Monarch V President

Is it time to ditch the monarchy and become a republic?

• Total voters

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
True Democracy will only ever become a reality when it is the quality of the candidate which is the primary concern and not the size of his bank balance. Until that day comes I'll stay with what we have.

flymo

War Hero
A previous poster mentioned the number of republican protestors compared to the flag waving monarchists. I think you will find that there is your democracy.

The majority of the country wish to retain the Monarch as the Head of State.

Yes a good question but it's a shame as a moderator that he led the personal abuse brigade rather than submit his own valid opinions; that's if he has any?

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
As a parting thought as I take my tired old bones to bed.....Politicians, and I mean all of them, promise you things to get your vote. The only thing I have heard the Queen promise is to dedicate her life to the betterment of the Nation and Commonwealth. Is there really a choice? Goodnight shipmates.

danny

War Hero
I see where you are coming from but as we would not know until it came to pass who would throw their hat in the ring it is hypothetical. I will say that having a true democracy could hardly be considered a backward step as that would mean we were going back to the days before William the the Conqueror the founder of our current monarchical system.

How are you going to win this true democracy when the vast majority of people are happy to keep things as they are?

A previous poster mentioned the number of republican protestors compared to the flag waving monarchists. I think you will find that there is your democracy.

The majority of the country wish to retain the Monarch as the Head of State.

Thousands of people having a good day out is not definitive proof[FONT=arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]​

admiralscruff

Lantern Swinger
I believe Seadog has made his views clear on another thread. I refer thee to http://www.navy-net.co.uk/current-a...ueen-no-longer-rules-waves-2.html#post1085962

Quoted from Seadog
"Finknottle may like to consider that HM is CinC of HM Armed Forces. Who puts the Royal in Royal Navy, Royal Marines and Royal Fleet Auxiliary?

The republican movement admitted ten years ago that they were not only barking up the wrong tree but in the wrong forest. Time Finks did likewise.

And before he starts on the number of applications for Diamond Jubilee street parties in Scotland being indicative of a lack of enthusiasm for HM or the institution, no-one needs permission to have a party at home or in their garden. Blinkered shite spouting small picture gazing separatist republican chimps haven't done an analysis......because they are dishonest and/or can't."

Quoted from Finknottle
"
I will say that having a true democracy could hardly be considered a backward step as that would mean we were going back to the days before William the the Conqueror the founder of our current monarchical system"

Finknottle, the idea that England was democratic pre-1066 is utter bollocks. William the Bastard acted as king in a fashion no more or less democratic than the Anglo-Saxon (and odd Danish) kings who ruled England (and the 7 kingdoms that made up England before the unification under Alfred the Great). The one thing you could say is that the Anglo-Saxon kings shared the same culture and language, but this has become a more controversial idea as of late. Peasants were tied to their lands in the feudal manner and generally were not free-er than their post-conquest descendants. The rights of the common man don't even become seriously considered until later on. Anyway, although this is a really interesting historical era, I hate to drag it off topic.

Last edited:
Finks...I think you are being somewhat naiive in that statement. Since when have the public been able to vote for whom they want? It never happens. Those with the 'power' decide who's names will appear on the ballot paper.An election of a President will follow the same pattern as for General elections, people vote for the 'Party', not the person. So you WILL end up with a Blair, a Thatcher or even a Clegg. To say that it's the peoples choice is weak. As a Nation we know who our Head of State is. To change something on a whim, because thats all it is, would be a backward step. (My opinion anyway!)

rev timms two.jpgrev timms.jpg Ireland got Rev Timms for President...:\\\\\\\')

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Although we've never had a referendum on keeping the monarchy and havinga president, Australia did and they voted 54% in favour of a monarchy. Whilst that also means 46% voted for a president it does show a swing in favour of the monarchists.I would imagine the pro-monarchy vote would be considerably higher in the UK. One of the reasons for the Oz pro-monarchy vote is given as " that constitutional monarchy provides the basis for stable democratic government, with the Governor-General (the monarch's nominal representative) acting as an impartial, non-political "umpire" of the political process. Many distrusted the Australian political classes and believed the provision of executive powers to a local politician would result in an undesirably partisan head of state, instability, dictatorship, or a possible repeat of the 1975 Australian constitutional crisis." Which basically what I said earlier.

admiralscruff,

I was merely pointing out (maybe not very well) that the present system was brought here by your French conqueror over 900 years ago and that it is time we moved on. In the past their rule was enforced, now they keep themselves in place with a massive PR machine, basically you are being conned. Being in favour of a republic is not unpatriotic which some of you royalists seem to think, patriotism is a love of your country and all the good things it stands for, not the love of a single highly privileged person.

Are you seadog's PA?

Topstop

War Hero
The only true acceptable democracy is when youve got the TV controller in the sitting room when the Mrs has gone to bed.

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
admiralscruff,

I was merely pointing out (maybe not very well) that the present system was brought here by your French conqueror over 900 years ago and that it is time we moved on. In the past their rule was enforced, now they keep themselves in place with a massive PR machine, basically you are being conned. Being in favour of a republic is not unpatriotic which some of you royalists seem to think, patriotism is a love of your country and all the good things it stands for, not the love of a single highly privileged person.

Are you seadog's PA?
I must disagree with you there Finks. What this country has is unique. We have taken bits from every culture thats ever had the effrontary to come here. We took the best parts of the Roman occupation, bits of Viking, Saxon, Norman...you name it, we EVOLVED into the Great Britain that we have today. We had our own Civil War. Look how long it took for the people to bring back Charlie?

Latest Threads