"MoD threat to ruin RM hero who threw himself on grenade"

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by soleil, Jan 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

That's just fcuking typical of the shallow [email protected] that are in charge. How about banning Generals and politicians from inflicting their memoirs on us.

2. Re: "MoD threat to ruin RM hero who threw himself on grenade

To be fair to the departments involved I suspect that when a book is written by a member of the forces there are a number of checklist based enquiries made.

In this case it would appear that at a certain point down that list a public servant found an unresolved issue, the result of which was that an investigation was started. Outcome of the investigation? Nothing to report, crack on. Bit of a non-story in my opinion.

There must have been hell to play though, when they realised he wasn't ex SAS!

3. A very valid point Blobs, but they have ceased serving presumably whilst LCpl Coucher is still RMR.

However, another thing pointed out to me by the PO Stoker this morning, when I tried to discuss this over breakfast - he pointed out that I was very much against the lads and lass captured in Iran selling their stories, so why should I be in favour of this? I couldn't have it both ways and I didn't really have an answer.

What sticks in our collective craws is that this man has been recognised for his heroism and now the MOD behave in a typically underhanded way against him. I don't know the answer to this, because I appreciate that it is important to have the D Notice committee and the work that it does, but was it necessary to humilate this man in this way?

4. Re: "MoD threat to ruin RM hero who threw himself on grenade

Or was it a case of 'Oh shit the press have got hold of it, better let it carry on'.

5. Re: "MoD threat to ruin RM hero who threw himself on grenade

Could well be!

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Didn't some other bloke write war stories as "His main job" between campaigns? If I recall he became a politician of some note, a few years ago now though. 8)

7. Re: "MoD threat to ruin RM hero who threw himself on grenade

Gave a good boost to the RMR morale etc BZ that man. For years many in the RM looked down on the RMR not realising what it takes family and work pressures to train to the standard required to earn that green lid and keep the fitness levels to RM standard.

He has saved thousands on RMR advertising and boosted RMR recruiting I would say. Deserves every penny.

8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Bully for him and [email protected] to the civilians in the MoD.

9. Re: "MoD threat to ruin RM hero who threw himself on grenade

good effort Royal!

10. Re: "MoD threat to ruin RM hero who threw himself on grenade

What are the chances of the MOD ever calling him up again?

11. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: "MoD threat to ruin RM hero who threw himself on grenade

Has anyone read the book?

Is it worth a read?

12. Re: "MoD threat to ruin RM hero who threw himself on grenade

Good case of discrimination if they did'nt!!!!!
    If he wanted to go that is!
    I think the MOD would and should carry their tail between their legs and sneak away. If they pushed this there'd be a public outcry! and rightly so!

13. Oi, we're not all bad! Some of us do our damndest to do the best that we can for our Services Personnel.

Considering that the lad got permission before publishing, the kerfuffle that ensued seems unwarranted. Some wannbe-but-never-made-it probably made a complaint and it _had_ to be followed up on; wasting precious time and resource that would have been better spent on the lads and lasses on Ops.

14. Slightly of topic, but i was on H7 and with the other TQs saw the body armour and what type of damage it did. I must say i was very impressed with it. As you can imagine the out layer of the armour was completely destroyed but the inside layer (closest to the body) was almost fine. You could see where the fragmentations was trying to go through but never penertrated. But what a brave lad indeed.