Mountain climbing in the Royal Marines.

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by markg611, Jan 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey folks, just looking for a wee bit of information that seems not to exist anywhere else on here - please point me in the right direction if i've missed it.
    So during training, and on operations, how much mountain climbing are marines expected to do? Is it just something that specifically trained mountain climbing Marines are involved with, or is it everyone?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
  2. Too much! :-D
    When the main priority was defending NATO's Northern Flank some Units (Stand fast 40! :pottytrain2:) were tasked as Mountain and Arctic Warfare and had regular trips to hilly bits of Scotland and then cold and snowy bits of Northern Europe. That still occurs if trips to hilly bits in warm and sandy places don't intervene.
    Because it's character building is why.
    Technical climbing is usually carried out by or under supervision of Mountain Leaders, a breed apart and exiremely fit mentalists.
    More recent members of the Corps or those in the know will be able to tell you the training pipeline for that, but you're unlikely to get it without a tour under your belt.
    Either or, if hills, snow and big girt loads on your back toast your crumpet and you've got the dress sense of Karl Lagerfeld you know it makes sense to visit the AFCO and speak to the man dressed in Prada.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. NZ, covered most of it. However all RM's during Commando trg will do a little bit of training in ropework and you will spend a bit of time on Dartmoor getting cold and wet. Should you be blessed (and not many are) you could go to 45 Commando and will spend a fair bit of time carrying out M&AW training in Northern Scotland. (I think that the Corps still sends quite a few guys to Norway for Arctic training).

4. NZ_bootneck has summed it up nicely for you he is showing his age though, 40 Cdo RM also adopted the MCWW role in the 90's.
    When you say mountain climbing are you thinking K2/everest sheer face stuff or arduous hill walking?, ML's and RL's would perform the former and every bugger gets the big hill walking. If your question is really about Rct training then you should still have to do at least a quarry day for cliff assault techniques some big hill walking and a night cliff assault, unless i'm now showing my age.:thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah that answers it all, thanks alot guys. Tiny query - what does RL stand for?
    My question is purely because im a big fan of the "arduous hill walking" but not so much the sheer cliff face stuff, and wondered about exactly how mental they are about what you have to do.

Cheers, markg611

6. RL= Recce Leader was brought in some years back, ML's have to be Cpl's (passed JCC) whereas RL's are BRF lads at Mne level, there are also RL's within Unit (even 45) Recce Troops. You have to have at least a tolerance to climbing for either,if you can't climb (IE heights are a major issue) don't consider it IMHO. All this considered if you are joining up these options would not be open to you untill you have had a good while to consider things for a while.

7. Thanks for your reply, that answers all my questions.
    Im sure i can handle the climbing and the heights, i just dont enjoy it very much.

EDIT - i wasnt hoping to be a ML or RL if i join up, just to clear up any confusion.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  8. You can start your training by abseiling out of your bedroom window when you have been grounded by Mater and Pater.

• Like Like x 1

9. Oh, I've been doing that since I was 14.

10. Remember though, being an ML is about providing information to the Commander, not just about going up and down big chunks of rock, however fun that is.

11. Thanks for Fixing that for me Alfred.

12. Well, no one pointed out that the main point of MLs (and BRF) is to act as the Brigade Commander's organic Int and Surveillance team. Anyway, the lad doesn't want to be one, so it's a bit pointless giving him chapter and verse.

13. Nice of you to bore on though.
    Cheers.

14. Medium range organic ISTAR if he needs that info.:thumbup:

I'm always guilty of assuming people know stuff if theyre only asking specific questions, However good point and well presented.

Hey folks, just looking for a wee bit of information that seems not to exist anywhere else on here - please point me in the right direction if i've missed it.
    So during training, and on operations, how much mountain climbing are marines expected to do? Is it just something that specifically trained mountain climbing Marines are involved with, or is it everyone?

Just a quick one is it right that Anti Tanks tps main role is protesting about heavy armour?

15. No one in the Corps is specifically trained as a Climbing Unit other than the Cadre, Recce Tp and BRF, 45 used to spend a long time in the M&AW role. However during training you will do a small amount of rope training at CTC. You may go off and do some mountain training when in a Cdo Unit but that will depend on your Units Op training and deployments

Anti tank troop's primary role is anti armour but they can also be used to take out any "other" obstacles in the Units way, they can be used against any soft skinned vehicles and also against bunkers or reinforced defensive positions. When deployed the Troop can also be re-roled into another fighting company.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  16. The roles of other Branches.
    General Duties do the wary bit while waiting for their 'voluntary' draft to Chefs, Clerks or Signals Course.
    Clerks do the Units reading and writing, they get to use all the crayons.
    Drivers drive things
    Chefs do cooking and a bit of light cleaning if time permits.
    Signalers send messages and loaf.... Blobbs told me.
    Mortars lug big bits of metal around and then lob other bits of metal forward.
    Drill Instructors drill you, show you how to dress, use an iron (steam) and wash your 'parts'.
    Platoon Weapons Instructors show you how to live in the field, use weapons and generally fcuk you about.
    Physical Training Instructors get you fitter and pose about in singlets and tight shorts.

17. for missing the obvious.

Protesting was not a spelling mistake.

Obviously the "sarcasm" in that question was never going to fail Cam&con. Timex do you mean to One can't apply for the "Royal Marines formation climbing team"?

Timex I assume your reply was based upon my failiure to have the text from the OP in quote form, and your failure to read back through before posting, therefore explaining your assupmtion that I'm a clueless "strawberry mivi coont".

18. I think NZB missed out Bandsmen and women who blow things and bang things, normally each other!

19. Its starting to get silly now. However good to see the Corps section active.

20. Life shouldn't be this difficult...............

AE's blow things up, usually not the right things but hey ho.

• Like Like x 1