Morse Code - Speed

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Skanza, Nov 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know here what the speed requirement to understand morse code is in the Royal Navy?

As far as I know you will have to learn it at the BRNC, so I figured I'd do some homework...

2. I should think it is still only used in visual signalling now, and you only need up to 10 WPM for that. I think it was a requirement for officers for their bridge watchkeeping ticket but that just guessing really as I never came across an officer that could read a light anyway.
  3. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Morse Code is virtually obsolete now. The only branch that had a need for it was Communications Technician and even that is no longer taught to baby CT's and fleet standard has dropped over the years from 30 to 25 to 18 to what is now the standard required to keep current which is 14wpm and 18wpm for numbers.

Skanza, don't bother trying to teach yourself-it'll be taught to you.

Concentrate on other things if you're going to be a commissioned pilot with a green lid..........
  4. ../ ._ _ _/ ..._ . ._. _._ _ / ... ._.. _ _ _ ._ _ /
  5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

VS is not taught at BRNC anymore.
  6. the_matelot

Depends how fast you knock it out though....
  7. Thanks for the responses! Guys! :)

Hehe course. I'm starting a proper fitness program from today on. Hopefully it will keep my in a steady routine throughout the year.
  8. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Not to mention the V/S Adqual, sorry TEM, that OM(C)s may have been required to undertake. The speeds you've given are for audio morse rather than light which is a tad slower at, I think, 8wpm or 10wpm max.

With the move of tactical comms to the dabbers, however, I'm not sure how much V/S will continue (its certainly far less important today than when I were a baby bunting!

Agreed, unless you've got the spare time to teach yourself. If you're seriously looking at the flying side, I think Morse may also be needed so again, it could stand you in good stead but I wouldn't waste too much time on it.
  9. the_matelot

Morse runs in my family....

My dad did it.

I'll get me coat........
  10. I expected better matey, branches and all that!
  11. Don't say that, please... :( Morse code is very useful when you have a very weak radio carrier signal which cannot reliably carry a voice message but can be relied upon to carry and accurately relay an MC message! I'm thinking particularly of trying to relay a signal during a bad thunderstorm in the ROC...
  12. the_matelot

It was declared as an obsolete form of communications in 2002 by the ITU. I had to endure SEVERAL months of doing it however.... :(

If there are any budding morse monkeys who want to learn morse code, may I suggest googling MRX software....

I do apologise for my gash joke. I can but only apologise and put it down to a dose of high morale..... :D
  13. As an ex CRS I can honestly say I used to enjoy morse and loved being on a live circuit.

I still have an old MRX cassette somewhere in the house, a 22 wpm one at that. Sad or what?

I still find it funny when watching a film on the TV and morse is sent and then the actors say a complete load of bollox and nothing like that which was actually transmitted. :)

Gash joke: She was only the Chief Sparkers daughter, but she did it, did it and did it.

I've got more dits than a rampant morse key ;-)
  14. Obsolete?! Ooooh, they'll come to regret that one day! At the very least you need Morse for flashing a message using your torch down the valley to those ahead of you on a walk to order lunch and get the beer... :lol: Mobiles don't work well in the Welsh valleys!
  15. Sad? I hope not :wink: :lol: You don't want to get the reputation of being an oddball too! :lol: :lol:
  16. Bah I'm still gonna learn myself it ;)

I head the Koch Method is the best. :)
  17. Well just learn with an inexpensive morse key. Avoid the much easier to use paddle switches (OK until you develop RSI that is) as mine cost me £120 some 10 years ago!
  18. Well i downloaded a program, my uncle recommended. He is an amateur radio junkie.
  19. Flipping wannabe sparkers, the lot of ya. :)
  20. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Some people have just got no ambition! :)