More Defence Cuts?

War Hero
Although not on the same scale cost-wise we could reasonably say what was the use of the Field Gun and Mast Manning at the Royal Tournament.

Karma said:
Although not on the same scale cost-wise we could reasonably say what was the use of the Field Gun and Mast Manning at the Royal Tournament.

They were the ONLY reason I went to the Royal Tournament... oh and the window ladder display, but only when the RN did it :lol:

War Hero
benjymo said:
Exactly and where is the Royal tournament now!

Whoosh

*note to self, avoid subtlety*

The point there is that the whole Royal Tournament went, so there was no justification for an independent existence of the individual events within it to continue. However the value as a recruiting tool was immense.

Without getting into a long and tedious staff course diatribe, the services in general need to have a profile with the sponsors. Those sponsors who would much rather see government buying more and more hospitals that can stand empty because of staff shortages than more and more defense when we're involved in unpopular and poorly understood conflicts. The same sponsors that sign off consent forms for our recruits coming through the gate at Raleigh, a stream of people we couldn't survive without.

The Red Arrows may not have a military purpose as such, but they keep the RAF in the public eye in a reasonably benign way. A very expensive way of doing it, but it manages. I'm not sure what the return on investment might actually be, but the crabs in general seem to think it is worth it, and in a way I'd agree. the more we distance ourselves from the sponsors the less likely we are to actually get the money out of Treasury that we need to continue doing the job.

In comparison the RN has an annual Brickwoods competition at Collingwood and a presentation team who speak to WI meetings around the country. And Loose Page..........

stumpy

War Hero
Personally I think that the Field Gun did have an affect upon operational efficiency, as when they left their three month stint (and only once every three years) they returned to their ships, fitter than before. I would have loved to have had a couple of Field Gunners in my section base.

But with regard tothe Red Arrows, yes it would be sad to see them go, but I would rather see them go than operational units such as the Type 23s. And don't get me started on the Army's hundreds of horses used for ceremonial etc etc. How much does all that cost? And scrapping them could generate money as the horses could be sold for dog food... :twisted: (Only joking! Of course they should be pensioned off to live in nice retirment paddoks with better accom than most service people...)

copenhagencup

Lantern Swinger
Karma said:
benjymo said:
Exactly and where is the Royal tournament now!

Whoosh

*note to self, avoid subtlety*

The point there is that the whole Royal Tournament went, so there was no justification for an independent existence of the individual events within it to continue. However the value as a recruiting tool was immense.

Without getting into a long and tedious staff course diatribe, the services in general need to have a profile with the sponsors. Those sponsors who would much rather see government buying more and more hospitals that can stand empty because of staff shortages than more and more defense when we're involved in unpopular and poorly understood conflicts. The same sponsors that sign off consent forms for our recruits coming through the gate at Raleigh, a stream of people we couldn't survive without.

The Red Arrows may not have a military purpose as such, but they keep the RAF in the public eye in a reasonably benign way. A very expensive way of doing it, but it manages. I'm not sure what the return on investment might actually be, but the crabs in general seem to think it is worth it, and in a way I'd agree. the more we distance ourselves from the sponsors the less likely we are to actually get the money out of Treasury that we need to continue doing the job.

In comparison the RN has an annual Brickwoods competition at Collingwood and a presentation team who speak to WI meetings around the country. And Loose Page..........
Absolute crap Karma
Field gun has gone the rest remains.
Kings troop RHA
Queens colour squadron RAF Reg
Police dog display teams
Countless F*cking bands
Loads of mounted shite with no relevance to the modern day battlefield.

Having been there in person 5 times and having the greatest leadership course available to RN ratings it taught me about myself and the limits of others and how to maximise the synergy of a team.

At the end of the day it was unsustainable for 2 reasons.

1. With the reduction in manpower the loss of circa 180 good blokes is unsustainable. for 5 months a year.

2. Officers could not run thus most did not care and it is they who make the decisions stand fast those who did care

It is indicative of service cuts today as with early 1990`s redudancies the RN made significant cuts the other 2 services paid lip service.

Why are 22500 sqaddies still in Germany, no threat there.

What do the RAF actually do that makes us proud, 1940 was 67 years ago lets move on and get some value for money out of them.

copenhagencup

Lantern Swinger
clanky said:
IIRC the manpower bill for the FGT was equivalent to manning a T22/42 for a year.
Well there are another 6 tied up to the wall what are we waiting for lets book Earls Court for the last 3 weeks in July

onions

GCM
I see that the Rd Arrows budget has been increased by another half million
pounds to 5.6 mill. One MP said that "It is conceivable (there's that word again) that they should be axed". Their future location is also being considered. Cardiff airport maybe?

Keep Striving.