more funding for MOD housing....not if your in jockland.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by wet_blobby, Nov 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Saw this on Arrse and as the report is more about Naval accom I thought I'd post it here.

Seems Liebour talk about increasing funding whilst actually cutting back.....shock.......and isn't some headshed wrens hubby incharge of forces accom now?
  2. What an absolute disgrace.

Ive been out to the new and very smart barracks at Glencourse (just outside of Edinburgh). They are amazing and were probably long overdue, but if there is so much of a shortage of funding, why not take the huge amount that the "knock down and re-build" project costs and divide that up between various locations to give them all a facelift?

The last thing any service wife needs is worry about shite accomodation and all the troubles that come with it, when there other half is serving on Operations.

Fcking barsteward government!!
  3. Because it doesn't go very far.

I've done some work on a similar question for a large client that has quite a lot of existing estate in need of modernisation. The available money for refurbishment wouldn't have done lot, and essentially the buildings would have needed ripped down and replaced in a few years anyway. One location did just go for a refurb and they've cost more, and not delivered as much, as other locations.

I appreciate that it might sounds counterintuitive, a lot of it is economies of scale, and not going through the very invasive process of refurbishing without compromising structural integrity etc.

In any case the SLAM investment and the SFA funding come from different option lines, I'm not sure there is an initiative to replace SFA in the same way, although someone else might have more insight into that.

With respect to the report at the link, I'm skeptical of any official response which has to rely on a customer satisfaction survey.