Monday Rant

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by rod-gearing, Sep 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it just me as Im really getting hacked off with the tv and media and all this 'Hero' stuff.

We have footballing heroes,sports heroes,acting heros.

The only heroes I can think off are those who put their own lives at risk to save that of others.(battlefield or accident type things spring to mind)
    Theres a program on tv called 'Hellicopter Heroes' about the Yorkshire Air Ambulance paramedics.
    They do an excellent job etc but having worked on ours for 10 years I dont consider myself a hero,just another paramedic doing his job using an alternative form of transport.
    No doubt the lads dont see themselves as heroes niether but its the medias way of bumping it up.

Lets keep the word HERO for those who actually deserve it not some over paid,over rated luvvy or sports person.

I am also fed up with the amount of tv shows 'The Best Ever',The Greatest in the world etc.

Is the world about to end or what.

They just need to put the words 'So far' after it and theres no problem.

Just remembered Ive forgotten to have my tablet,best go before matron spots me using her laptop. :thumright:

2. Well said mate

3. Acting heroes? Are they waiting for confirmation then?

I do agree with you, but my pet hate at the moment is the number of people who are likening themselves or others to Olympic gold medal winners. There was the new leader of the Scottish Lib Dems (I can't remember his name, and frankly it's unimportant) who compared his new position to winning an Olympic gold; yeah, the special Olympics, 20m dash, for the retarded ('retarded' is the IOC recognised term, 'learning difficulties' is only used in countries where political correctness has gone mad) (Sorry, I meant '...where political correctness has encountered mental illness') or the firm of accountants who, according to my local freesheet have acheived the remarkable feat of gaining a new client (albeit a business with more than two employees), it's their equivalent of Olympic gold. What, so they've been doing little else for the last few years except working towards this one event, for which there were numerous competitors world-wide? Thought not.

4. I am in full agreement with you. I used to be DO to Lt Pete Reed - coxless 4s. He trained 27 days out of 28, pretty much watch on stop on for 3.5 years. That's commitment and dedication. Anything else simply does not compare.
    BTW, the Oxford English Dictionary defines a hero as "a man admired for brave deeds".

5. Rod, its the cravings of a mediocre society who don't appreciate who are our real heroes and heroines.

6. As opposed to Local Hero, which is the same rank, but you don't get paid the extra.