most time dived

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by briz, Oct 24, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello folks.

I am currently working with a French guy who is a retired sonar analyst on their boats. We got chatting the other day and I mentioned that I have had in a previous job a few weeks riding s and t boats here and there for reasons I won't go into now.

He asked me a question I don't know the answer to. Do RN submariners have an offical log of time spent underwater? Apparently in the French navy they have a "dive book" with everything logged. He has an old colleague with rather a lot of time dived and wondered if there could be a way of establishing the world record.

What do you think?
  2. I swam a length and a half of an olympic sized swimming pool when I was 15, if that's any help
  3. The French are renowned for loving paperwork. I have a place there and know what a right pain filling in all of their forms is. That is the answer.
  4. I always carried a dit book, does that count?
  5. Divers have Dive Logs. Submariners don't.
  6. We had a gronk board on one boat I was on
  7. That's clear then. No way of checking. They guy has apparently over 5 years logged which seemed a lot to me but I guess we'll never know. Thanks for your replies anyway!
  8. Absolutely. Lived here nigh on 10 years now and it never ceases to amaze me.