Mountain climbing in the Royal Marines.

Actually, starting at the bottom, not as an officer.
Young padwell, I could crack a joke about being a steward/mortar troop etc but I wont.

Do not look down upon the lower ranks, they are the reason every other rank exists. Have fun at Uni, shag and drink like a film star whilst you're there but do you honestly have time to get a decent degree, work part time to help fund your degree and commit to the TA?

You obviously have no desire to be a member of the TA long term, your intentions are however honorable but why take up a much needed slot for someone who'll be an asset to the TA once they have finished training? You'll just use that training slot for your own ends before you join the Regs. Join a gym and march up and down in your own time. Better still join the Rugby club.

Now, if you really want the old and bold to give you some advice young thruster, start posting some piccies of them student chicks.

markg611

Midshipman
Young padwell, I could crack a joke about being a steward/mortar troop etc but I wont.

Do not look down upon the lower ranks, they are the reason every other rank exists. Have fun at Uni, shag and drink like a film star whilst you're there but do you honestly have time to get a decent degree, work part time to help fund your degree and commit to the TA?

You obviously have no desire to be a member of the TA long term, your intentions are however honorable but why take up a much needed slot for someone who'll be an asset to the TA once they have finished training? You'll just use that training slot for your own ends before you join the Regs. Join a gym and march up and down in your own time. Better still join the Rugby club.

Now, if you really want the old and bold to give you some advice young thruster, start posting some piccies of them student chicks.
Really sorry - i didnt mean to imply i was looking down on the lower ranks, not in the slightest. I really do have the time at the moment, my degree is structured very strangely, so basically, i can fit my work, TA, and 101 other things in if i really need to. As far as "taking up a much needed slot" - all the information i can see at the moment says the TA are crying out for applicants, and are in the middle of a massive recruitment drive.

The TA may well be crying out for applicants and be in the middle of a huge recruitment drive but guess what padwell, they want trained, deployable soldiers out of the applicants, not "me, myself and I" applicants because they may or may not join the regulars at some stage down the road.

It's not the cadets.

Editted to add...

On re reading that sounds harsh, I'm not trying to knock your intentions just pointing out the TA isn't a cadet formation for people intending to join up as a regular.

Last edited:

markg611

Midshipman
The TA may well be crying out for applicants and be in the middle of a huge recruitment drive but guess what padwell, they want trained, deployable soldiers out of the applicants, not "me, myself and I" applicants because they may or may not join the regulars at some stage down the road.

It's not the cadets.

Editted to add...

On re reading that sounds harsh, I'm not trying to knock your intentions just pointing out the TA isn't a cadet formation for people intending to join up as a regular.
I get what you're saying, and yeah, for alot of cases, it would be an own goals kinda thing, and to an extent, yeah im thinking about myself - but lets not say the armed forces (whichever one i pick) will definitely be worse off - if i join with an extra 3 years part time military training, fitness and mentality, surely they wont think its a waste then?

Again, really sorry if im coming off as selfish, or missing something, or basically sounding like a pri**, its not my intention.

admiralscruff

Lantern Swinger
It doesn't need to come up in your degree for it to be a relevant and useful life skill. I'm not having a go at you, but there are things you may not cover in education that are useful life skills (Mine is handwriting, because I don't do much written work, and I tend to type where possible)

markg611

Midshipman
It doesn't need to come up in your degree for it to be a relevant and useful life skill. I'm not having a go at you, but there are things you may not cover in education that are useful life skills (Mine is handwriting, because I don't do much written work, and I tend to type where possible)
I just meant to say that i dont have much practice, not that i think its unimportant.

Latest Threads