Money at BRNC

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by buggerit84, Sep 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this has been mentioned in another thread, but I haven't been able to find one!

Roughly what would your financial outgoings at BRNC be? I've just been thinking that (hopefully) going in as non-graduate I'll be taking a 1k a year pay cut whilst at BRNC compared to what I earn now, but thinking that I'll be paying less out so it'll even up.

Is this right or am I deluding myself? Bear in mind I live in Edinburgh!

2. you wont need any money at all :thumright: Just put it all on Potential Officers Mess chit Number :money: :thumright:

3. Scouse, too late, some funny monkey had already done that! Over £300 Mess Bill! And we can't even put Beer costs on that yet! Where does it go?

4. Expect to pay around £100 per month for Mess subs, laundry and biscuits at stand to (Remind mini Adolf of that in the JGR - she loves giving you loads of biscuits).

In First phase you'll probably want money for any nutty you might want - there are extra points for smuggling choccy bars and haribo on ABLE - I stashed a couple of 750g bars of choccy on mine.

You'll also need subs for the Divex in week 3/4 for your night out - paying for an evening mean and beer.

You don't get access to the Pavillion bar until the end of week 3 (so long as you pass rounds) so beer tokens aren't all that neccessary.

By that time you should get a flavour for how much you are spending.

TOP TIP - draw cash out in the elearning centre - it's free. The cashpoint in the Naafi charges.

Lefty

5. Thanks guys, sound like I should be alright then. Even when we do get access to the bar and military prices have gone up, anywhere's cheaper than Edinburgh!

Scouse, can you PM me PO's chit number please? :thumright:

6. Oh yes, and don't forget that once you're allowed out of an evening, whilst you're still in the Junior Gun Room you'll be buying quite a few meals in the town to avoid eating in the Junior Gun Room.

There's more than enough in the pay packet whilst your at BRNC (quite where some of it goes I'm not sure).

7. I went to boarding school for 10 years, I'll probably be able to cope with the food! Butthanks for the tip