MOD seeks ideas to preserve HMS Illustrious

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by hackle, Oct 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Polyurethane varnish?
  3. Nightclub. The hangar would make an awesome rave venue, and they could hire out the cabins as f*ckpads for anyone who got lucky. Not a great change from its present usage, quite frankly. :-D
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Replacement for Portland floating nick?
  5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Whilst I agree in principle that a floating nick is a good idea, I doubt that it would be economically viable Wrecks.
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Sink it as a reef.
  7. janner

Sell it to the Indians, that way we would get some of our money back.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TO, stick all the Parkhurst nasties on it and if it sinks, ho hum, janner has his reef and the taxpayer has less mutants to maintain.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. tiddlyoggy

But what about their Ooooman rights?????
  10. Leave the UWT onboard, they can complain that way.
  11. Dock it in London next to HMS Belfast.
  12. Why would they be interested? they're in line for one of the new carriers to replace the old "Hermes" that they are taking out of service in 2018.:salute:
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tiddlyoggy

tomcat-who would fund that, because I seriously doubt it would generate a self sustaining income. FAA, janner's comment was tongue in cheek in reference to the foreign aid we willingly throw at them (I believe). What are you/joining up as?
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  14. Cadet training ship, they could fit them all on at once.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  15. I have the perfect idea, scrap it and give the money raised to save HMS Plymouth oh wait to late :'(
  16. Could always use it as a harbour training ship. Greenies, clankies, woo's (all branches)and loggies could all get used to a real working environment. Plenty of areas for dabbers to play with as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. janner

Some fall on stony ground!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Isnt Bristol already used for this?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. well you could, but in reality it's far too big...

I'm not sure I see the point of this to be honest. If they were going to "save" one of them then IMO Invincible was the one to save. In terms of museum ships I think frigates are much easier to deal with - the govt could and should have given some sort of money to HMS Plymouth if we're going to have a national Falklands memorial ship, but I guess at the moment the choice for such is HMS Bristol, HMS Bristol, or, er, HMS Bristol. Which, again, is far too big for some charity to deal with. HMS Belfast only works because of the IWM, and I've got serious doubts about the long term chances of HMS Caroline....
    • Like Like x 1
  20. How about if it was used to train personnel for the CVF operations?