MOD seeks ideas to preserve HMS Illustrious

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
tomcat-who would fund that, because I seriously doubt it would generate a self sustaining income. FAA, janner's comment was tongue in cheek in reference to the foreign aid we willingly throw at them (I believe). What are you/joining up as?

Last edited:
Could always use it as a harbour training ship. Greenies, clankies, woo's (all branches)and loggies could all get used to a real working environment. Plenty of areas for dabbers to play with as well.

Could always use it as a harbour training ship. Greenies, clankies, woo's (all branches)and loggies could all get used to a real working environment. Plenty of areas for dabbers to play with as well.
well you could, but in reality it's far too big...

I'm not sure I see the point of this to be honest. If they were going to "save" one of them then IMO Invincible was the one to save. In terms of museum ships I think frigates are much easier to deal with - the govt could and should have given some sort of money to HMS Plymouth if we're going to have a national Falklands memorial ship, but I guess at the moment the choice for such is HMS Bristol, HMS Bristol, or, er, HMS Bristol. Which, again, is far too big for some charity to deal with. HMS Belfast only works because of the IWM, and I've got serious doubts about the long term chances of HMS Caroline....

tomcat24

Lantern Swinger
well you could, but in reality it's far too big...

I'm not sure I see the point of this to be honest. If they were going to "save" one of them then IMO Invincible was the one to save. In terms of museum ships I think frigates are much easier to deal with - the govt could and should have given some sort of money to HMS Plymouth if we're going to have a national Falklands memorial ship, but I guess at the moment the choice for such is HMS Bristol, HMS Bristol, or, er, HMS Bristol. Which, again, is far too big for some charity to deal with. HMS Belfast only works because of the IWM, and I've got serious doubts about the long term chances of HMS Caroline....
How about if it was used to train personnel for the CVF operations?