More Defence cuts ?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by chieftiff, Oct 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

There's an interesting article in today's Times online which I thought I would share, to be honest this worries me not least because Mick Smith is rarely wrong and his information is normally very reliable:

"The RAF is to lose a quarter of its frontline bomber force and two bases in new cuts to be pushed through by the Treasury, according to senior defence sources.

Two squadrons of Tornado GR4 ground attack aircraft will be scrapped, cutting the RAF’s frontline squadrons from eight to six. One helicopter base and one training base will also be closed, with the land sold off to raise cash.

The move comes as the Royal Navy is braced for big cuts to its surface fleet with all four Type22 frigates and a destroyer set to be axed “as soon as possibleâ€. Other ships are under threat."

Article here: Linky thing

It does also raise some questions about this admittedly uncited article in the Telegraph: Gordon Brown 'will back air strikes on Iran'
  2. This is all cleverly done. The Treasury turns the money tap off and the Front Line Commands are "invited" to find savings. The Treasure doesn't actually make the savings.

Dannatt has probably made the Army fireproof and even a Government as stupid or malicious (or both) as this one must realise that the Army is essential to Ops in both sandpits and whatever is being plotted for Darfur. Messrs Band and Torpy appear to have been cornered into a "good future for painful sacrifices now" deal. I wonder if either of them are considering the resignation option?
  3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

As I mentioned on another thread, when a 1SL did resign (Admiral Luce), nobody paid a blind bit of notice and it had no effect whatsoever. Any such threat now would be met with 'Ok, off you go, hand in your id card on the way out'.
  4. I sincerely doubt Band will resign. He seemed to do a quick u turn last time something like this came out saying he'd been misquoted. I think we need someone like Gen Dannatt to represent the RN. He seems to have the balls for an argument.
  5. IIRC, when Luce resigned, all RN vessels were ordered to their nearest Naval port for a conference with the C-in-C. (We got pulled out of a jolly in Milford Haven and went to Guzz.) At the time, there was much talk of mass-resignations by various admirals, and ship's COs, but Luce expressly forbade this, saying only he would quit, so nothing happened. I doubt very much of such a protest would've achieved much - just provide command billets for a lot of people earlier than was due.
  6. Sadly the coffers are not bottomless and when it comes to prioritising it appears that the Andrew is top of the list for cuts, which I find understandable.
  7. But have no fear, oh ye of little faith. Bob Ainsworth has assured us, that in ten years time, we will have one of the most powerful navies in the world!

Semper Strenuissima
  8. I'm pretty terrible with my politics and my current affair topics, so excuse this blunderous question.
    They are cutting all these things from the Navy/RAF yes? So where/what does the money that the Government 'Save' go towards?
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

ToeJam's impending massive compensation claim... :roll: :lol:
  10. 1. 140 new MASTIF vehicles for the ARMY.
    2. £140 rebate to all service men in Iraq/Afghan.
    3. Force Protection (60 Breeze blocks arranged around each individuals (5250) bed spaces with a steel plate and 2 layers of sandbags in a plastic wrap topped off with a nice wooden top. A make shift coffin if you will).

Thats where the money appears to be going.
  11. CWNG - that is just the start of it - there is also the huge drain on stores from current ops, the whole of viking support, £60M on SLA, and CVF is costing the RN an arm and a leg, as is the T45 project. Once you take the nuclear safety costs and the manpower costs out of the RN's budget there aint a lot to play with so we're fukt

12. :roll:
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Cheers, bullet! :thumbright:

[Good use of the :roll: emoticon too... hypocrite!]

14. :roll: and so on..........