Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Motor bike Jolly at Mod and Tax payers expense

Mod expense Jolly

what do people think of this?

another Jolly paid for by MOD and the tax payer, spending over £4k on fuel and still hoping to raise £10k in charitable donations. And all in works time! and this unit 800 NAS claim they are short of manpower and can't spare us the time off!
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Perhaps the personnel are doing this during their own leave time, rather than Pusser's time..?

Hmm, sounds like sour grapes there, ATW. Doesn't have anything to do with the fact that they are from 800NAS and you are - presumably - from 801 NAS? :roll:

Anyway, any event - regardless of the initial investment - that raises money for Forces' charities is worthwhile in my opinion. So stop being a misery guts, 801ATW, and put your hand in your pocket! :thumbleft:
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Have to say that charitable activities which are thouroughly enjoyable and beneficial to the individual, free from hardship, incur significant costs deducted from the money charitably donated and are without significant fiscal donations from those participating themselves - are nothing less than a scam.

Whether this is one of them I have no idea & would reserve judgement, but they appear to have raised £345 since the 12th of April: http://www.justgiving.com/helpforheroespointtopoint which is about £38.30 raised by each of the nine participants.

I do however get fed-up with the "we're going sub-aqua parachuting in the Maldives for charidee" bollocks brigade. If those individuals stayed at home and put their hands in their pockets themselves whilst maybe giving freely of their time to help or inspire and motivate others in their own time, it would perhaps avoid the "sour grapes" perception by those that view charity accolades as "Other Buggers Efforts".
 

chieftiff

War Hero
Moderator
801alltheway said:
what do people think of this?

Good effort, it's great when people get off their arse and organise events like this even better when their intent is to raise cash for a worthwhile charity. The downside is of course that you always get miserable pricks who deride the effort of others for no other reason than they are................................. uh, pricks!

I doubt you are going to raise any serious level of outrage, most of those on this site can remember the days when jolly's were an integral part of service life, back in the days when the concept of "team" far outweighed the days of "me". Work hard play hard and all that.........
 

scouse

War Hero
:roll: When, 800, 801, had a healthy respect and admiration of one another! In the bad old days off Buccaneers :wink: :wink:
 

Waspie

War Hero
Looks like a case of 'pissed off' because sister sqdn thought of a good idea first.

Inter sqdn rivalry is healthy but not when it comes to whining over a good cause.

Wind it in and get on with ya flex ops.
 

Pontius

War Hero
Have I missed something? Has 801 been re-commissioned? If not then 801 ATW is probably in 800 and is just having a drip because some of the boys are not there to work with him, for whatever reason.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Pontius said:
Have I missed something? Has 801 been re-commissioned? If not then 801 ATW is probably in 800 and is just having a drip because some of the boys are not there to work with him, for whatever reason.

All the more confusing as I wasn't aware Woos did Fridays. :wink:
 

tommo

War Hero
Having experience in the difficulties of getting people in this current climate to donate money to charity it doesn't need people like you dripping.

Remember no body dips out in the RN, just some dip in more than others
 

scouse

War Hero
Ninja_Stoker said:
Pontius said:
Have I missed something? Has 801 been re-commissioned? If not then 801 ATW is probably in 800 and is just having a drip because some of the boys are not there to work with him, for whatever reason.

All the more confusing as I wasn't aware Woos did Fridays. :wink:
Woos do Friday mornings only!! :wink: for sport, those excused sports, could proceed for the early morning train for ELWE Leave :lol:
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
scouse said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
Pontius said:
Have I missed something? Has 801 been re-commissioned? If not then 801 ATW is probably in 800 and is just having a drip because some of the boys are not there to work with him, for whatever reason.

All the more confusing as I wasn't aware Woos did Fridays. :wink:
Woos do Friday mornings only!! :wink: for sport, those excused sports, could proceed for the early morning train for ELWE Leave :lol:

Maybe the OP could do their bit for "charidee" by getting sponsorship for working a friday afternoon so as he/she doesn't feel left out. :lol:
 

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Ninja_Stoker said:
scouse said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
Pontius said:
Have I missed something? Has 801 been re-commissioned? If not then 801 ATW is probably in 800 and is just having a drip because some of the boys are not there to work with him, for whatever reason.

All the more confusing as I wasn't aware Woos did Fridays. :wink:
Woos do Friday mornings only!! :wink: for sport, those excused sports, could proceed for the early morning train for ELWE Leave :lol:

Maybe the OP could do their bit for "charidee" by getting sponsorship for working a friday afternoon so as he/she doesn't feel left out. :lol:

Good point! And on that note, how many RRers are actually posting this morning from their places of work, rather than from their laptop at home..? :wink:
 

Andy_Cap

War Hero
sgtpepperband said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
scouse said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
Pontius said:
Have I missed something? Has 801 been re-commissioned? If not then 801 ATW is probably in 800 and is just having a drip because some of the boys are not there to work with him, for whatever reason.

All the more confusing as I wasn't aware Woos did Fridays. :wink:
Woos do Friday mornings only!! :wink: for sport, those excused sports, could proceed for the early morning train for ELWE Leave :lol:

Maybe the OP could do their bit for "charidee" by getting sponsorship for working a friday afternoon so as he/she doesn't feel left out. :lol:

Good point! And on that note, how many RRers are actually posting this morning from their places of work, rather than from their laptop at home..? :wink:

Well i have been in the office for 3 hours. 40 mins to weekend :D
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
One of life's peculiarities working in the Naval Careers Service is that Friday afternoons, instead of sitting in a traffic jam on the M6/M5 in Brum, are usually now spent answering "officer-type" queries from undergraduates who are unable to get out of bed Mon-Thurs.
 

brigham600

War Hero
I don't see the problem with it at all, but then again, I am a biker myself and also have no idea why a bloody WAFU is complaining about others having time off. Get a life.
 
:evil: I could not agree more ,this is nothing more than a fortnight away from work on the lash masquerading as a charitable event. Whilst I applaud and indeed support those wishing to assist the H4H organisation I firmly believe that the persons involved in this stunt have orchastrated it as a way of raising their professional profile combined with the added bennefits of time away from a busy squadron.

I hope this team succeeds in raising the 10k target but think this would have been more easily achieved with a less costly venture considering 4k is going straight to the cost of fuel.
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Captain-Pugwash said:
I hope this team succeeds in raising the 10k target but think this would have been more easily achieved with a less costly venture considering 4k is going straight to the cost of fuel.

Quite possibly this very thread has added another few quid to the alleged fuel bill aspect as it seems to have received an impressive total of £405 donated online to date, not counting that raised en-route which will doubtless top the £14K, it is claimed.

Pity Tony Hayward (of BP fame) doesn't frequent this site as he appears to be liberally distributing fossil fuels for free at present, rather than charging our selfless motorcyclists £4K on the forecourt.
 

Piran

Midshipman
from personal experience of working with some of these reprobates, Pusser will save money from them being away from work ;).

But seriously, it is for charity and for what ever amount they raise it should be gracefully acknowledged. However, well done for the guys who raised 31k BZ's alround. Let's hope these guys can get somewhere near, although I doubt they will have published the event that well (I work on the same camp and this is the first I knew about it!)

And for the record 801 NAS has not existed since she disbanded as the last SHAR Sqn in 2006. We have tried but our younger sideways walking friends have managed to stop the Navy's best efforts. So when the Government killed one of the RAF Harrier Sqns they also killed 801 'Ghost' Sqn, which the public probably don't know! As for 800 being undermanned? pah! As the Navy has had to 'prove' to the crabs that we can fly fixed wing strike, the NAS's have been the best manned Sqns in the FAA for years. And now there is a load of surplus manpower from 801 and IV.

I think someone maybe fishing for a flash. perhaps they should try the crabs before the inter FAA banter ;)
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Customers could lose out in motor parts merger MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK firms showcase the future of mobility at Frankfurt Motor Show MoD News 0
DemobJob Motor Vehicle Parts Assessor (Home Based) £28,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil "Motor Boat & Yachting Tests A Royal Navy Frigate!" The Fleet 0
soleil News and Star: "Cumbrian Sailor’s £1 Billion Motor!" The Fleet 0
witsend The Maharajas' Motor Car Motoring 1
S A Loss To Motor Racing Diamond Lil's 4
S WW2 Motor Gun Boats The Fleet 3
BillyNoMates Motor Torpedo Boat - For Rent. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
Not_a_boffin Type 45 Motor problems The Fleet 4
MoD_RSS First far north “blood bike” named MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK shows pedal power as bike exports rise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £6.8 million boost to help thousands more rail commuters travel by bike MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government ushers in new era of green commutes with e-bike Cycle to Work scheme MoD News 0
Dabs Bike Ride Miscellaneous 4
MoD_RSS Press release: British Bike exports soar as the UK's best head for Manchester MoD News 0
P HMS Sultan bike storage Health & Fitness 0
MoD_RSS News story: Commuting by bike to become easier in new year following funding boost MoD News 0
L Taking my bike with me Travel & The Great Outdoors 15
AAF Wiggy Bike. Diamond Lil's 3
S 100 Mile Bike Ride Charity 9
janner Charity Bike Run Charity 0
F Minister who calls police 'pleb' seen stealing Granville's bike from Arkwrights shop. Current Affairs 35
janner For Bike lovers everywhere Diamond Lil's 1
Chalky HM AMBUSH Barrow to Derby Bike Ride - A sponsorship plea. Charity 0
T The Old Bike Miscellaneous 0
2_deck_dash Bike insurance WTF!? Motoring 29
speppy2316 mountain bike sponsors Sports and Adventure Training 11
M Broken Hand Fter falling from bike Health & Fitness 7
C falling of my bike :l The Internet - Best and Worst 5
soleil Red Arrows - H4H Bike Ride w/Ross Kemp - May 24th - Pompey Charity 6
BusterQuin Guzz Bike Show in Aid of the Poppy Appeal Motoring 3
GashHand Buying a new bike. Motoring 20
S Bike Advice Motoring 9
RNGrommits Bike Lessons in Pompey Motoring 9
S Help for Heroes Big Battlefield Bike Ride Charity 62
Chicogiz Sponser me on a bike ride? Charity 3
Ships_Cat Bike sex man placed on probation Diamond Lil's 32
F The best car/ lorry/ bike/trike you'd own if money Motoring 13
slim MP defends quad bike on expenses Diamond Lil's 6
golden_rivet Fancy a bike??? 'Beachcombers' in Action. Current Affairs 34
Drakey Surgeon Captain Rick Jolly - RIP The Fleet 65
Seaweed A WW2 Jolly Roger Submariners 7
SONAR-BENDER Jolly Jack the bank robber Diamond Lil's 30
SONAR-BENDER Jolly Roger found Submariners 6
Waspie Jolly Sailor - Portland Bases / Shore Est 6
D Jolly Roger in the Wardroom/Mess Submariners 1
D jolly roger The Quarterdeck 5
soleil Jackspeak by Rick Jolly - New, Revised & Expanded Edition Just Published The Book Club 13
soleil Telegraph: Rick Jolly and HMS Ardent crew on Sky TV this wk Current Affairs 11
Similar threads


















































New Posts

Top