Motorcycling: Filtering Law Has Changed

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by sgtpepperband, Aug 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Further to recent threads regarding the animosity between driers and bikers, in particular over bikes that 'filter' between stationary or slow-moving traffic, here's an interesting article from Aug 2007's edition of "Bike" magazine (Britain's best-selling motorcycle magazine):

2. To me and the Police say this also, filtering at low speed is fine (IE; when traffic is virtually at a standstill) but if you do it at silly speeds, then AFAIC, you only have yourself to blame.

I always filter when the traffic is slow moving or stopped and will continue to do so. I will not, however, do what some bikers do and that is hammer down the carriageway at 50-70 mph in between cars, just will not.

3. as far as i am aware brigs.....that has always been the case ever since i've been riding (10 yrs) And with ya on the stupid filtering...... i like all my extremities where they are.

4. I agree with you on that Brigham, nothing annoys me more than to watch some twat screaming between lanes of traffic that are doing 70mph on the M27
    Check out this link shippers
    http://www.mac-pac.org/temp/motivation.html

5. I read the article and it made sense,

We ( Police) were taught and expected to filter between 2 lanes of slow moving traffic ( either opposing or same direction) otherwise you would never get anywhere in Glasgow especially when policing Old Firm games

6. On my way to work there is a small stretch of Dual Carriageway straight after a roundabout. This AM .I got to the dual carriageway, checked my mirrors and indicated to overtake a wagon that had been holding myself and about 8-9 cars up. A motorbike came round the roundabout 'filtering' at about 70 to pass cars that were doing about 40, he had to make a left right S coming off the roundabout onto the dual carriageway where he had no way of knowing if anyone was overtaking as he would not have been able to see passed the raised roundabout, it is only by sheer good fortune that I managed to slam by brakes on and move back to my left, otherwise I would have been scraping idiot off the back of my car for the rest of the day.

7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

That is not filtering... its attempted suicide!