Motor bike Jolly at Mod and Tax payers expense

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by 801alltheway, Jun 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mod expense Jolly

what do people think of this?

another Jolly paid for by MOD and the tax payer, spending over £4k on fuel and still hoping to raise £10k in charitable donations. And all in works time! and this unit 800 NAS claim they are short of manpower and can't spare us the time off!
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Perhaps the personnel are doing this during their own leave time, rather than Pusser's time..?

Hmm, sounds like sour grapes there, ATW. Doesn't have anything to do with the fact that they are from 800NAS and you are - presumably - from 801 NAS? :roll:

Anyway, any event - regardless of the initial investment - that raises money for Forces' charities is worthwhile in my opinion. So stop being a misery guts, 801ATW, and put your hand in your pocket! :thumbleft:
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Have to say that charitable activities which are thouroughly enjoyable and beneficial to the individual, free from hardship, incur significant costs deducted from the money charitably donated and are without significant fiscal donations from those participating themselves - are nothing less than a scam.

Whether this is one of them I have no idea & would reserve judgement, but they appear to have raised £345 since the 12th of April: which is about £38.30 raised by each of the nine participants.

I do however get fed-up with the "we're going sub-aqua parachuting in the Maldives for charidee" bollocks brigade. If those individuals stayed at home and put their hands in their pockets themselves whilst maybe giving freely of their time to help or inspire and motivate others in their own time, it would perhaps avoid the "sour grapes" perception by those that view charity accolades as "Other Buggers Efforts".
  4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Good effort, it's great when people get off their arse and organise events like this even better when their intent is to raise cash for a worthwhile charity. The downside is of course that you always get miserable pricks who deride the effort of others for no other reason than they are................................. uh, pricks!

I doubt you are going to raise any serious level of outrage, most of those on this site can remember the days when jolly's were an integral part of service life, back in the days when the concept of "team" far outweighed the days of "me". Work hard play hard and all that.........
  5. :roll: When, 800, 801, had a healthy respect and admiration of one another! In the bad old days off Buccaneers :wink: :wink:
  6. Looks like a case of 'pissed off' because sister sqdn thought of a good idea first.

Inter sqdn rivalry is healthy but not when it comes to whining over a good cause.

Wind it in and get on with ya flex ops.
  7. Have I missed something? Has 801 been re-commissioned? If not then 801 ATW is probably in 800 and is just having a drip because some of the boys are not there to work with him, for whatever reason.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

All the more confusing as I wasn't aware Woos did Fridays. :wink:
  9. Having experience in the difficulties of getting people in this current climate to donate money to charity it doesn't need people like you dripping.

Remember no body dips out in the RN, just some dip in more than others
  10. Woos do Friday mornings only!! :wink: for sport, those excused sports, could proceed for the early morning train for ELWE Leave :lol:
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Maybe the OP could do their bit for "charidee" by getting sponsorship for working a friday afternoon so as he/she doesn't feel left out. :lol:
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Good point! And on that note, how many RRers are actually posting this morning from their places of work, rather than from their laptop at home..? :wink:
  13. Well i have been in the office for 3 hours. 40 mins to weekend :D
  14. Ninja_Stoker

One of life's peculiarities working in the Naval Careers Service is that Friday afternoons, instead of sitting in a traffic jam on the M6/M5 in Brum, are usually now spent answering "officer-type" queries from undergraduates who are unable to get out of bed Mon-Thurs.
  15. These charity bike rides have been going on for years and years.........why the beef now
  16. 300+ riders are riding 1000miles in 24 hrs this weekend to raise money for the RBL Poppy Appeal. All are riding their own bikes and paying all their own costs. Last years event raised £31000 for the Poppy Appeal
  17. I don't see the problem with it at all, but then again, I am a biker myself and also have no idea why a bloody WAFU is complaining about others having time off. Get a life.
  18. :evil: I could not agree more ,this is nothing more than a fortnight away from work on the lash masquerading as a charitable event. Whilst I applaud and indeed support those wishing to assist the H4H organisation I firmly believe that the persons involved in this stunt have orchastrated it as a way of raising their professional profile combined with the added bennefits of time away from a busy squadron.

I hope this team succeeds in raising the 10k target but think this would have been more easily achieved with a less costly venture considering 4k is going straight to the cost of fuel.
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Quite possibly this very thread has added another few quid to the alleged fuel bill aspect as it seems to have received an impressive total of £405 donated online to date, not counting that raised en-route which will doubtless top the £14K, it is claimed.

Pity Tony Hayward (of BP fame) doesn't frequent this site as he appears to be liberally distributing fossil fuels for free at present, rather than charging our selfless motorcyclists £4K on the forecourt.
  20. from personal experience of working with some of these reprobates, Pusser will save money from them being away from work ;).

But seriously, it is for charity and for what ever amount they raise it should be gracefully acknowledged. However, well done for the guys who raised 31k BZ's alround. Let's hope these guys can get somewhere near, although I doubt they will have published the event that well (I work on the same camp and this is the first I knew about it!)

And for the record 801 NAS has not existed since she disbanded as the last SHAR Sqn in 2006. We have tried but our younger sideways walking friends have managed to stop the Navy's best efforts. So when the Government killed one of the RAF Harrier Sqns they also killed 801 'Ghost' Sqn, which the public probably don't know! As for 800 being undermanned? pah! As the Navy has had to 'prove' to the crabs that we can fly fixed wing strike, the NAS's have been the best manned Sqns in the FAA for years. And now there is a load of surplus manpower from 801 and IV.

I think someone maybe fishing for a flash. perhaps they should try the crabs before the inter FAA banter ;)