Motorists face a new army of car snoopers

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, Jun 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im with you there Slim. :thumright:

Its the uninsured/untaxed vehicles and people that put the prices up for us law abidding drivers..........

creakin

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I've just been on the phone to the nice men at VOSA about getting an exemption from an O licence, very helpful they were to, I just hope if Plod pull me they have the same point of view as VOSA.

3. Just wait until the Muslim Council gets hold of this - yet another law designed to harrass their people..

4. No I think that they belong to an exempt group as the Koran forbids theft and not having your car tax is theft.

5. Can't see why you're knocking the Mail ?

I've read the report and it is quoting the RAC concerns at "....growing army of bureaucrats"

What is a concern, perhaps, is the fact that they can 'immobilise the vehicle if they believe the driver will ignore a penalty fine" - does this mean that the Inspectors will have telepathic knowledge of your actions ?
    What happens if it is cockup at DVLA ?

The RAC's points are valid from what I can see, and as one letter poster on the Mail website states the advert campaign of 'we know who you are and where you are' which fairly covers most of the UK drivers - maybe what they should be after is the foreign registered, possibly non-properly maintained, lorries from Europe and all foreign registered cars , which is fair enough surely ?

Why not check the dodgy garages to ensure cars are saf?
    Why not ensure that before anyone can buy a car, they are a legal holder of a license ?,

They RAC also points out 'lone drivers, such as women, being flagged down by uniforms who are not police"

And the black uniforms seem a little fascist and overly threatening to say the least, but just the thing we can expect from the current administration.

Perhaps the days of the police are now numbered, and we can expect the likes of the Robocop private police..... ???

You've got to laugh, even though it is supposed to be aserious comment, that the VOSA 'will fine foreign drivers on the spot' :roll: yeah yeah.

If Ladyman was serious about making roads safer, then this government would use the billions taken in road taxes/fines, and make sure the roads were decent enough to drive on, elevate pedestrian pavements above street level, and at busy crossroads, have elevated walkovers to kee pedestrians off the same level as vehicles....but... that won't be getting money from the public will it ??

There a lot more ways to make the roads safer without resorting to private armies, and money extraction.

6. Already seen a couple of the Camera cars out and about looking for tax dodgers, also pass 2 VOSA stations twice a day.

Spent 18 months working with them while they had a new computer system fitted and most are decent people but like all places they have the over zealous bods.....

VOSA already have mobile patrols, normally close to Vehicle Testing Stations to direct HGVs into the testing area and they do have the kit for on the spot fines - trust me I was involved in some of the testing......

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

On the spot fines are an option if the Police issue the ticket, powers exist under the Police and Criminal Act that make this possible under certain circumstances. These powers are not available to other agencies

8. Worked with VOSA and it was interesting to read some of the stuff that was being banded around at the time (2-3yrs ago)

Also if you ever go to an area where VOSA are pulling in Coaches/Lorries there is always a Police presence......

9. If a valid tax disc is displayed I dont think that the vehicle would be clamped. I all for the rest of your suggestions though as the more drivers illegally using our roads removed the better.
    As for foreign drivers ignoring fines, surely number recognition camera's on all port exits could be triggered to alert staff to stop vehicles with outstanding fines. The vehicle could then be impounded until fine paid.

10. I agree with that. I also think that they should be targetting foreign vehicles on our roads - look at the number of cars on Polish plates that seem to be living here permanently. Customs should know what date a car has entered the country and if it has been here for more than say six months and is still on a foreign plate, then that car should be impounded..

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

There were limits for using both foreign registered vehicles and a forgeign driving licence, perhaps someone more current with the law can update us?

12. Surely all that needs to happen is when they come into the Country, the car details are logged at point of entry along with passport number, address, insurance details etc and if they dont have insurance then car is turned round sent home. If car is later found to be unroadworthy, its impounded and crushed.

13. However this system has snags;

It would be cheap, simple and effective

In other words a non starter

14. The German system is better, foreinger is stopped for any traffic offence you have the choice jail till your case comes up of pay bail equivalent to the estimated fine, most people pay up on the spot. For camera offences etc you can just pull over the dodgy ones at the ferry port, pay or miss the ferry. We have the ability and technology just we don't use it, too bloody lazy.

15. Janner

The new rules in Spain and I assume this is EU wide, you can keep and drive a EU registered vehicle as long as you like providing the vehicle is lawful in the country where it is registered and your insurance covers the places in the EU where you drive it.

i.e. Taxed and MOT if required plus insurance in my case to cover Spain etc. You no longer need to re-register the car after 6 months in the new country

Driving licence a EU D/L covers you in all EU Countries for the vehicles you are qualified to drive until your UK licence for instance comes into conflict with the local laws i.e. driving/medical test at the age of 70 then you have to comply with the laws of the country you normally reside in and in theory get a Spanish Licence in my case. I have contacted DVLC about the address on my licence and they state they will not put a non UK address on it and I am exempt that requirement of not having my current home address on the licence.

These facts were taken from The Costa Blanc Times a English language local paper.

How the Police can enforce this and what access they have to all the EU Country records is beyond me. In Spain they have a points system which is recorded against your name and address and works in reverse to UK you start with 12 and lose points. when you reach zero they ban you and take your license off you physically.

Nutty

16. [quote="slim .[/quote]

If a valid tax disc is displayed I dont think that the vehicle would be clamped. I all for the rest of your suggestions though as the more drivers illegally using our roads removed the better.
    As for foreign drivers ignoring fines, surely number recognition camera's on all port exits could be triggered to alert staff to stop vehicles with outstanding fines. The vehicle could then be impounded until fine paid.[/quote]

But foreign cars do not have tax discs.

And the thought that someone may ignore a penalty fine requiring immobilisation of the vehicle is rather draconian isn't it - as I commented previously 'telepathic powers' being needed by the new private army being considered by Ladyman.

Maybe there should a vehicle MOT test on all incoming foreign vehicles (paid for by them) to ensure that they conform to UK vehicle safety rules, and then a cash only tax in case they transgress any traffic laws/ parking etc, the balance being refundable on exit from the country.

It would mean more money to setup a data base, but the foreign MOT payments could finance this I would think.

There are for more effective ways of policing this proposal - but the bottom line is really only aimed at UK drivers despite what they say - as I said earlier, a purely fascist way of extracting money.

17. I quite agree with everyone on the commercial vehicle and untaxed and, most certainly, uninsured cars. I also agree about examining the long term "visitor" cars but being very careful not to aggravate or harass genuine tourists.

At the clear risk of inviting a shed load triple A, I would be most poxed off if some petty official hit me for not displaying a tax disc on my all road legal air portable Rover. The Police, surprisingly, are sensible about it and accept that when they can stop people from stealing tax discs from an unlockable rag top/no top vehicle, people won't remove them when not attended. Why don't I fix it to the windscreen with the clever, clear sticky things? it gets a new disc every year and, in the summer, there is often no windscreen!

It does bother me that what will probably be semi trained upstarts will have the authority to judge what and what isn't roadworthy. The Construction and Use regulations aren't that simple. Of course, there are always the Courts to adjudicate disagreements but they do cost money. The Authorities don't care if they aren't awarded costs but ordinary people do. Maybe that's it; ordinary people aren't welcome on the roads as they just make them crowded fot the special people.

Sometimes a bit of unfairness is better than a Police State.

18. The law is clear on displaying a valid tax disk, though I agree that in an open top vehicle many in today's society would take advantage and steal the disc. However a quick check with DVLC soon reveals the legality or not of a vehicle being on the highway. I know mistakes do occur but thats a risk you take when choosing not to display the disc.
    As far as I am concerned I would rather get 100 illegals off the road and if the necessary the authorities should apologise/compensate those who they have mistakenly clamped during the investigations.

19. If a valid tax disc is displayed I dont think that the vehicle would be clamped. I all for the rest of your suggestions though as the more drivers illegally using our roads removed the better.
    As for foreign drivers ignoring fines, surely number recognition camera's on all port exits could be triggered to alert staff to stop vehicles with outstanding fines. The vehicle could then be impounded until fine paid.[/quote]

But foreign cars do not have tax discs.

And the thought that someone may ignore a penalty fine requiring immobilisation of the vehicle is rather draconian isn't it - as I commented previously 'telepathic powers' being needed by the new private army being considered by Ladyman.

Maybe there should a vehicle MOT test on all incoming foreign vehicles (paid for by them) to ensure that they conform to UK vehicle safety rules, and then a cash only tax in case they transgress any traffic laws/ parking etc, the balance being refundable on exit from the country.

It would mean more money to setup a data base, but the foreign MOT payments could finance this I would think.

There are for more effective ways of policing this proposal - but the bottom line is really only aimed at UK drivers despite what they say - as I said earlier, a purely fascist way of extracting money.[/quote]

============================================

Slim

In Spain you have a tax receipt stamped by bank as paid, plus insurance cert. plus cert from bank to say you have paid the insurance. Your MOT Yearly sticker is displayed on the windscreen. Including log book and driving licence all document to be carried in car at all times no 5 days to produce. Ticket if you fail to produce any of them. If you get out of your car on a main road don Flouresent tabard or get fines. Must have two in reach of driver and front passenger at all times. Mine are marked "Incident Officer" and "Fire Marshall"

All UK has to do is make fines on the spot for non residents, plus have number plate recognition system at the ports for any outstanding fines, parking tickets, congestion charges cos they go with the car not the driver. When you go to tax the car yearly you also get hit for any outstanding tickets. No good saying but I was not the driver, tough.

Nutty
    But then if it a EU country they must be wrong cos us Brits are alway right.

Nutty