MoD spies on injured troops

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by YouAreHavingALaugh, Jul 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

True, in which case the MoD are wasting money because they don't believe their own Doctors.

Interestingly there are 87, 000 civil servants in the MoD. remind me again how many are in the Navy?
  2. Unfortunately this is a fact of life.I was informed by my solicitors testerday that uk coal have been using vidio to spy on workers and ex workers ove there claims for VWF .It is only they hope so to find people out so they dont have to pay out .The way of life i suppose
  3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Done to death on ARRSE - bottom line is that there have been roughly 30,000 claims made in the last 9 years, and surveillance done on roughly 250 people.

Only done as a total last resort when people are suspected on exagerating their injuries for the purposes of defrauding MOD.

Complete non story - one of the investigators is defending their actions on ARRSE at the moment, its legal, its above board, and if it were anyone other than the forces being checked out, then people here would support it.
  4. I find this despicable,as has been said before why employ Doctors in the forces if they cannot assess the % of disability of injured servicemen and women?
    Here in Spain they have set up a hotline for Benefit Fraud,and they are trawling ubanisations to try and catch people out.
    The money would be better spent on investigating MPs expenses and the number of hours they spend in the House of Commons and in their constuencies and the number of hours they spend on Quangos etc.
    I have been a War Pensioner since 1994 and had to have a medical every couple of years until approx 5 years ago when they set my claim,and now no more reviews unless my condition gets worse.
    I pray it doesnt I can assure you all that I would sooner have my health than any pension
    I do not look disabled but had 2 discs fused they are C5/C6 and am having major problems with C7 and spondolosis of the spine.
    I get on with my life as I am sure that the majority of other injured service personnel do
    What can't be changed must be endured

5. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

According to the latest State of the Nation briefing given at Collingwood, there are 96,000 MOD Civil servants for HM Forces that consist of no more than 195,000 regular forces...
  6. If a serviceman is claiming benefits when no longer entitled to, perhaps due to his condition improving then there is nothing wrong with being investigated. We all now of lead swingers in the mob who dodged drafts etc, due to conditions which medicals could not prove did not exist (back problem?) The fact that they served has no bearing on the matter. We need more investigations done on the long term benefit claimants though, the guy you meet in the pub who will decorate your house, put in a patio etc for cash in hand.
    Benefit fraud is costing the tax payer far more than MPs dodgy expenses.
  7. The trouble is we all know of lead-swingers. How many times before deploying do you have chats about who will not sail, and low and behold you are right. My last deployment we knew someone wasn't intending to deploy by the fact that they had no gear onboard, the day before due decided to do the fitness test, one lap in
    oooh me backs gone. Cheer's easy 6 months off.

And looking around in Nelson, it's always the same old faces who are meant to be at sea, but have so called medical problems, doesn't stop them going ashore and carrying grips when going on leave though.

Rant over.
  8. Problem is that many of these will get a medical disharge. Why shouldn't they be investigated? :twisted:
  9. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"According to the latest State of the Nation briefing given at Collingwood, there are 96,000 MOD Civil servants for HM Forces that consist of no more than 195,000 regular forces... "

Its 87,000 - but within that 87,000 you have to include the following:
    Industrial workers - dockyard staff ,stores assistants, crane workers,
    Scientists - DSTL and all the rocket types
    Bar staff / mess staff - still quite a few out there
    All the admin staff in units / UPOs
    Defence Housing people
    Intelligence Analysts
    Nursery Assistants
    Canteen staff
    Boat crews
    Defence Fire Service

The actual number of desk bound 'policy' type civil servants is a fraction of the numbers in the MOD CS - a few thousand at most across all grades and locations.

The thing with MOD is that most people equate 86000 CS to being 86000 shiny suits in Whitehall - the reality is that the MOD CS is an all embracing term for an organisation which provides support to the armed forces on every continent on earth, across 1200 bases and locations, handling everything from cooking baked beans to designing thermonuclear warheads and everything in between.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, 87,000 was the figure I was quoted too.

What actual number of thousands CS work in "desk bound 'policy' type civil servant" posts? Is it a big fraction or a little one?

Smoke & mirrors?

I'd dispute the fact that the above individuals are entirely Civil Servants- the vast majority are paid by the MoD but work for private companies such as SodExHo, Flagship, SERco, Office Angels & a raft of other private companies that change their names with alarming frequency. The Civil service contribution is much higher-up the food chain than Civil Servant welders & Boats crews.
  11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Roughly one civil serpent per 2 squaddies, how pampered are you lot... :p

You must want for nothing with that kind of hands on man management.... 8)
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Yep every single ship could be managed by an Admiral & two Captains, with two Civil Servants each to help us try to fathom out JPA. :lol:

Where's Norman when you need a quote? :cry:
  13. Some of the above services are contracted out,but there are still a large number of lower grade Civil Servants,some in industrial type jobs,within the Ministry.The numbers at policy making levels is roughly equivalent to the number of Captains and starred officers in the Navyi.e. relativly few.