MONMOUTH drug bust

Taztiff

War Hero
Hmmm... he wasn't previously a POWEM(R) on the Active was he?
Because that sounds awfully familiar...

Not sure, it was 30 years ago and my brain cells are a bit addled. I can picture him like it was yesterday but can't remember his name!!
He used to be frequently seen hitchhiking from Guz to Pompy, stood on the side of the A38 in an old RAF greatcoat. With his straggly beard he looked like a cross between Catweasel and a tramp!

Ballistic

War Hero
He used to be frequently seen hitchhiking from Guz to Pompy, stood on the side of the A38 in an old RAF greatcoat. With his straggly beard he looked like a cross between Catweasel and a tramp!
As that may have involved some walking it can't be same bloke - the guy I'm thinking of was far too lazy for that :D

Seadog

War Hero
The problem with coverage is that drugs busts are two a penny in the middle east by CMF ships and its hardto persuade media to spend airtime on it - this is said as someone who has done press releases in this area.

I agree it is disheartening for the crew not to get media notice, but short of putting a gun to the head of editors, persuading them to run an RN 'ship does good but nothing drakatic or exciting happened' story is bloody difficult if not impossible

Were I to be involved in a ( especially ) Caribbean drug bust, confiscating the property of a Mexican or Colombian Capo who arranges long slow deaths for those who disrupt his business, I'd want Hereford Sunglasses and an alias in any photographs and films of me smiling and thumbing up Lyndy England style, over confiscated bails of coke, some bedraggled mules and a burning go-fast in the background. Just in case.

"...thumbing up Lyndy England..." sounds a bit rude.

Taztiff

War Hero
Were I to be involved in a ( especially ) Caribbean drug bust, confiscating the property of a Mexican or Colombian Capo who arranges long slow deaths for those who disrupt his business, I'd want Hereford Sunglasses and an alias in any photographs and films of me smiling and thumbing up Lyndy England style, over confiscated bails of coke, some bedraggled mules and a burning go-fast in the background. Just in case.

"...thumbing up Lyndy England..." sounds a bit rude.

Don't have to show close ups of the lads / lasses - which they did:confused: - but a few more general news items to show that the RN are doing things - albeit indirectly - to help stem the coffers of various terrorist groups.
@Dapperdum could do a special piece on how many baked beans and sausages it takes on average to seize 1kg of Coke during a deployment.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Don't have to show close ups of the lads / lasses - which they did:confused: - but a few more general news items to show that the RN are doing things - albeit indirectly - to help stem the coffers of various terrorist groups.
@Dapperdum could do a special piece on how many baked beans and sausages it takes on average to seize 1kg of Coke during a deployment.
As many as you could fit into an Olympic size swimming pool:)