More RNR fuckwittery

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by 2_deck_dash, Sep 4, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Job jobbed - turns out gobbing off on the internet is the way to get shit done.

Thanks to all who have helped with this. You know who you are.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Why are you still in the RNR? I mean, seriously? Don't you have plastic bags to sh*t in and stuff?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Job Jobbed.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I'm waiting for this engineering branch to materialise apparently. If I'm honest it's what I really want to do, whether they actually get their shit in order and work out a way of letting me join the branch remains to be seen.

Just to reiterate, I'm currently doing a BEng and I am a senior systems engineer in the nuclear industry, it's not like I don't know my shit.

Looking at various other options currently, RMR, 4 Para and 23 are all potential goers and I've been in touch with each.

HAC isn't gonna happen, I tried to work out the logistics but the reality of living 300 miles from my unit soon hit home. It just won't work. As pointed out above, being in a unit like that is a big commitment, I can't be doing London to Cumbria every weekend.
  5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I read that the new RNR E branch will take you on in the rate you left. WTF? A lot of chaps -and doubtless chapesses- advance professionally at the speed of sound when they leave the RN. An extreme example, not followed through:

STCW Class 1 CoC, doctorate and chartered engineer but left as a killick 15 years before.

Welcome back hooky!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Another of ATG's complete and utter cockwomble of a post... he must have been bullied at school !
  7. No it's a fair question. I told him a while back that I was rejoining my old TA unit.

Shitting into plastic bags does take up a fair bit of time in that particular mob.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. No it doesn't.
  9. Seadog

That's why you keep it in a poly bag!
  10. I'm currently in the process of seamlessly transferring, I say in the process, but after my initial application I haven't heard much since the initial exchange of emails back in march despite regularly enquiring. I did read somewhere that I'll receive an offer during my final month so fingers crossed it all goes well.

The thing is, and maybe ninja could confirm, but I've been told by the PO Wtr dealing with my application and also a WO Nurse (of all people) that the RNR is looking at the prospect of having a Chef's branch. Now I've not seen any DIN, RNTM etc to confirm this but it would be great to remain in my original branch. Anyone heard of any similar buzzes? It would make sense seeing as, at killick level, the chef's branch is at death's door.

I've been told to wait and see what the RNR are prepared to offer.
  11. I'd **** it off.

Why not try 101 RA, 102 REME or the QOY?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Is that supposed to be a morale boost for the RNR? Give the lads something proper to drip about! :D
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I feel like all the shit I went through to get in, I should at least give it a shot. Also I can't be arsed going through the massive hassle of joining the Armed Forces for the 4th time.

Gonna give the Engineering branch until next financial year to sort their shit out, if nothing is forthcoming by then, I will be looking at one of the options above.

If I stay until April then I think I'm due my VRSM. Sweet.
  14. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Have you thought about applying to get your minibus drivers licence?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Seadog

With outrage bus endorsement.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. I think you've have met the RN and RNR at a bad point, plus the usual RNR fuckwittery associated with training.

The engineering JR 'solution', alongside the limitations at MWS, means (I think) that any kind of spare capacity has disappeared out of the situation. Add in a organisation that couldn't have a piss-up in a brewery, and I suspect we get the situation you have described.
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The seamless transfer is an "in service" scheme that simply involves filling out a form (L005) and submitting it to the POWTR. Your discharge medical counts as your joining medical, your SC remains valid and that's about it, you're in.

As long as you do this before you are in your last couple of months & you've had email acknowledgement, you can then contact your local RNR unit with your current ID card in your mitts & crack-on.

If you haven't filled out the form before commencing terminal leave or haven't had confirmation of receipt, then it's a whole different ball game & you have to be processed by your AFCO, which is much a pain for your AFCO as it is for the individual, unfortunately.

With regard a RNR Chef branch - heard rumour, but seen nothing official yet. It certainly makes sense with the potential to create FTRS posts for marinised civilian Chefs.

The RNR engineering branch seems only applicable to RN trained Engineering Technicians with "hands on" experience rather than civilian qualified "hands on" engineers. The logic is presumably due to the fact the RNR doesn't currently have the capacity to "marinise" civilian equivalents, bearing in mind it takes the RNR 5 years or more to produce a CIS on the trained strength. That said, with the introduction of the Direct Entry POET(ME), or DEPOT, in the regular service, perhaps there's scope for a parallel RNR scheme.

The problem I believe the RNR has is that until they have SME's in the relevant field, they cannot establish a training pipeline for accredited civilian equivalents. The Army Reserves, on the other hand, can relatively rapidly churn out deployable infantrymen.

By comparison, the RMR take about 14 months to produce a RMR Commando - who, whilst deployable within a regular service unit, is still not able to join the regular service in a trained capacity without undergoing RM Recruit Training ....from scratch.
  18. 2DD
    If you are happy, can you PM me, I will then make a few enquiries. I know of a CIS JR who tx to engineering branch last week!

Olii - chefs are happening. What unit will u be close to?
  19. The closest unit to me is President.

It'll be interesting to see how they use the chef branch. It really needs to be a sea going role that supplements the regulars in order to give the lads a bit of balance in their careers.

Using them to take up shore billets is not going to help anyone, I'd have thought.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Perhaps there is a very good reason why the RNR has never had an Engineering branch;)