move out after marriage breakdown.

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by yummymummy, Oct 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi and help!!
    Just been shown this site by an arrser and need some help.

When a partner who is in the navy leaves you should there be a pre-move out before I became an irregular occupant? The married quarter was never officially signed over to me but I am being charged for the 6 years we lived there!!

Thanks

2. If you've not signed for it your not legally responsible. But you still have rights I would make an appointment to see the Welfare Officer asap.

Good luck

3. I don't get that - are you saying you have been there for six years and haven't paid any rent?
    If you have, what are the six years charges for?

4. Yes, that baffled me too. What are you being asked to pay in charges?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

6. Hi there guys and thanks ever so much for the input!!!
    To Clarify:
    I lived in a married quarter with my husband for 6 years and the rent etc came out of his wages at source. When he left me and changed his marrital status I took over paying the rent as "damages for tresspass" until I moved out. When i moved out I was told i could not officially do so as I was not the name on the licence but it went aheas anyway. Since moving out the navy are trying to charge me for damages that occured to the propperty over the 6 years (ie I didn't clean it to their rediculously high standard).

Thanks for your help.

7. What are you doing tomorrow night? :) :)

8. So time has nothing to do with it, you are being charged for cleaning the premises ready for the next tenant.
    So what is the bill they have handed you?

9. Scrubbing out?

10. I'm not sure you're liable, YM.

Do you have a copy of your tenancy agreement and a breakdown in hard copy of the charges being levied?

What kind of damage has occurred?

Do you have a Solicitor?

11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I was gonna ask what you're up to but sounds like you have hygiene issues. Have you met chico yet?

12. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The first port of call I would suggest is the local Hive/NPFS representative. I doubt if you are the first person to whom this has happened and there must be a well trodden path.

PS Prepare yourself for the inevitable requests for a picture.......

13. I was sent a bill for removal of rubbish out of garden=bag of horse manure. Shit!

14. oi, ;)

15. Yes, I totally agree. The question is, who was the tenant?

(Liability might lie with the husband, not YM).

16. Strict 'No Sh!t' policy

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Having lived in a couple or three SFA (quarters), allowance is made for fair wear and tear as you'd expect. Much the same as the next resident would not expect the place to need cleaning upon arrival, it's presumably not unreasonable for the landlord to expect you leave it as you would hope to find it.

There is an arbitration process, outlined in the answer to question 4 in the FAQ link posted earlier.

Rather than line the capacious pockets of the legal profession, it's usually best to apply common sense and ask yourself whether you'd be happy taking up residence with the property in the same state you leave it. Liability usually rests with the occupant whether regular or irregular.

18. Mea culpa, StixJim. I really didn't express myself well at all in the post in which I said "I'm not sure you're liable, YM". Apologies.

I'm looking at this from a legal perspective and so was asking myself whether YM as an individual was liable for costs incurred over the entire period during which this property was occupied, given that she may not have been the tenant as named on the tenancy agreement. She may not have been a signatory to that agreement. Is she, therefore, liable for costs incurred during it? Does liability lie with the person who is named as the tenant and who signed the agreement, ie her husband?

Having said this, it seems to me that, despite what the letter of the law says, looking at this from a Family Law perspective, an equitable resolution would be for both parties to make a contribution to these costs, which would fall within the remit of the Family Law solicitors representing each of them.

Edited to add: Sorry, Ninja, didn't see your last before I typed this.

Edited to add: I rest my case.