Moustaches in the Andrew

Discussion in 'History' started by fatfreddie, Nov 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me when King's or Queen's regulation forbade the wearing of a moustache in the RN? I was watching an episode of Foyles War the other day were an officer was sporting a moustache which seemed odd; if it had been an American movie I could have accepted this as simple ineptitude but this is British made.

2. I seem to remember something in QR's with regards to Stewards or Chefs being allowed in certain circumstances, I'm sure somebody will confim or deny?
    (We were looking for the old pony tail dit, before the village people jokes come out)

3. I think you'll find that it's only women that are allowed a moustache, but don't quote me on that, I was wrong once.

4. 'Taches were fairly popular up until Queen Victoria saw the full sets worn by the Russian Navy.

Been odd occasions when the we were allowed to grow them in the Andrew were allowed, but these were exceptional usually on long stints at sea like the Beira Patrol !!
    Managed a fairly decent one, but could never get the full set to bloom for some reason :(

Tried to grow one after I left, but the ex didn't like me looking like a Mexican Bandit !

5. From the RN website (link):

This has applied since 1870 by the look of it. See here.

6. I remember one particular sneaky on the Courageous we had a moustache growing competition.
    During the judging you had to say a bit about yourself and who your hero was and why.
    Everything had to be translated for the septic exchange officer.
    I didn't join in 'cos I were but a lad, but if memory serves it was won by the Jimmy who had not only managed an excellant Mexican but had made a sombrero out of masking tape and had a pussers counterpane for a poncho.

7. During training Divisions at RALEIGH in early 80's.

A New and exceptionally keen POGI was inspecting the WRNS division. His voice boomed across the parade ground.

"Are you attatched to a Royal Marine unit young lady"

"No PO, I am in basic training"

"In that case, get rid of that moustache".

That particular GI was never seen again at RALEIGH while I was still there.

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

When I was on HMS Bristol we had the only rating permitted by Fleet to grow a moustache; Wtr Sam S*** (was FAA Field Gun Grew in '87) was attacked by two squaddies in Gibraltar, resulting in them biting a portion out of his top lip! As it left an unsightly scar, he was allowed to grow the dead caterpillar until he was able to receive cosmetic surgery to repair the damage...

9. sgtpepperband

A certain 'Rocky' Hudson, I believe... :wink:

10. I served with Sam on more than one occasion. Didn't know about that though. If he's had cosmetic surgery he deserves his money back. !!

11. our intrepid RPO Rocky Hudson - Hermes 82

[​IMG]

12. sgtpepperband

I think the Field Gun runs did more damage to his good looks than those two RGJs... 8O :D

To be fair, the 'tache his it quite well, and the damaged lip healed quite nicely. I did not meet him again after this time, but I assume he had to "shave off" in due course...

13. sgtpepperband

14. Who writes this bollox?

15. Remember when I was a kid in Guzz in the 50s, there were a lot of matelots with waxed moustaches with their full set: after I joined up, only ever met one, who only waxed his tache for runs ashore. Do they still exist ?

16. Not like me to agree with the Hate Mail, but there is a huge element of truth there. As I frequently remind my bootneck drinking oppo, 'tache's these days are indicative of men who are light on their feet, not to mention good with colours.

Pastel colours that is, not the rank.

Oh, and yes, I do frequently get a slap for my comments, but it's worth it.

17. Whale oil beef hooked!
    I never knew that Writers ran withe the FAA Field Gun Crew?

???
    Roofs

18. Dusties too !! A Fleet Chief I knew (Frank T) lost a ball during one of the runs. Whether he was in the final team or not, I can't recall.

:)

19. 'Cor - He must be a leprechuan judging by that 7.62mm ammo !!!!!!

20. I was always told one member of the ships company could have a Van Dyke. There was a chippy on the Bulwark in '75 who had one with waxed 'tache. There's a phot of him in the commissioning book.