Moderation at RR

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by BreathingOutOnTheWayUp, Feb 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. .
    Seriously - On the general subject of Moderators.

This site is a lively one and the subject of Moderation is never far from being a hot topic*.

A RR Moderator is inevitably a gamekeeper/poacher; sometimes even allegedly shifting hats/seats within the same post, (I'm thinking F------- vs. S---------- and more recently R------- vs. A N Other Moderator) so there's no wonder that there are so few regular and senior RR contributors with a thick enough skin and currently willing to accept that irksome role and thus step up to the mark whenever a round turn or 'card' of any description is obviously called for - Across ALL of the Forums.

It seems to me that to curtail the hanging offences and avoid any future 'misunderstandings' each RR Moderator could (should?) have TWO separate c/s ID's at RR:

Whilst using their MOD-free c/sign that individual could then feel free to post whatever and wherever within this relatively small community without let or hindrance of any MOD-Millstone Tag.

That very same person could then, figuratively, blow their hatchet and swing their whistle but 'anonymously'; by using their other (admittedly a 'sock-puppet' but kosher MOD-Accredited) call sign whenever such intervention is deemed appropriate yet without any backlash or personal grief coming back to inhibit their other, non-Mod signed contributions.

Perhaps the Train set owners could consider massaging this concept and circulate it as an Agenda Item for their private discussions among all active and absent/inactive RR Moderators, please?

It might also be worth discretely canvassing a few of the more senior RR regulars by PM for their take on this subject, too.

Old 'Uncle' Bob

(A fairly frequent RR contributor/occ. crayoner - Who values RR* but a stated non-candidate for any Moderator role.)

*Please also see my thread:
    http://www.navy-net.co.uk/gash-barge/67672-whom-may-concern.html

That was fairly recent but it is puzzling that not one Moderator offered an input among those 103 postings.

2. Dunno about that idea, it's a bit like running with the Hare and the hounds.
    Most mods have got a pair and keep reasonably good order.
    Anyway I need to know where Seadog is so I can keep an eye on him.
    On a serious note I have no problem with Seadog I have always found him to be pretty straight and call a spade a spade. I made my recent comments because he seemed to be a little smarmy for a post or two and it did not become him. I took the bull by the horns and told him and he seems to have gone back to his usual dry but fair ways. No problem there.
    The only other time I had mod problems were with twiggy many moons ago.
    The reason most drip about moderation is either if its aimed at them or just because their mardy moody matelots and that's what jack excels at, especially when he is questioned as to his expertise.
    Having said that there is a need to curtail or cull outbursts as we saw with the Finks fiasco, which to my mind was a mod trying to run with what he seems to think "the in crowd."
    However I as always will support any idea that is for the greater glory of RR a site I do enjoy although they allow some dubious underwater types.

• Like Like x 2
  3. In general I think the Mods on RR are doing a reasonable to good job, well most of them do anyway, and they step in only when it is called for, unfortunatly one or two will step in when its not, or worse still, step in when their personal goals/thoughts have been challenged rather than RR policy

• Like Like x 4
  4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Bob, I'm certain you mean well, but, as I said in a previous thread, I do think you are trying to hard to take on the moral guardian role and have been a bit precious over recent events, no offence intended at all by the way. Heed rummers' wise words.

5. Bob, nice idea but it wont work and have "seen" it not work.

Lantern swing mode <ON>. In Med on exercise and the Greek warship calls up the EW Control ship, only to be answered by himself using the EWC callsign.

How about giving the plebs the chance to castigate a mod and get a decision over turned if the mods decision os seen to be to harsh ... even too lenient ... - i.e. the forum becomes overseen by the users. Power to the people .. with apologies to Wolfie Smith ... oh just go and Google the name ...

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Oh goody..... a MOD thread, it's been a while....

And if anyone thinks I'm clever enough to switch between log ins when I'm half cut and taking the piss then carry on :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Watcha mean you can't multi task ..tsk .. tsk ...

8. As one who in the past has castigated MODs I have finally come to the conclusion that I was wasting my time.
    Most MODs are reasonable and do a good job, the MODs who are pissed with their own importance are going to carry on regardless of whether their actions are reasonable or not.
    Bit like politicians in miniture:smile:

9. I'm with you there Blobby, I don't think you're cleaver enough.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A few years back a 'wise Canadian submariner' (yes, a three word contradiction) suggested, in his experience: "To Moderate" actually means "To do less".

Burp. Another tinnie anyone?

11. Shut up and say thank you.

12. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Just out of interest, who moderates Lil's?

On ARRSE, the NAAFI is moderated by some big personalities and it works (apart from a load of strokers being on there these days). I kind of see where Bob is coming from to be honest. Current Affairs should remain serious (as much as possible) as should Joining up (except for the really bone questions. I mean, some of them are really thick. I may have to bump my thread) but Lil's needs some good MOD's who moderate using their brains. Lil's does carry a warning and should remain as the pigs bar of the site. However, the last thing we want this site to become is ARRSE.

13. Apart from treason slander or conspiracy to kill, I cannot ever remember lil's needing a moderator.
    Why would it?

14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Even the shithouses need a sheriff.

I vote you.

• Like Like x 1
  15. To cut some of the banal shite that you post.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I see what people mean now about constant crayoning so I have revised my post due to respecting this is site issues.
    Original reply edited.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  17. Setting aside Blobs stated inability to have and operate two IDs it is often obvious from the comments and the wordage who is making a post whatever ID they have assumed to make it so I see little point in trying what the OP has suggested.All that is required is fair and consistant Modding which most of the time is what we get now.

• Like Like x 2