motion sickness / bit of a wuss

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by door, Jun 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i want to join the navy as a logistics officer (have got an interview with the careers chap next week) but two things i'm worried about:

1) i get motion sickness pretty badly. i don't feel sick but i get vertigo and feel quite dizzy

2) i'm basically a bit of a wuss. don't like flying, don't like heights, tend to worry about most things...

am i beyond hope?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Despite the fact people will say the best cure is to sit under a tree, many people suffer from sea-sickness initially.

Even Nelson did apparently.

You get used to it in most cases. If you never get used to it you can be medically restricted to serving on the larger ships which wobble about less or if absolutely dire you can be medically discharged.
  3. thanks, sounds like i'm worried about nothing there then :)

what about the general wussiness? will sitting under a tree be the best cure for that as well?;)
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Climbing the tree is generally regarded as a cure for that.
  5. Sir Isaac Newton sat under a tree, and look what happened to him. :w00t:
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Didn't he invent apple pies or something prior to getting electrocuted flying his kite in a storm?
  7. He certainly did, and phoned his mates to tell them all about it.
  8. His Teleportation device was rubbish though. The bugs weren't ironed out until Star Trek came along.
    "Beam me up Scottie." !!
  9. No that was his brother Sparky
  10. Surely that was Benjamin Franklin, who was almost killed. Foolish fellow!

Best way of overcoming a fear is to gradually confront it. I used to be the same - terrified of even sitting on top of the wallbars at school! :oops: Then I started climbing a rather high clocktower two or three times a year and deliberately looking down the middle of the spiral staircase. After a few trips I made a point of standing on the slightly unstable metal grill beneath which was the pendulum and a 200ft drop! In your case you could sign up for a sailing trip and go aloft.

A cheaper method is to shin up a lamp post (when drunk) and sit on the top! :biggrin:
  11. Not exactly the cheapest method around! The first and Last time I shined up a lamp post (when drunk) and sat on the top swinging an England top around I got arrested for public disorder. Comedy value 10/10 at the time (to the crowd of 50 or so), Comedy value when filling out Officer application forms - nil.

P.s. England 1 - Argentina 0; Beckham penalty.

12. that was a brilliant match, worth celebrating in style :) i wouldn't try it myself though... i live in scotland and the normally docile natives can get pretty violent when confronted with the st george's cross... :threaten:

thanks everyone for all your replies, it's made me feel a bit more confident about joining up. i'm still a bit scared - :tp: - but i'm sure i'll get over myself eventually
  13. No no that was Mr Kipling who not many people know was actually Rudyard Kipling, He not only wrote infamous Literature but also made ''Exceedingly good cakes'' Ho ho ha! :dwarf:
  14. Join the Submarine Service. :thumright: You don't get seasick when you're deep! Heights will be less of a problem too.

(Having said that boats do roll like a pig on the surface when it's a bit choppy)
  15. Pop over here mate and I'll take you up in my old banger. At a stroke it will cure you of fear of flying, vertigo and chronic constipation.
    It's worked a treat with some really bad sufferers..
    YOU clean the thing afterwards thank you very much!
  16. i can't, i'm a burd. plus the idea of sitting in a tin can on the bottom of the ocean is even more terrifying than flying 37,000ft above it! :pukel:
  17. Door, try not to worry about it, I've been in for 20 years and STILL feel a bit "manky" from time to time, especially the first couple of days out. The tablets you can get from the sick bay are good although they make you a bit tired (well, thats MY excuse!). As a Logistics Officer, you won't have to go near many heights either, apart from a bit in training but you'll be talked through all that.
  18. It's remarkable what plastic surgery can do nowerdays. And you could always get the op reversed upon retiring from the Andrew. ;)

Looks like you need to join as a CT and ask to be stationed for the entire duration of your career in Commcen Whitehall. It's very convenient for the ICA across the road and the Athæneum... who have allowed women to become members since 2002. :) Alternately you could spend the money on a case of vintage Krug every year. :drunken:
  19. Door,

Have your doc check you out for any inner ear problems as that is a huge contributor to motion sickness and vertigo issues. You'd be surprised how much your ear affects how you feel bobbing about in the water.

Also try training yourself to find the real or create a false horizon to ease some of the quesiness. Amazing what can fool the eye into thinking is the horizon and if you're lucky, your ears will but into as well and keep your lunch down.

When I sailed, I found that smoking cigarettes made my guts turn upside down, so I'd quit for every sail until we got home. (Yeah, I know silly me, I did eventually forget to start smoking again when we got back).

This site has some relevent info for you on the various treatments for seasickness.

I had two bosuns who couldn't get past the seasickness and we assisted them in doing an element transfer to a nice landlocked army job. Their attitude? - Was worth trying the job so they didn't have any regrets.