Monarch V President

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Seadog, Jun 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Having witnessed the scenes of adulation / adoration and respect for Her Majesty these last few days ( and at a lower key, over the last 35 years) contrast and compare a Monarchy to a Republic.

Can even the most blinkered Republican see a president enjoying the displays of love and loyalty that HM engenders? With a gun to the head is not without bias. Or is it all down to the Queen herself rather than the institution she represents?

Let's ask.....finknottle.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. Monarch all the way. The septics have not got it right for over two hundred years and neither have France! I don't understand why anyone would want to change the head of state. Making one person accountable for a nation is not productive.

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

A long similar lines, can anyone think of a current candidate for UK President.

4. When you compare the number of countries with Presidents to those with constitutional monarchies the former wins hands down so it must ave something going for it. I think the way we operate the Monarchy in the UK is the secret to it's success.While the Queen is considered Head of State she doesn't have to get her hands dirty managing the country but merely rubber stamps whatever is handed to her by her Government.Presidents,however are in it up to their necks and the temptation to abuse power to further your own ends must be almost irresistable and this can clearly be seen in Presidences today.whatever safeguards are put into place to limit a presidents power they often work hard to circumvent.
    The Queen can be used to glad-hand and show hospitality to all manner of tyrant to further the UK's influence without being a threat to anyone and I expect there are plenty of countries who booted out their Royal Family when it was trendy now wish they had someone like the Queen rather than some slimey politician who has climbed the greasy pole back stabbing and palm greasing in equal measure.

5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Simple way to answer.

Would the sight of His Royal Blairness and the first Lady cherie standing on the balcony of the Peoples Palace (aka Buckingham Palace) engender the same crowd scenes as today.

Personally I think the answer is yes, but only if the crowds were en route for a good spot of house clearance...

6. Monarchy, definitely. I have nothing but respect for the Queen and all the work she's done over the last 60 years, and I don't think there's a politician I could respect at all as head of state. Also, I find the tradition of it all comforting, particularly in these uncertain times. Even if you wanted rid of it, I think there are more important issues at the moment than the constitution.

Speaking of which, the Queen (I think William and Kate are coming as well) is visiting my town next week, and I'm hoping to go, if other commitments don't prevent me

7. Well I take my hat off to the Windsor’s (The Great Survivors) and their advisors, I could not have done a better job myself of winning over the masses. Now, to don the republican hat, what does amuse me is that if you hear of a MP or some other high earner dodging his/her taxes you are all queuing up to mount the bus, yet you remain subserviently silent when the royals strike a special deal with HMRC over their vast unearned income?

8. I'm sure I spotted Alex Salmond in St Paul's today.

9. I think the monarchy wins it as an apolitical head of state, that can come in handy at times when meeting and greeting presidents etc.

10. My cousin was at St Andrews with Salmond and like the rest of the clan he cannot stand the self server either.

11. Seadog

finknottle wrote
    Of course you couldn't. You are not equipped personally or professionally to win over a gay bar on an Uncle Albert theme night let alone the masses. Tell me something I don't know.

The Establishment/Crown/ State/Government/Courts/Authority/Warrant etc isn't your stong point is it finknottle? HMRC = Her Majesty's Revenue And Customs.

12. Seadog

finknottle wrote

No no, Salmond was at St Paul's today. Oh, you mean the University...ancient history.... Finknottle, you are a difficult chap to follow; like wee Eck.

13. jubileeprotesthome.jpg
    A gay bar on an Uncle Albert theme night, something you know about Seadog?

I always wondered what HMRC stands for when I am filling in my tax return, thank you for that elucidation what a clever chap you are.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wee Eck can't stand anyone who's English, not just the Queen but, in true stereotypical Scots style, doesn't mind the money.

I hope and pray Scotland gets independance and he gets himself in as President. It'll be like Munich in 1936 all over again.

Edited for bad ENGLISH (not Gaelic).

15. Our resident troll must have missed the fact that there were 100-odd anti-Monarchy protesters as against hundreds of thousands who were quite happy to wave the Union flag and sing God Save The Queen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  16. He's using selective photo pasting, a bit like selective hearing and just as obvious.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
  17. As Thomas Paine put it, over 200 years ago, for many 'a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance of being right.'

Too often I have read on RR by those who argue against a republic that they don't want president Blair or president Thatcher etc, I think it is safe to assume that we wouldn't get any of them. Democracy is about the people getting what they want. If the people are overwhelmingly against the idea of former Prime Ministers becoming president then you wouldn't get a former Prime Ministers as president. Ultimately it's for the people to decide. If you don't want them, don't vote for them and you won't get them. If you do want them, do vote for them and you will get them and if they turn out to be shite get rid of them.[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

18. In some less democratic countries they would have been beaten up etc.

We are much more tolerant and allow everyone to protest without holding it against them.
    Thats what makes this country a cut above the rest.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AD, my posts on this issue are only inflammatory to those who are unable for whatever reason to enter intelligently into the debate so you should either do that if you can and grow up.

• Like Like x 1
  20. so they are inflammatory to yourself? O.O

I sense that this thread is going to be a monumental train-wreck.