money for sea time!!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by werqpr, Sep 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it true you get a daliy allonce for being at sea? I've heard you get something like £5 extra for every day your away. Also do you have to pay to wash ya kit whilst at sea? and do you have to pay for your grubb aswell?

2. Not sure about about nowadays so I'm sure someone will fill in the correct up to date details

However when I was in which wasn't that long ago compared to some lol On the bigger ships with the laundry service on board we had dhoby bills to pay for our laundry being washed on board

One the smaller ship we did it our selves so no laundry bill

You did get paid more being on board ship little extra as well as not having to pay food and accommodation as well so pay packets were far better than being ashore

I'm sure it's not much different now

3. Are you GS or SM?

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

7. I think its now called LSSA,you get it once you have been away for 10 days IIRC

8. These days LSSB has gone. This was the allowance that did not take into account whether you were at sea or not. You simply got it if you were serving on a ship.

These days you are paid an allowance called LSA which is paid for each night that you spend at sea. The daily rate is calculated on the actual days you've spent at sea in your career and varies from about £5 for a rouge upto about £20 for an old boy.

You do not have to pay for food and accom at sea, however once the ship is alongside you are charged for food, relatively new scheme which has not gone down too well!

Dhobying is the same as it ever was, you are given an allowance for service items, a little more if you do certain dirty jobs or are in tropical climates. Other than that, dhoby bills still exist.

Hope that helps.

9. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Do you actually mean that having joined the Royal NAVY you get paid extra for going to sea?? Our lot dipped out again.

10. You should know by now Granny, you never dip out in the mob, you just never dip in sometimes :lol:

11. That is true no one ever dips out some dip in more than others lol

12. Br grateful Granny they didn't deduct pay for cruising abroad whilst your poor oppos in barracks were reduced to runs ashore in Guzz and Pompey. Your reward were all those free suntans and didn't pusser throw in your cruising hot weather gear free? ;)

14. On a ship its from day 1 or at least it was.

15. Well i was getting it in 2007 for being at sea for a week. I know when ive been on exercise with royal we didnt get it. But deffinatly did at sea.

16. At sea you do get it from day one, either that or I owe the Navy a whole lot of cash!!

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Those that want to gain an insight into the full allowances available may wish to dowload JSP 752 Tri-Service Regulations for Allowances.

Pop into your UPO in the late afternoon, remembering to shout loudly whilst brandishing a high-lighted relevant section - they're always happy to answer queries, providing they aren't closed for Part IV Task Book training. :wink:

18. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I suppose that I should count LOA that we got when abroad.

19. What ever you get don't tell the missus :wink: