MOD Rail Warrants

Discussion in 'UPO' started by Drayton, Dec 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I looked on the National Rail website for train times last Friday and noticed that the rail fare was £89.00, but on exchanging my travel warrant the ticket was charged at £172.00!

Does anyone know why this is?

Also the same happen a few months ago when I got a flight, obviously pusser paid but it was so much cheaper online.

?

2. Its not a new fact. No idea why though it is though.

3. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

The MOD gets charged top whack for everything, get used to it.

4. I dont think anyone else will bite but I am well available for it as am bored sat in a chalet in Sweden in a blizzard! The mob in their infinite wisdom buy a ticket that is valid for one calendar month instead of when you are actually coming back! When I was doing my resettlement they would not let me get a flight up north from Scumhampton(saving them £100 and me about 10 hours!)so I got a train via London and it cost a bomb! Bonkers but there will be a back hander in there somewhere!

5. tiddlyoggy

Mental isn't it, just like they won't let you use a railcard and claim it back even though it's cheaper than a warrant.

6. I'm surprised that you're still allowed warrants: simply because of the cost issue.

7. I think it's all to do with contracts and stuff (I know all the technical terms), and girthsmiths comment is true as far as I know - you don't get a warrant for a specific journey but an 'open' one. I agree you would think there would be a cheaper way, but maybe the 'admin' on both sides would negate any gains. Maybe that is, I'm being devil's advocate - not saying it's my view or the correct answer.

True about the railcard though and those still serving should be careful never to use them for duty journeys (with all the best intentions), as they will (should) not only not get a refund but leave themselves open to disciplinary action. Bonkers maybe, but them's the rules!

8. ^Oh, and I'm sure SJRM_RN can advise well on this subject^ :grin:

9. I'm sure things have picked up a bit now SJ but though the system you mentioned was in place (though new) about three years ago there was still often the belief (mainly, but not solely, amongst officers) that it would be 'easier' to purchase their own ticket and reclaim the fare. For example last minute meetings arranged over the weekend. Clearly acting in good faith, but surely to say there is 'no chance' is inaccurate?

Hasten to add, just a question - I'm sure a lot has changed since I was last 'in the know'.

10. Aye, fair enough. An ongoing spat (though friendly as he realised I was trying to protect us both [JPA was very much watching] and appreciated that it was the 'rulebook' that was the issue) with a dentist at you-know-where was caused by the reason I indicated. Being almost in their own little world (no offence intended there) he had bimbled off to Smoke for a meeting, probably about teeth I suppose, and with the honest intention of helping us all picked up a ticket with his railcard. When I bounced it back (as I was obliged to do for those who are now going to hate me) we had an ongoing amicable row for a few weeks til he did the easy thing and got the tooth Captain to e-mail me and authorise breaking the rules. I was a civvy so fine by me.

But yes, unlike me, slim I'm sure :)

11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...as an aside, those who are no longer serving may be surprised to learn that the Forces Railcard is no longer free! Personnel are now charged £15.00 from their pay account. :shock:

12. Although by the time you've used it a couple of times you've probably saved more than it cost. Also, it only lasts 12 months now...

13. I drive but I've used my railcard a few times and it's saved me fortune when having to use the train. Worth it's 15 quid

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. I'd forgotten about the Rail Cards! Mind living on the Island the only time I got to use it was up the pier! I was always under the impression that Pusser paid the "Standard" rate for tickets which I guess equals the "open" ticket alluded to by others whereas you or I would shop around and get Off Peak / Saver Tickets hence the difference.

Travel for us civvies is much the same and while I can get "cheap rate" tickets from the Cash Office for private journeys they are on open tickets whereas if I go direct to the service providers (trains /boats & planes) I can often get a super saver or similar cheaper. Same shit different cap tally!

15. tiddlyoggy

I agree with Tommo, even at £15 the railcard is well worth having. One trip to London from Guzz (army V navy rugby weekend) sees me in profit, factor in travelling to see Wasps play and I'm well up.

16. I assume you don't use them then? Are they the meat and drink of JR's.

17. tiddlyoggy

Don't forget the SR's!!!(though I know the powers that be have done!)

18. JSP 830 what a read!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. . You clearly don't go to sea... This only happens in shore establishments.

20. Just noticed that. I wish that was the friggin case. I was still writing warrants out this time last year.