Mountain climbing in the Royal Marines.

markg611

Midshipman
The roles of other Branches.
General Duties do the wary bit while waiting for their 'voluntary' draft to Chefs, Clerks or Signals Course.
Clerks do the Units reading and writing, they get to use all the crayons.
Drivers drive things
Chefs do cooking and a bit of light cleaning if time permits.
Signalers send messages and loaf.... Blobbs told me.
Mortars lug big bits of metal around and then lob other bits of metal forward.
Drill Instructors drill you, show you how to dress, use an iron (steam) and wash your 'parts'.
Platoon Weapons Instructors show you how to live in the field, use weapons and generally fcuk you about.
Physical Training Instructors get you fitter and pose about in singlets and tight shorts.

Let me get this straight. After some of the most insane courses in the military in the world, after all the sweat blood and tears to get the green beret, they can say to you, "aye you're not a bad shot, but we need a cook" ?
F*** that.

Thanks for all the info folks, but as was very accurately pointed out, im not actually interested in this role, i just wondered about how much it was involved for most marines.

tentoes

War Hero
Let me get this straight. After some of the most insane courses in the military in the world, after all the sweat blood and tears to get the green beret, they can say to you, "aye you're not a bad shot, but we need a cook" ?
F*** that.

Thanks for all the info folks, but as was very accurately pointed out, im not actually interested in this role, i just wondered about how much it was involved for most marines.
Generally it doesn't work quite like that. but in some cases it does, for various reasons that I will not bother my arse to go through as I have wasted far too much of my life already. We know your not interested in the role, you have told us this. Go and do some more research on what being a bootneck is about before you do think about joining up as there maybe other aspects that you don't enjoy.

All the best and get your farking heels together next time you feel the need to be flippant C*nto.

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
Jeez you try and lighten the mood and the noob goes all PMS on the Green Death.
:-|
Markg611 go to an AFCO and ask about RM careers, they'll give you some nice glossy brouchures and maybe even let you watch some daring do videos.

PS Best frock is required rig of the day.

Can I please advice the original OP (markyg) that bimbling up and down mountains may appear romantic and fun to the easily impressed and dumb but it soon losses it's appeal once you're humping a Bergan, link, spare radio batteries and mortar bombs around. The girlies in 45 cheated and put it in sledges (pulks) and dragged it all around behind them in the snow. The Bronzed Gods of 40 used to man up and carry it. :)

markg611

Midshipman
Again, thanks for all the replies, my questions have been answered pretty well.
For the record, i wasnt trying to offend anyone, or ask daft questions, or be "flippant". I was just a little surprised by what was said.
I'm also well aware that when it actually comes up to joining, the best thing to do is hit the AFCO, however, i was just looking for information, and the AFCO is near pointless if you dont actually want to sign up straight away. I have 2.5 years of uni left, and am currently in the middle of my TA sign up stuff, to get some exp in while i can.

Last edited:

Rigsby

Lantern Swinger
Can I please advice the original OP (markyg) that bimbling up and down mountains may appear romantic and fun to the easily impressed and dumb but it soon losses it's appeal once you're humping a Bergan, link, spare radio batteries and mortar bombs around. The girlies in 45 cheated and put it in sledges (pulks) and dragged it all around behind them in the snow. The Bronzed Gods of 40 used to man up and carry it. :)
You try getting 5inch heels to fit into a pair of two tens! it aint easy

going downhill with a pulk attached must be similar to being strapped onto the front bumper of your 'truck' - great view but no f*cking controll whatsoever :-D

oh, and the tree stops.........how we laughed and laughed.............happy days

tentoes

War Hero
Again, thanks for all the replies, my questions have been answered pretty well.
For the record, i wasnt trying to offend anyone, or ask daft questions, or be "flippant". I was just a little surprised by what was said.
I'm also well aware that when it actually comes up to joining, the best thing to do is hit the AFCO, however, i was just looking for information, and the AFCO is near pointless if you dont actually want to sign up straight away. I have 2.5 years of uni left, and am currently in the middle of my TA sign up stuff, to get some exp in while i can.
Your last sentence just about sum's it up for me....

Without a doubt your are definitely occifer material, you have less knowledge about the subject than you claim, make shite asumptions without gaining clarification about the situation you have been briefly told about, make excuses about why you have not done the right/correct thing. Then write a note to everyone making out no one understands you and really it's theyre fault that your coming across as a bit of a C*nto!.

Pleasure to meet your Sir! xxx

markg611

Midshipman
Your last sentence just about sum's it up for me....

Without a doubt your are definitely occifer material, you have less knowledge about the subject than you claim, make shite asumptions without gaining clarification about the situation you have been briefly told about, make excuses about why you have not done the right/correct thing. Then write a note to everyone making out no one understands you and really it's theyre fault that your coming across as a bit of a C*nto!.

Pleasure to meet your Sir! xxx

Thats bull on several different levels. For a start, i didnt blame anyone else for not being able to understand me - obviously its my fault for not being clear in what i meant.
On top of that, there's a difference between an excuse, and an explanation.

Who shoved a SA80 up your arse?

tentoes

War Hero
Thats bull on several different levels. For a start, i didnt blame anyone else for not being able to understand me - obviously its my fault for not being clear in what i meant.
On top of that, there's a difference between an excuse, and an explanation.

Who shoved a SA80 up your arse?
Its commonly called A A2 nowadays for obvious reasons FYI, and to date no one has ever shown the desire to try (for very obvious reasons face to face not typing it). However we are all C*nto's at some times in our lives, IMHO i think you should continue as you are and branch out from your future TA career to join sandhurst, the army system may be easier for you to understand and it's obvious your not one for going for the more demanding option.
Have a good life sweetheart xxx

markg611

Midshipman
Its commonly called A A2 nowadays for obvious reasons FYI, and to date no one has ever shown the desire to try (for very obvious reasons face to face not typing it). However we are all C*nto's at some times in our lives, IMHO i think you should continue as you are and branch out from your future TA career to join sandhurst, the army system may be easier for you to understand and it's obvious your not one for going for the more demanding option.
Have a good life sweetheart xxx

I appreciate what i think me be an honest little bit of advice there, and its definitely on my radar. To be perfectly frank, i havent decided what i want to do with my life yet, but the army or the Royal Marines are calling to me in a way that most jobs dont, and i was just curious about something i read somewhere.

tentoes

War Hero
I appreciate what i think me be an honest little bit of advice there, and its definitely on my radar. To be perfectly frank, i havent decided what i want to do with my life yet, but the army or the Royal Marines are calling to me in a way that most jobs dont, and i was just curious about something i read somewhere.
It is Honest advice and if you read it well you may work out why i have suggested the path I did from the information you have given us in your posts.

Good luck.

What are they saying? No job ever called me.

Beer on the other hand, well, fcuksake it cant stop talking.

"Drink me....DRINK ME NOW..."

"YOU KNOW YOU WANT ME YOU SLAG"

"HAVE ME NOW BIG BOY"

Crap like that, friggin stuff is always calling me.

Latest Threads