shop-front" AFCO in a city centre backstreet. Each service now has to man two offices & individually fund out of town offices. The all-up cost will come off a different line number, so the bean counters think it's cheaper.

What could possibly go wrong?

8. I've seen that building, too, Stix; I was staying in a hotel in Times Square and it was right nearby.

I'm not quite sure what it is, though; is it like our AFCOs, staffed with CAs etc? It looks very small, if it is.

That particular US "AFCO" is no bargain, I suspect; Times Square must be pretty expensive real estate.

9. If this is the shape of things to come then I can't really see this working. I'd heard one option was leasing cheap industrial units on business parks out of town but thought that was just a wind-up.

I just wonder what percentage of potential recruits will go that extra mile (or 7!) to get there. No doubt the keen ones will but the forces do attract a lot of enquiries by interested people just popping in with the 'excuse me I was just wondering.....question'

I'm sorry to hear this idea hasn't gone away. I remember the old RN / RM recruiting office in Guildford with a model of HMS Leander in the window and exotic pictures of sailors in their whites drinking cocktails in exotic locations. No RAF or Army to be seen. Now that was worth popping in.......

Happy days 8)

10. There was an idea around at some point that recruiting could be put out for tender to agencies like Reed.

11. The Army are actively exploring this option its called RPP, Recruiting Partnering Project. I think they have 2 bids for contract that they are actively are looking at taking to main gate. As far as i'm aware (FOSNNI last week confirmed this), is that the RAF & RN are not going onboard with the Army. From where I sit, the Army are going out todo their own thing, the RAF are looking at cheaper/smaller office space and the RN is looking at 'high street' style walk in centres (probably about 4), and then a central processing cell probably in an old TA centre or RNR unit.