MoD News: "Members Of The Armed Forces To Receive New Medal"

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
"I also wonder why in these austere times they went to the expense of minting new medals. Surely some sort of clasp to go on the 2002 medal would have been a much cheaper alternative and less trouble for the tailoress??????"

Because if the MOD did that, then you can bet your bottom dollar that all sorts of media outlets who like causing trouble would be complaining that we were short changing those brave boys who only got a clasp and not a medal...

Also, there aren't that many people out there with the GJM anymore - anyone with it will have been in for a minimum of 16 years by the time the Diamond one comes around, so actually many of the forces don't have it anymore. I will be impressed though if anyone manages the 'triple' of silver, gold, diamond- do you think they get some kind of bonus for that?

"I also wonder why in these austere times they went to the expense of minting new medals. Surely some sort of clasp to go on the 2002 medal would have been a much cheaper alternative and less trouble for the tailoress??????"

Because if the MOD did that, then you can bet your bottom dollar that all sorts of media outlets who like causing trouble would be complaining that we were short changing those brave boys who only got a clasp and not a medal...

Also, there aren't that many people out there with the GJM anymore - anyone with it will have been in for a minimum of 16 years by the time the Diamond one comes around, so actually many of the forces don't have it anymore. I will be impressed though if anyone manages the 'triple' of silver, gold, diamond- do you think they get some kind of bonus for that?
21 in 77
46 in 02
56 in 12

Can't be done can it? with 55 top age on the lower deck. Or is the age higher?

tomm90

Lantern Swinger
21 in 77
46 in 02
56 in 12
Can't be done can it? with 55 top age on the lower deck. Or is the age higher?
Agreed, but what could be done, if a regular with 16 years service in 2012 who has both QGJM & QDJM, then the Queen dies within a period of one to five years (before the regular is pensioned off) will also be entitled to a third medal issued for the coronation of King Charles.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
Agreed, but what could be done, if a regular with 16 years service in 2012 who has both QGJM & QDJM, then the Queen dies within a period of one to five years (before the regular is pensioned off) will also be entitled to a third medal issued for the coronation of King Charles.
I hated being a swisher, then I got more and I realised what a pain they are, the expense and cleaning the damn things [still haven't perfected that].

Not considered what happens if Her Maj should ever pass away and Prince C gets promoted. Did they do Coronation medals for the Prince Elizabeth :queen:?

15 years left to run, never even thought about being in when events like these could happen.

G

guestm

You're joking aren't you? A quick look in any SRs mess will reveal bucketloads of them.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Nina Stroker must be front runner ;P
Git.

Not quite:

Silver 77
Joined Mob 81
Gold 02
Diamond 12

So only two out of three, like many still serving.

That said, if there is anyone with the full set it'll probably be the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles & someone in the Naval Careers Service (NCS).

Reckon there must be a fair few of us still serving in the NCS with the South Atlantic gong, but few in frontline RN service.

Latest Threads