Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More help for a newbie please- Branch choices/ recruitment?

DaveyMcB

Midshipman
As some of your may have gathered I am aiming to become a MCD. I haven't officially started the recruitment process yet but I have a fair idea of what's involved- however, I still have a couple of brief questions, so if anyone could spare a minute I'd be more than grateful!

1. From what I gather the Diving acquaint is a very hard course and not everyone makes it. Whilst I am an optimist I also want to be prepared for the worse...if I fail the acquaint, am I allowed to have a second choice of branch ('If I fail Diver I'll go Warfare,' for instance)? Is so, would you have to sit the whole recruitment process again or do you simply carry on from your failed PEDA straight away, but with your secondary choice? If I failed PEDA I'd definitely want to go General Seaman or Warfare.

2. ROUGHLY how long is it, on average, from first walking in to the AFCO to receiving your joining up date? Weeks, months etc? How much notice are you given as to your start date?

3. Finally, can you postpone your joining date after completing the recruitment process? I've just signed on for a 6-month contract with work which means I won't be able to start basic until Feb, but I want to get recruitment over and done with ASAP- can I do this?

Sorry there is so much here but I just want to get it all clear in my head- thanks!

IB08

Lantern Swinger
I think its at least 10 months from AFCO to basic minimum for most branches, MCD included. If I were you Id get down to my AFCO ASAP. Take me for example, I first walked into my AFCO in January and now have only just received my AIB date for the 15th September, and theres no guarantee Ill get selected for BRNC even after passing that! I realise that officers and ratings have slightly different waiting times, but seriously, get down to your AFCO. You dont want to be waiting too long after your contract runs out I take it?
In answer to your branch q, you initally have to put two choices of job on your application forms for that specific reason. Yes you can postpone your entry date for a valid reason such as giving sufficient notice to your employer/honoouring a contract.
Lastly, good luck mate, hope it all goes well for you!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Government proposals to help more people in problem debt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than half a billion pounds to help people return home from hospital MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New funding to double nursing apprentices and help deliver 50,000 more nurses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government invests £10 million to help make future technologies more secure MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Benefit claimants to get more cash to help with funeral costs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid to help vaccinate more than 400 million children a year against polio MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More funding to help crack down on criminal landlords MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to shared ownership to help more people get on the property ladder MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £6.8 million boost to help thousands more rail commuters travel by bike MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: More than 380,000 people in Gaza will receive live-saving medical treatment with help from UK aid MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: More support to help employers offer T Level industry placements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Businesses urged to do more to help improve society MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: More funding to help town centres and high streets thrive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government and top sports bodies to help children play more sport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: More than 400,000 first time buyers step onto the housing ladder with Help to Buy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Independent report says the capital’s local authorities could do more to help... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New UK funding to help build stronger and more democratic nations in the... MoD News 0
Stirlin Ex service personnel to get more help in prison. The Quarterdeck 22
soleil BBC: "Armed Forces Veterans: Call For More Help" The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 4
Good CO New company pledges more support to help ex-service personnel start up in business Finance & Pensions 0
C ex killick needs more help Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 21
B more help required - tv programme related History 12
Rum-dooer Help!............yet more medical worries Health & Fitness 14
MoD_RSS Severe flood warnings issued in parts of Greater Manchester as Storm Christoph brings more rain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 4 million people receive first dose of COVID-19 vaccine in UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government helps more than 57,000 businesses in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government helps more than 90,000 businesses in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than a third of over 80s vaccinated against COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hundreds of thousands more laptops to support disadvantaged pupils learn at home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 2.2 million people in UK receive first dose of COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 1
MoD_RSS More than 8,000 new businesses launched by jobseekers in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government reforms intimidation scheme to relocate more Afghan staff under threat MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Targeted community testing extended to 10 more areas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Targeted community testing extended to 17 more areas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The PCA publishes more arbitration awards and introduces award summaries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace reaching more than 92% of contacts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Police to receive more than £15 billion to fight crime and recruit more officers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 137,000 people in UK receive first dose of COVID vaccine in one week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New plans set out to transform procurement, providing more value for money and benefitting small business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nine more Nightingale courtrooms to be delivered MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than £165 million in repayable finance announced to support major arts and heritage institutions as Culture Fund marks £1 billion milestone MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New NHS Test and Trace plan to support return to more normal way of life MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 10,000 consent applications for financial remedy processed on MyHMCTS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS JETS fuels support for more than 40,000 jobseekers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than one million cases reached by NHS Test and Trace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More funding to support people with disabilities live independently MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Three more courtrooms at Ministry of Justice HQ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New competition regime for tech giants to give consumers more choice and control over their data, and ensure businesses are fairly treated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Record numbers of doctors and 14,813 more nurses working in the NHS MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £10 billion package to build more homes and level up communities MoD News 0