Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

MOT,s Every TWO Years Proposed

I am with you on that one, along with tarts applying lipstick in the rear view mirror and builders suppin a hot mug of tea whislt doin 90 on the motorway.

BBC News - Reading text message killer driver jailed

It's amazing just walking down the street, people don't look where they are going because they are too busy texting. It's like the nation is addicted to their mobile's nowadays, quite funny when they collide with street furniture though. I am sure it must be some sort of compulsive disorder some people have, they just don't seem to be able to ignore their phone if it goes off.

My wife was asked for £650 quid by a main dealer, as her car needed 'essential repairs' prior to MoT. All the discs and pads required replacing, along with both front tyres.

I brought the car home, got out some of me little gizmos and did a bit of checking. The discs were indeed worn ... to a depth of 0.06mm from the original spec, and the pads had been worn so much that over 8mm was left on each. The tyre tread depths averaged 4.5mm on the front pair and 4.8mm on the rears.

When challenged, the dealer said that the works were essential to the safety of the vehicle! I pointed out that it wasn't the safety of the vehicle that concerned me, it was the safety of the driver! Blonde receptionist didn't understand that bit, and went on to say that the service records must be kept up-to-date by the dealership.

She didn't understand some of the genuine english words which I strung together to explain that she was giving me a rectal recital, and really should bone up on the facts before delivering the falsehoods.

I took it to an independent tester - the local VOSA Commercial - who passed it after going through every part of the car as though it had been a 'recovered write-off'.

Never been back to a dealer, and never will!

OSD

I had new rear disks pads and calipers fitted on my motor, only for it to fail on the disc's two and a half weeks later at the same place as had supplied and fitted them. When I challenged them on it, I was told that the chap who inspected them had of course meant the front assembly.
I then showed them my receipts for the same work they had done on the front in November last year and asked for it all to be renewed under their warranty. It suddenly was reinspected and I was told it was perfect and the mechanic would be disciplined.
What for? getting found out?

Welcome to rip off Britain.

Back when I used to drive proper rustbuckets my mate would charge 60 quid for a MOT without actually checking my car. I wonder how many dodgy MOT mechanics there are like my old friend around the country.

One of our local English language free newspapers actually has a guy advertising to provide 'genuine' UK MOTs........

If you want, check out 'Sur in English' classifieds!!

My cars are on Spanish plates, Spanish insurance and Spanish ITVs! Just so you know!!

We're simply falling in line with many other countries.
In Spain you get four free years and then a test every two years. When the car is ten years old it changes to every year.
The MOT (ITV) stations cannot repair the vehicle, the case in many other EU countries as well. That way you feel the test has not been biased, not done to get work for the garage etc..a much more fair system.
Anybody who relies solely on the test to watch out for the mechanical condition of their car is a tw*t of the first water.
I regularly collect car parking money for charity events. From my vantage point sitting in a low chair I would put a conservative estimate of dodgy tyres at around 50 percent.
Hands up anyone out there who'se rear tyres are dying of old age, having been on the car for 5 or more years - and one of the largest causes of motorway blow outs!

Thought that Spain was a bit more lax towards cars. Only judged may I say by my experience with the "Rock Runners" held together with masking tape. All changed now, all for the better.

MOT snort...............you should see some of the rust buckets driving around here. No bonnet............no problem, a truck with everything from the cab rear taken off, no worries and to make it really bad, its 25 quid to tax my Rover.......BUT "gas" is now $3.80 a gallon. feck! Back in East cornwall, our neighbour, (who was a mekanik), did our MOT's. He was also our local preacher, an honest fella.

As a former MOT tester myself I think it's stupid, not all tester's are trying to rip you off most of us are simply doing a test by the book. I personally think if anything they need to raise the standard of an MOT, people seem to think that if a car has a MOT it is safe for the whole year. The test specifies a minimum safety standard for the car on the day of the test, I have been forced to pass some cars that I wouldn't want my friends or family to drive. Testers get in far more trouble for failing cars that should pass, than for passing cars that should fail. Things like airbags don't need to function despite being an integral part of modern cars safety system. If increased to 2 years as is there will be some real death-traps on the road.

Not in South Australia

Well down here there is nothing equivalant and it shows; absolute heaps driving around driven by what the locals call Hoons. You don't even need insurance as 3rd party is included in the Rego so 16 and 17 year old lads driving round in 5 litre V8's having just passed their test...you can imagine the carnage and for some strange reason they drive into the Stobie Poles (powerline poles) at regular intervals :-(
My son's first car is a 2 litre Mondeo, laughed at because it only has 4 cylinders and is a 2.0 but certianly one he could not have afforded to insure in the UK and hoping at 17 he is driving in sensibly :-D

I've got to agree with Ratcatcher here; I've been working on cars and trucks since I left the mob in '72, and MOT testing from '76 to '96 - and it really is a thankless task, believe me.
It seems that you can insult someone's morals, beer drinking prowess, choice of clothing etc., but the second you fail someone's car on the MOT test they go barmy and accuse you of all sorts of things!
Okay, stuff like lights, tyres and wash/wipe are all too obvious, but you'd be amazed at the amount of people who drive around with driveshaft joints and exhausts hanging off, engines spewing oil everywhere and handbrakes seized solid through lack of use/ lubrication.
The other thing you notice is seat squabs that have collapsed so you're actually sitting on the floor, seat covers that have split wide opn and dumping the cushioning all over the carpet, and the old one of the interior being so filthy that you have to wear overalls to get into the damn things.
Add to that the sheer amount of moveable crap, like nutty wrappers, fag ends, CD's and Fanta bottles littering the interior and bouncing around every time you go round a corner or brake suddenly; if one of those ever turned over in an RTA, the driver would get smothered in all sorts of shite and wouldn't be able to breathe for five minutes afterwards.
The whole point of an MOT check is to ensure that all the safety aspects of the vehicle meet set requirements, but you cannot and will never legislate for some people's utter stupidity in ignoring the most basic aspects of vehicle safety, like keeping it clean and tidy.
JB.

Be careful what you wish for. In Northern Ireland, MOT testing is done in DVLNI testing centres and not by car garages. It turns into a logistical nightmare.

Get car serviced.
Book MOT.
Get time which doesn't suit.
Apply for a change of time.
Get a time which still doesn't suit but it slightly better.
Attend MOT appointment.
Fail for some dubious reason.
Return to garage for remedial work.
Rebook MOT test.

and so it goes on. I was relieved when I came over the England and found out that servicing and assessment could be done at the same time.

Used to get mine done at a local Council Test Center, no garage attatched so no ulteria motive for failling it, so they are honest.

Now found a garage I trust so get it done there with the service, carnt be bothered to bugger about with em , apart from lamps and tyres, far too complicated these days and it kills my back

Made me laugh ... took BMW to main dealer for fault rectification ... engine management light was on and all the independant garages' computer thingies couldn't show the problem ... how clever of BMW not to give the diagnostic software to anyone else. At same time full service and MOT ... only then found out they can't do MOT's (This is a BMW/LandRover/Mini main dealer with full service facilities) they took it up the road to a place that resembles a scrap yard with dead / dying motors everywhere where said MOT was carried out. OK it was valeted when I got it back but can only imagine that they had to clean the insides because the state of the MOT inspector!

Made me laugh ... took BMW to main dealer for fault rectification ... engine management light was on and all the independant garages' computer thingies couldn't show the problem ... how clever of BMW not to give the diagnostic software to anyone else. At same time full service and MOT ... only then found out they can't do MOT's (This is a BMW/LandRover/Mini main dealer with full service facilities) they took it up the road to a place that resembles a scrap yard with dead / dying motors everywhere where said MOT was carried out. OK it was valeted when I got it back but can only imagine that they had to clean the insides because the state of the MOT inspector!

What happened too your MG? Blown head gasket? ;)

WSTB

Latest Threads