Mornington Cresent

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by TimeToJoinUp, Apr 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fancy playing Mornington Cresent?

We can use the old Tudor ruleset, except that we'll rule out all the outdated and needlessly complicated Half-windsor subset of special rules and replace them with the following: Treat all double courts as wildcards, players can never be put into a spoon, and - of course - consider both Finchley Central and Loughton as nontraversable.

Anyone care to start us off?

2. Shepherd's Bush.

3. Cockfosters

4. As it's a weekend and Cockfosters allows for a wide berth, I've got to go for Piccadilly Circus to allow for the reach-around in the park further down the line.

5. That's an interesting move. I generally try to avoid the reach around at all costs, but I guess it's an integral part of some people's game plan.

You've left me with little choice but to pull a double shunt on the central and hop off at elephant and castle.

6. ..Why the newbies section? Elitisim?

7. As I'm in Glasgow, I will have to go with

Ibrox

(Caledonian MacBrayne rules, as revised in 1941 to allow for fuel rationing)

8. If Glasgow is included :? "Buchanan Street"

If not "London Bridge" :D

9. Alas, we're playing Tudor Rules and I'm fairly sure that Buchanan Street would indeed be a bit Celtic and Holmes second edition of the rules would flag this up as poor decorum. In a mercurial fashion, I'll therefore utilise the Maynard-Beaumont filibuster on London Bridge; I observe the earlier double shunt on the central line (BZ for an early in the game class classic there!) and being that that the colour of that line is red and passes Lancaster Gate, I can follow the the fair NNW wind through the red light district leaving me with something to chase the ferret up at Angel (Islington) and just for good measure (to play it safe) get out at Fratton.

P.S. This is in the newbie section because we're using newbie rules?

10. ARSENAL and RAIL ANCHOR applied. As Tudor rules are in force the next player must throw a double 6 to continue.

11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

NZB: Arsenal is in clear violation of Stovald's Original Interceptions, which only permits offsides only on odd days when all stations are wild. Therefore I am applying Rutherfords Inconsequential Second Law here, because stopping at Leicester Square would normally mean 3 open diagonals. However, under a Beecham Ban, this cannot hold true, so I will have to double sweep to:

High St. Kensington.

12. Due to Lash Monster simplifying the rules,
    and Sgtpepperband simplifying the simplified,
    I’m now stuck in the one way section
    of the Balls Pond road.

Consequently, I’m waiting for someone to throw
    Snake Eyes so that I can use my Buss Pass.

Jerry

13. I came out of Liverpool St Station with my mate, Colonel Mustard, we took a little metal car round to Mayfair where we had a liaison in a Red Hotel with a 'Miss Scarlett', not her real name of course. Unfortunately, we were caught in Pall Mall by the vice squad and sent directly to prison. Luckily, I took a chance and we used a get out of jail free card. By the time we got home to my place in Mornington Crescent, we were knackered. Still, up bright and early tomorrow, as we're off for a Malta Dog shoot.

14. Mornington Crescent !!

I win

Game over!

Back over to pprune for a proper game!

15. shame on you ...

16. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I'm sat here with my 1952 A-Z and can only deduce that either a) you just cheated or b) you're thick as feck and don't understand the rules. There is no way you can get to Mornington Crescent from there.

So, a resumption of the game under Naismit's gambit gives me Cannon Street and fairly back on the circle line.

17. sgtpepperband

Ah I see, if this is the third play after Rutherford's Inconsequential 2nd, then I have to take into account the Diadem Trellis observational flange but I am not affected by your vague attempt to invoke Beechams. Stovald is unclear here (Ref: STVD XII v3.35 1872 Edition: Verner's addendum (p.443)

Anyway, Victoria via Embankment... :thumright:

18. And from there, I can just reach Down Street.

Hah!!!

19. sgtpepperband

Down Street ain't a Tube Station, Cap'n... :oops:

20. Mornington Crescent has been temporarily relocated to a secret location, in view of a threat by Welsh Nationalists to take it to Cardiff to adorn the garden of Sam the Man. In view of this sensible application of the precationary principle, Sam the Man Dicosta cannot have accosted, traversed or even circumnavigated Morning Crescent.

Carry on lads..... :biggrin: