Most hands on trade?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Harris921, Jan 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a fully qualified car mechanic, I do alot of engines, turbos, clutches, cambelts, head gaskets, and abit of diagnostic work. I enjoy the hands on practical side of the job, which RN trade offers the most hands on work and least amount of maths during phase two? Im not talking about the theory work, just straight maths. Im thinking ET ME but may have to consider doing my GCSE maths after work depending on how much maths plays apart in phase two.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

ET(ME) is probably the closest to what you currently do, but be warned you are not let loose with a multi million pound piece of kit and a spanner straight away.

If you score high enough in the Recruiting Test for that trade, you are considered intelectually capable of successfully completing technical trade training.

Good luck.
  3. if you then go on to phase 2 and find it to academicaly taxing can you then take a differnt trade that doesnt involve as much written work etc?
  4. If a person finds phase 2 to be too acadmically challenging The Navy will decide where a person is best suited and will give the individaul the options (if any) that are available to him.
  5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

ME is probably the most "hands on" trade, but as stated here on various threads, as a junior rate be prepared to clean, do "naval duties", and a whole lot of learning.
  6. Thought that an AET would be the most hands on?
  7. I would say (as a WE ), the most hands on would be Air Engineering. No frigging bilges in Helicopters mate.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Fair comment, but the initial post suggested that academics were not the individual's strong point - AET is indeed hands-on but it is also the longest & most academic phase two training course requiring the highest maths score.

Anyway, what's wrong with bilges? They're marvellous [​IMG]
  9. No contest! The most "hands on" trade is cookie boy!
    (or even "hands in")

10. Flunkey is the most hands on.
  11. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Hig, the guys talking about hands on kit and tools not clicky beds and suntan lotion. :lol:
  12. OOH ERR Hands on What??? :!: