Mosque to be built on World Trade Centre site.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by girthsmith, Aug 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Discuss! :evil:

2. A bit of an insensitive nettle to have to grasp, particularly since Osama is still at large and the Afghanistan and related AQ issue are far from being sorted but it was going to happen at some time given that the USA is, of course, the Land of the Free and a paragon of racial harmony owing to its huge multicultural mix and legendary standards of tolerance for ethnic minorities!!!!!

On a less cynical note - Muslims died in the 9/11 attacks as well as non-Muslims and for every Muslim extremist I am sure you will hundereds or thousands of moderate Muslims who just want to get on with their life in peace. I am pleased to say that I know a good number who despise radicals (of any faith or ethnic grouping) as much as I do

I sympathise with the relatives of victims and it is easy to say that they should not hate all Muslims for the murderous acts of a few extremists. It is also easy for me to say that building a mosque could be seen as a way of mending fences rather than exposing wounds but I was not personally affected by the attacks either in terms of losing loved ones or having to live in the affected community so my ability to be more impartial is not representative of many who were there or thereabouts at the time ... but the thread did ask for "discussion" so that's my two-penneth for what it's worth.

3. Its an actual news story. But ive not seen it published on many of our popular news sites.

4. This has been rumbling for months now so is only really a "CA" dit on the basis that planning objections to demolishing the building that could one day make way for the mosque have just been rejected clearing the way for it to happen. Sarah Palin has come out agin it!

A link on the general story follows http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10846716

5. This News 'broke' around last Dec.

Plenty of News reports (independent, Times, Gruniad, D Tel, BBC, Sky, etc) mostly listed here:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mo...7GPEA_en&redir_esc=&ei=_SxZTM6BJY780wTZ6aDlCA

(Oddly enough, there seems to have been no mention of it in the SUN 8O ) :wink:

6. STIX = Another SUN reader - Gotcher!! :twisted:

"OUTs are encouraged to read widely but wisely" :wink:

7. It won't happen,the rednecks and the Idaho militia will be stocking up on whatever to destroy it if they do.
    All those who now tolerate Obama just,will despise him if he allows it.
    As he wants re-election he won't risk it.
    If he does I see Hilary jumping on the Jewish/White Christian and Mexican,Cuban. Puerto Rica etc vote[which is very large] Obama may want it but it won't happen.

8. It will happen and it will happen quite quickly:-

New York Clears Ground Zero Mosque Plan

A New York City panel has cleared the way for construction of a mosque and Islamic community center near Ground Zero. On Tuesday, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission voted to deny landmark status to an old building on the grounds of the proposed site. The plan had come under opposition from right-wing groups, including the Anti-Defamation League. On Tuesday, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg praised the vote, calling it a victory for religious freedom.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg: "Let us not forget that Muslims were among those murdered on 9/11 and that our Muslim neighbors grieved with us as New Yorkers and as Americans. We would betray our values—and play into our enemies’ hands—if we were to treat Muslims differently than anyone else."

9. As it is in the USA a place that I would not visit again if you paid me, I could not give a toss where they build mosques.

10. You are missing the point Papal,it's not that they can't have a Mosque it's where they have a Mosque that grinds with some people.
    Whether it's a justifiable gripe I have no idea and,like another poster, I don't really care.

11. Seafarer - I noted that aspect, but being as Michael Bloomberg and most New Yorkers seem to approve of the project, I dismissed the Red-Neck noise machine who are simply stirring shite for Bazza O'Bazzarama.

I thought Bloomberg's words were quite good and appropriate.

12. As with previous two posters...
    Jimmy crack corn.... I don't feckin' care. :roll:

13. They`ll never get insurance

14. It's up to the Muslim community in New York.

If the City prevented a mosque being built, it would be wrong. However, this does not mean that the Muslims have to build a mosque at Ground Zero. If they do, they will be showing little thought to their fellow New Yorkers. Yes, the majority of Muslims are not jihadists, but they should be aware of sensitivities.

15. I've got family in NYC who were there on Sept. 11 and for them it's a very emotional issue. I think allowing it to be built is the right thing to do, but only time will tell whether it will be a good thing or not. The sponsors are saying all the right things right now, but we'll all have to wait and see what they actually do.

16. Why don't you discuss. Dumping something on here without your own thought and the one word 'Discuss' is just Spam.

17. Another quick point, shouldn't the title be ' near world trade centre site ' as its round the corner from the actual site itself :?

18. Where have you been Yankee Matelot?

What are you doing in Hawaii? Not searching for Bazza O'Bazzarama's birth certificate perchance :roll:

Good to see you back.

19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I suppose there's a bit of space in that part of town, saves knocking anything down to make room.

20. Just thought I had better correct your obvious mistake doc.