Mortality Rates of Submariners 1960-1989

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Redsailor, Aug 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Hit the above link which makes interesting reading after you get past the goobledegook. Seems an awful lot of time and effort to find out that one of the common causes of us popping our clogs are alcohol based lol.

Red Sailor
  2. So no more happy hour for you and your oppos in the Friday bar at the Adelphi? :salut: :w00t: :thumright:
  3. For a horrible moment I thought it said morality.Phew :thumright:
  4. It was interesting that the liver cirrhosis mortality exceeded total deaths from cancer. I should also have expected cancer morbidity to be greater for those working in nuclear boats.

Briefly digressing, on PubMed I found that the last epidemic of plague in Britain (outside Porton :roll: ) was in 1911. One of the victims (of bubonic plague) was a naval rating......
  5. Wouldn't have been a show without Jack eh? Seriously, I was amazed that we still had bubonic plague as late as the early 20th century.

Red Sailor
  6. Morality and sailors, c'mon that's stretching the imagination a bit..... :thumright:
  7. That Hoolie bar has a lot to answer for in Faslane I tell you !!!

Plus I noticed it was only in England and Wales ?????????
  8. Why would cancer rates be higher amongst those working on nuclear boats? They don't leak - one could argue they are safer than diesel-electric engines from a pollution point of view.

I don't have the exact figures to hand, but I'd be willing to suggest the background radiation level is higher in Cornwall (with all the granite deposits) than in a nuclear boat.
  9. I don't think it's anything "medical" it's more of the old the Navy adds 10 yrs to your life but Submarines adds more adage, wear and tear, the stress factors, alcohol etc...(highest divorce rates) :hockey:
  10. Beat me to it AD. :thanks:
  11. If you consider a watch with a luminous dial upset the background readings for radiation, nuclear boats were safer than alot of places in the UK, ot just cornwall. The only people who did getadose so to speak were those who did reactor compartment entry, and that was very carefully monitored, and they got no more than some one operating the x-ray machine at the local hospital.
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

The Australians have done a comprehensive survey on living and health conditions on their O boats, if I get a chance later I'll try and find it and add a link
  13. Well humans have different radiation thresholds anyway. I can still remember holding the gamma ray source (in it's little lead block) with my fingers and securing it in the clamp 100cm from the beta window to calibrate our radiation meters in civil defence. When I was at school you could buy Uranium oxide to make into a stunning glaze for pottery. I always dipped my pots in by hand. I'm still alive after 32 years and still have my right hand! :lol:

If only they could train snails to do dangerous reactor work.... whereas humans suffer from radiation sickness after 400-600 Rt, some snails can cope, unaffected, with 20,000 Rt! o_O

Now what would happen if you created a snail-submariner chimera, I wonder? ;)

14. The work would get done quicker!! (I am a serving submariner so no rants)
  15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

The LINKY